Power Steering Fluid for 313 CDI Sprinter

PeterInSa

Yesterday I checked the level of my Power Steering Fluid,(at the same time as engine oil. brake fluid and windscreen washer level) it seem OK. But could someone confirm how far up the dip stick the PS Fluid should go? and I would think this is only measured with the cap screwed down tight?

Also what type: Brand and rating fluid should I use if needed? According to my Sprinter Operating Instructions the Sprinter does not use PS Fluid because none is mentioned anywhere dito Power Steering.

Thanks

Peter

PeterInSa

Hey Richard, All,
Still not sure about the reading on the dip stick or the Brand of Fluid and density. Am not prepared to just ask for Gunk 1234.

Peter

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
ATF: MB 236.2 236.3 236.4.236.5.236.6 /...236.7 is an if? like for NCV
Your problem will be finding a MB proper oil.
Look at the certification sheet on oils that have any of the above.
The only thing I'm not sure about is mixing different fluids as a top-up?
Richard.

PeterInSa

Richard, All,
Looking at the dip stick,with the different graduations on it, it appaears that the are levels for reading the fluid when cold or hot(ie expansion of the 1.8lt or so of hot/warm fluid).

Peter

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
OIL Red dip stick yes must be on a dead level surface engine warm takes about 5 minutes to find the correct level.
Green is for cold we never got that one.
Richard

316cdi

Hi Guy's,
I just found some info on Penrite ssf which is a hydraulic suspension fluid which is used in suspension, power steering etc and say's can be used in all systems that use CHF11S which is what Pentosin CHF11S is as used by Mercedes.
Not sure on a price but comes in 2.5 ltr containers.
I priced the Pentosin at my local merc dealer and it's $80 for 1ltr.
I will try to get a price for the Penrite SSF and see what difference there is.
I will also call Penrite and see if it can be mixed with Pentosin or needs to be flushed first, will keep you posted.

Cheers Alex

316cdi

Penrite SSF
I called Penrite today and they recommended flushing the old out then replace with SSF.
SSF is orange so would not be very good to mix with dark green anyway.

Cheers Alex

Oldfartt

Penrite SSF is recommended by MB (MB345.0) for steering at temperatures below 25 degrees c.

Cheers
Ross

Oldfartt

Fuchs Titan PSF MB Rec MB236.3

TITAN
POWER STEERING
FLUID

• Premium power steering fluid

• Meets requirements of most car manufacturers.

• Suitable for most passenger car & light commercial power steering systems.

• Compatible with other power steering fluids.

• Effective anti-wear properties help minimise gear wear & maximise system life.

• Compatible with wide range of seals, reducing oil leakage and increasing seal life.

• Dyed red for easy identification if leak may occur.

• Effective foam control & oxidation provides smooth operation and longevity of fluid.

• Viscosity characteristics provide suitable all year round protection in all climates.

Cheers

Ross

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Thanks Ross :thumbup:But I'm really convinced as to! too many If's :thinking: not that it may, or not be OK.
MB has a different swing on it,so I'll look in latter-on.
Richard

316cdi

Hi Ross,

Is your Sprinter a Sprintshift ? If so the hydraulic system on the gearbox uses a chf11s fluid.
If you don't have a sprintshift gearbox then disregard this post.

Also pick-up some penrite SSF at auto-one for $79 as i'm going to replace the hydraulic fluid in the sprintshift system.

Cheers Alex

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
ATF: MB 236.2 236.3 236.4.236.5.236.6 /...236.7 is an if? like for NCV
Your problem will be finding a MB proper oil.
Look at the certification sheet on oils that have any of the above.
The only thing I'm not sure about is mixing different fluids as a top-up?
Richard.
:rolleyes:
I agree. It does not confirm what is appropriate for sprinters.
Have you seen this site? http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.3_en.html

Cheers

Ross
Yes Ross I also cross reference to MB Germany As Alex is saying quickshift, However Manual both have the same power steering until and use the same oil .
When you look at Bevo ,say for example 236.3 it shows which vehicles in brief it is best suited to as a cross link as an indicator 236.2. Mog Trucks commercial cross country and sedan., then select Sprinter.
There are the following companies to cross reference to such as ELFD Mobil Fuche etc
Until I look at the actual specs as to Tonnage eg: My sprinter is referred to as a 3500 variant I'll be dammed if I'll put a sedan oil in my van.
Just need time to go through each one to be 100% sure.
Richard

Oldfartt

Hi 316CDI,

I have a 313 with Sprintshift model 716.643 gearbox. The Hydraulic oil required in the sprintshift control system is MB 345.0 Which is what the Pentosin chf11s is. However I do not know why you want to change the oil in the control system as it is a closed system and does not have the same potential for contamination as other systems. Also there may be a requirement to reduce the hydraulic pressure with a Star diagnostic controller. Depends on serial number . Sometimes all you do is unplug the electrical connector to the Hydraulic pump, start the engine and engage the gearshift selecting all gears. This will reduce the pressure and allow you to remove the oil without it squirting everywhere. I will not be changing mine and it has done 200,000 km. and is nearly 10 years old.
However I have just replaced the gearbox oil for the first time.! I used the MB genuine oil,
MB 235.10 75w85 , very expensive, but it works out to be about $10 NZD per year over ten years! MB quote to replace the gearbox oil at 300,000km or 10 years. bevo.mercedes-benz.com also recommends MB235.11. which you more choices of manufacturer.....

Cheers

Ross

Top Bottom