Input Power Boxes w/ 220 & 110

Looking for some high amerage input boxes to run power into a Sprinter from an external generator. Any ideas? We're talking in the 30A 220v / 50A 110 ranges. Figure there's gotta be something better than the honda transfer switch.
I plan on running a Honda 7000i generator to power my needs and will mount it directly into the receiver hitch. Will probably add a secondary muffler system to quiet it all down...

Last edited:

BMA

Looking for some high amerage input boxes to run power into a Sprinter from an external generator. Any ideas? We're talking in the 30A 220v / 50A 110 ranges. Figure there's gotta be something better than the honda transfer switch.
I plan on running a Honda 7000i generator to power my needs and will mount it directly into the receiver hitch.
Weight on hitch??? 500lbs limit.

Anyways...

Transfer switches are simple things.:D They are either DPDT or 3PDT switches with a high enough current rating. DP versus 3P depends on if you need to switch ground also. I can't remember if vehicles need ground switched also. :idunno: You will have to research that. The main key is you have to switch both L1, L2 and Ground in 240VAC or Line, Neutral and Ground in 120VAC from one input source to the other with a common throw of the switch, assuming Ground needs to be switched. Beyond the switch you need a housing that will allow enough volume for the wires to stay cool. NEC code book will tell you how large that needs to be. I did an AC relay based transfer switch for shore versus inverter power. As long as shore power was available it used it, but as soon as it failed it switched over to the inverter. I did have a set of switches in some of the circuits to allow it to force over to inverter or shore power for specific circuits, but that complicated the logic some. Note, it is often easier to get relays to handle 50 Amps than switches. Also route your wires in the box so the two inputs and output are separated and don't cross each other. This can be tricky.

On the transfer switch box I made I did the switching on a circuit by circuit basis so my relays were 20Amp units and I used circuit breakers on each circuit. You may need input circuit breakers. In the application I did that was handled by the sources having their own overload protection.

DigiKey has most of the parts for the voltage and amperage ranges you want to use. You may need to cut holes for mounting stuff, etc. The rest of the parts can be found at stores like Home Depot or Menards.

Last edited:

Top Bottom