Stuck injectors

lindenengineering

Guys
Have any of you experienced stuck injectors in your 2.7 diesel engine?

We have just removed 5 (yes five) injectors after making up a puller using the cap (as an attachment) found under the electric solenoid section of the injector.
Tough going-- using oven cleaner to loosen the carbon we carefully pulled them out without any damage to the head. It took us two days of shop time to complete the task.
Customer was told by the dealer he would need a new head!
Dennis

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
If you do a search for "black death" on the forum, I think you'll find that the community knows about the problem. New heads and other parts are often the dealeship's answer.

I'm an avid reader of Sprinter information and I think using oven cleaner is um, a creative first.

-Jon

lindenengineering

Jon
Hi
I am going to try Kroil next time--apparently it is used in the petroleum industry for freeing off such things. In any case oven cleaner did some good this time!

Yes I know the dealer's solutions seem be a "blitz/shotgun techiques" and replace it all. Then I have picked up alot of valuable customers by providing proper cost effective repair solutions.
From my experiences you meet the nicest people in Sprinters.:thumbup:
Dennis

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Dennis try the black kettle approach:Simply put set up a hot steam process overnight it melts the carbon down including freeing up frozen injectors,it is rare for a injector to break inside of the head.
Best of luck.
Richard

Jon
Yes I know the dealer's solutions seem be a "blitz/shotgun techiques" and replace it all. ...
Dennis
In their defense the dealerships work under different rules and expectations than smaller shops do. The dealerships are expected and most times required to do things OEM, and right the first time... that is not an unreasonable expectation on the part of the customer. They lose points if they try a repair and it fails, and gain little for trying to save the customer money. Even if they tell a customer up front that the repair may not be 100% people tend to forget they were warned if they need to return.

Small shops on the other hand have the advantage of dealing with a sticker shocked customer who comes in trying to avoid the big buck repair. You can generally save them money by using alternate techniques. Even if they might need to come back once more for a final solution, as long as it works out they know the alternative was very expensive so they're a bit more forgiving. Nobody cuts a dealership a break if they need return visits. It's a different environment. That said, it's great that you can help your customers avoid high cost repairs.

We've used Kroil. It's awesome stuff.

My opinion and worth everything you'll pay for it. vic

lindenengineering

Actually as a small independant shop we strive to produce the best possible under the circumstances directed by the customer.

We don't mind sharing some of our repair techniques and of course post them on forums like this.
Overall we try to treat a customer more as a friend than a simple customer with a problem.

So far as the injector saga removal is concerned we simply shared a way of a DIYer to find a way to remove a stubborn injector or two!
In fact we have just ordered from Germany the factory tool to do this PLUS the reamer for injector seat refurbishment AND the tool to repair the glow plug sheering problem! That gives our customers the alternative to a new head etc when the unthinkable rears its ugly head!

We are commited to giving honest, fair repair techniques to Sprinter owners, parts are still our biggest problem and I have to fight the bean counter in the back with the pretty face on parts stocking levels and expenditure a'k'a the missus, Linda!
Cheers Dennis
ps I will post the Kroil experiences as they get tested D

Top Bottom