is starting fluid bad for the sprinter van

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelski

so is it bad thing to use starting fluild to get my van to start it will not start with out it
it just cranks over and never starts i give it a quick squirt and it starts right up
anyone now what is wrong or how to fix my starting problem

so is it bad thing to use starting fluild to get my van to start it will not start with out it
it just cranks over and never starts i give it a quick squirt and it starts right up
As nobody else has stepped forward I will try to answer your starting fluid question.

As opposed to the gasoline powered internal combustion engines you are probably familiar with, the general consensus among diesel mechanics is that the use of starting fluid on a diesel has a far greater chance of being fatal. Starting fluid can cause things like pistons and crankshafts to break. You really should try to resolve your engine problem before the starting fluid makes that deci$$$ion for you.

Hope this does some good. vic

Yes, veary bad! Does your glow plug light stay on after you have started the van? You will want to check into glow plug and relay replacement.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
A friend of mine used to own an MB sedan (W123) with a 5 cyl diesel engine.

He broke a crank shaft over-doing it with the starting fluid. As a former MB dealership tech (for like two years in the 70s), it took him about 6 years to admit to me why the black beauty was growing moss in his driveway.

-Jon

Mike Horton

Step away from the starting fluid!........:bash: I'm surprised that Andy hasn't felt a disturbance in the force yet!:thumbdown::professor:

I've heard of using WD-40 instead of starting fluid. It's less volitile. I also believe in correcting the problem first, but in a pinch (cold soaked engine, -40C, no aux heat) it may help. Thoughts?
Bruce
I copied and pasted this from my Stoopid Things thread because any resulting discussion should be here for continuity. I don't know enough to comment. vic

rpanzer56

The problem you might have since it does starts with starting fluid, and I'm assuming that your vehicle has a 2.7L CDI engine, one or more of you fuel injector is leaking internally. A fuel injector leakage test must be performed to identify which injector is leaking. Take it to a Freightliner or Dodge dealer to have the leakage test performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom