Installing a Sound 5 radio... Please Help

OK, Before I pull out a knife and stab myself...

BACKGROUND:

1. Purchased a new 2008 Sprinter 3500 EXT (with no radio) to convert to Mobile Espresso/Coffee van. http://www.bearclawcoffee.com

2. Bought a used Sound 5 radio off of Ebay and had it shipped to builder.

3. Mechanic threw away the box and receipt which had the code for the radio.

4. The van does have speakers, antenna connection, wiring harness. I tried to install the radio today and had no luck.

PROBLEMS:

1. I cannot slide the radio into this bracket.

2. I cannot program the radio, it displays "PROD" after 20 seconds.

SOLUTIONS:

1. I have looked all over the internet for another install bracket, but I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. And I have no clue how to code this radio.

2. Do I just eat the $95.00 and have Best Buy install a cheapo radio?

3. Have one of you guys tell me what to do.

Attachments

Rock

OK, Before I pull out a knife and stab myself...

BACKGROUND:

1. Purchased a new 2008 Sprinter 3500 EXT (with no radio) to convert to Mobile Espresso/Coffee van. http://www.bearclawcoffee.com

2. Bought a used Sound 5 radio off of Ebay and had it shipped to builder.

3. Mechanic threw away the box and receipt which had the code for the radio.

4. The van does have speakers, antenna connection, wiring harness. I tried to install the radio today and had no luck.

PROBLEMS:

1. I cannot slide the radio into this bracket.

2. I cannot program the radio, it displays "PROD" after 20 seconds.

SOLUTIONS:

1. I have looked all over the internet for another install bracket, but I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. And I have no clue how to code this radio.

2. Do I just eat the $95.00 and have Best Buy install a cheapo radio?

3. Have one of you guys tell me what to do.

To BearClaw:

This is a great place to find help. There are lots of info radio install. Try: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11722#post11722 or https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806y

Rock

rb3232

If you need a code like the radio in the 5 cyl sprinter, I think you can buy it from Becker radio online. Ross

or of course the seller may still have a record of the code or could provide the vin # of the vehicle it came from which can help getting the code for free.

Last edited:

NBB

I don't think that radio needs a bracket. It should just screw directly into your dash, along with the little storage pocket that sits below it. Do you have that as well? The bracket is for installing aftermarket. You should keep it around. The Sound 5 is a low power POC. There are some very nice double DIN radios out there that are not that expensive that I think will sound better and look a lot better in the dash, too. Good luck with the security code. It sounds like a fixable problem, especially if you make it the problem for the guy who threw away the code. Good luck,

rayl

Hi Bearclaw, the radio should just slide straight in to the fixing already there in the dash you dont need the bracket as NBB said, (there are some exellent pictures and instruction,s on one of the past post about the radio removal/fitting) i'm sure you dont need a code as i did,nt need it for mine when i had taken the radio out/in a few times, as regards the "prod" that comes up after 20sec i kept getting that on mine when trying to install a parrot mki hands free phone kit which has the ipod/mp3 connection along with the small info screen, had to take vehicle to a phone kit installer in the end who said the reason for the "prod" to come on after 20 sec was to do with the adapter harness that was sent with the parrot kit, it does not need it, the parrot kit connects straight in to the vehicle's harness and back of radio, the adapter harness was causing a feed to go back to the radio after the hands free kit had set its self up on switch on (roughly 20 sec) and having the same affect as mute, i'm not saying this is the problem you have for the "prod" to appear but to just check you hav'nt any other item connected to the harness,

Top Bottom