Sprinter 2.9 1996 Speed Limiter

Ballina

412D,1996, 200,000 mls.Just had a full service.I thought this van would have way more power.My 97 LT35 is way livelier. Sprinter goes up to 60-65 mph fine but not much over that. Ive heard it might have a speed limiter.Could this be true and how do I release the power that this engine should have? Any chance it could be the Injectors? Are they difficult to remove?

silentoak

yes more then lightly, it's a speed limiter.
I got 90miles an hour out of that exact model, and it had an extended chassis and double axel.
I have been told by my garage guy, only Mercedes Germany can send some code through to a dealer or authorized garage so they can "flash" the system, and release the power back.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
412D,1996, 200,000 mls.Just had a full service.I thought this van would have way more power.My 97 LT35 is way livelier. Sprinter goes up to 60-65 mph fine but not much over that. Ive heard it might have a speed limiter.Could this be true and how do I release the power that this engine should have? Any chance it could be the Injectors? Are they difficult to remove?
assuming your manual! What is your final axle ratio? on a 4 series sprinter.
Richard

stroud_omnibus

Seems odd that yours is limited as there aren't any regulations here in the UK that would require it to be so. On the '00 and newer models there is an option to limit to two pre-set speeds stored in the ECU and this is done at the dealer. I can only think that if there is the facility to speed limit a '96 model then it has been done at the owners/ operators request to prevent speeding fines or excessive fuel use by over enthusiastic drivers.
Other than that, as just mentioned, it could have a low ratio diff.

Johan Turbo

The old Sprinters can be limited in the ECU by codes. It can be 100, 120, 140 or 160 km/h. Changing this code is difficult but it is quite simple to bug. Simply remove the speed impulse on the ECU. I will look for the color.
I have a 312D LWB high roof van. It runs 158 km/h. The 412 with normal diff ratio runs 140, with short diff 120.

Top Bottom