2004 sprinter black smokes when acceletation

chuck Sand

There is no sluggish from engine just black smoke, changed egr recently this one is buzzing when it running never had other one doing this,, changed turbor resonator no help. Put on machine and Mechanic said the turbo stayed 14.5 should be 23 so would this be low fuel pressure? if pressure would be low would the fuel pressure cause it to smoke? I would think it would be excessive fuel pressure, any help on this greatly appreciated. What would you suggest that the problem would be????
Chuck

Last edited:

I'm with Jon... I'm not an expert, but since no one's answered your specific questions:

changed egr recently this one is buzzing when it running never had other one doing this
What were the symptoms before changing the EGR? Why was the EGR changed? Have you been experiencing LHM Limp Home Mode from the beginning?

changed turboator no help.
I'm sorry to not understand. Was the turbocharger changed? Was the turbo resonator changed?

Put on machine and Mechanic said the turbo stayed 14.5 should be 23 so would this be low fuel pressure?
What machine was used? A dealer DRBIII Sprinter specific machine? Some other scan machine? Many of the scan machines do not see all the information that is there.

Some levels of LHM limp home mode will limit output pressure from the turbocharger. A clogged fuel filter can also limit power and mimic LHM symptoms.

There is some information about LHM here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7173

if pressure would be low would the fuel pressure cause it to smoke?
Again, sorry that I don't understand. If the intake air is somehow restricted and the fuel is not scaled back proportionately then it could smoke. If the fuel pressure is low and air intake supply is normal there should not be black smoke. If the computer calls for LHM Limp Home Mode the fuel to air ratio should be controlled closely enough that I would think any black smoke would be minimal and probably only evident on heavy acceleration.
I would think it would be excessive fuel pressure, any help on this greatly appreciated. What would you suggest that the problem would be????
Chuck
Perhaps. The Sprinter fuel system is all computer controlled. vic

chuck Sand

no noticed of any limp mode acceletration was good after EGR was changed , egr was changed due to idling and it started to go into a what I belive was what you call a limp mode, around 60 mph it acted on a hill like it was hitting the governor speed and fluttering. The turbo resonator was changed but no help. was not checked at a dealer but a truck repair shop that can read the codes in it.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"Limp mode" is a specific condition: the Sprinter won't shift out of second gear, the Check Enigne light goes on, etc.
Smoke usually means "too much fuel for the air supply". An injector could be leaking (not closing completely).
Check the rubber hoses between the turbo and the intake manifold (it's also possible to have a cracked intercooler... that aluminum pancake in front of the radiator). Turbo-ized air could be escaping instead of getting into the engine.
Call Doktor A at 412-366-6165 in the Eastern USA Time Zone.

good luck
--dick

"Limp mode" is a specific condition: the Sprinter won't shift out of second gear, the Check Enigne light goes on, etc.
Dick,
That is the most severe LHM mode. There are other levels that are LHM none the less.

A bit more discussion about levels of LHM can be found in Jon Caples thread starting around post #6 here:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8337

Turns out there are LHM options which can be set by either (both?) the ECM engine control module (a.k.a. ECU engine control unit or electronic control unit) and/or the TCM transmission control module. More info is available in that thread if anyone is interested.

Smoke usually means "too much fuel for the air supply". An injector could be leaking (not closing completely).
Check the rubber hoses between the turbo and the intake manifold (it's also possible to have a cracked intercooler... that aluminum pancake in front of the radiator). Turbo-ized air could be escaping instead of getting into the engine.
Call Doktor A at 412-366-6165 in the Eastern USA Time Zone.

good luck
--dick
As with most of your advice, I wouldn't disagree with the rest of your post. Especially the last bit. vic

chuck Sand

vac out the area below air filter and MASF problem went away TY all for your help, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS BLOCKED AIRFLOW THIS WAS NEVER DISCUSSED Found a post on another place Ty you for a;; that tried to help. you gave me loads of useful info.
Chuck

Top Bottom