AC noise on turn on??

JamesM

Occasionally when I turn on the AC, or start my '06 van when the AC switch has been left on, I get a a short, loud noise that sounds like belt or clutch slippage/groaning(or worse). It stops after a couple of seconds. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with this type of problem? It is infrequent enough that I'm sure the dealer won't be able to duplicate it but I don't want to let it get more serious if possible.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
James:

Do you have rear A/C?

I've only heard this happening on Sprinters that have the rear A/C.

Seek

What Next

Had it happen twice I figured it was the belt slipping a little. No I do not have rear air. The one time I had washed engine so everything was wet.

JamesM

Sik,I do have the rear AC and first heard the noise when the rear AC was turned on.
This thing looks like it has two compressors with one that uses the serpentine belt and the second that uses a single v belt. Is this correct?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
This thing looks like it has two compressors with one that uses the serpentine belt and the second that uses a single v belt. Is this correct?
That's correct James. The compressor with the single V-belt is for the rear A/C.

JamesM

The small belt would appear to be a likely source of slippage--even tight. I wonder if a different brand or anti slip coating would help--over tightening seems like a bad alternative.

Aubie

My '06 does the same thing, but only when I turn on the rear AC for the first time. The dealer said it's the oil settling in the compressor from sitting overnight and nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Top Bottom