Accessory belt removal

stewdogg

Is it true that you have to remove the front end of the truck to get the belts off? I just talked to the local dealers service dept and they told me that is the way they get to them.
Everything seems to be really expensive on these models of Sprinters. Seems like parts are really expensive and the labor to get to routine maintenance items is crazy. I have two older Sprinters and they don't seem to be such a pain in the butt.
I guess I'm going to start pulling the front end and moving things back far enough to get the fan shroud out...

2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500 CRD 3.0 turbo diesel

Thanks for any and all help!

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Find another dealer,

Remove cooling fan and push it forward towards the radiator (no need to pull it right out). Walk fan belt off the front pulleys (and thats how MB says to do it in the service manual). Place a suitable tool on the main belt tensioner to relieve belt tension. Remove belt. It is a bit awkward but it sure beats "remove front of truck".

stewdogg

So then I take it I must need a much smaller spanner wrench to hold the pully in order to remove the fan clutch... I have a GM spanner wrench.

I just replaced the belt tensioner on my 2005 Sprinter and while it was a pain in the butt it's not close to the pain that the 2007 is.

stewdogg

Are you all replacing belts as part of preventative maintenance or are they breaking?
Truck has 230,000 miles and the belt was starting to show cracks on the ribs within 3-5 mm of each other... so preventative maintenance. This truck does about 350miles a day and I would like to prevent having a snapped belt on the road.
I got the specific spanner wrench to get the fan off the clutch. The job is done... the earlier modles are much easier
Thanks!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip>
I got the specific spanner wrench to get the fan off the clutch. The job is done... the earlier modles are much easier
Thanks!
Where did you get the wrench and is there a SKU or a part number that can be used to find the right one?

-Jon

lockmedic

You'll also need a 36mm open end wrench which can be hard to source locally. Best order both if you're planning on changing it yourself.

http://www.kochtools.com/index.php?p=product&id=116

$40 for the counterholder and the 36mm thin wrench.

Doesn't help me much today as the belt broke and rather than keeping my prime moneymaker down for a week or so waiting for a wrench, I'm paying Freightliner $115 to change it (EDIT: they wound up charging $320. . .extra hour to replace two idler pulleys and tell me my turbo inlet seal was damaged). I'm cheap and stubborn but not stupid. I attempted to make the counterholder from a 1" pipe flange with a handle welded to it. . . it worked but the 36mm wrench I got from the local parts store had already been rounded out for me. Gave up and trailered it to the dealer (wanna talk scary? 7,000lb van being towed by a 3/4 ton truck).

I'm buying the wrenches not so much for belt changing but to have them for when I inevitably have to take something else off the motor. Belt went 136k miles before breaking so no complaints. So long as I don't lose them before I need 'em again I'll be set.

Last edited:

Top Bottom