PDA

View Full Version : Replace Oil Separator and Re-program ECU

christhain
03-20-2010, 11:58 PM
On friday recived at Vechicle Safety Recall Letter REF: The engine oil separator installed in certain sprinter vans fitted with the OM646diesel engine.
The fleece filter insert in the oil separator of the engine breather system could become blocked with residues over time and cause the crankcase to become pressurised.

Altered Sprinter
03-21-2010, 02:58 AM
On friday recived at Vechicle Safety Recall Letter REF: The engine oil separator installed in certain sprinter vans fitted with the OM646[b]diesel engine.
The fleece filter insert in the oil separator of the engine breather system could become blocked with residues over time and cause the crankcase to become pressurised.

Thanks Christhain>:thumbup:

Odd-recall: No specification as to year model!
Target: Numbers..2435....suggest to me 2009 models and maybe late 2008 models.
I'll place this in the OZ section for Mercedes re-calls.
Richard
[B]Note: This is an Australian recall,not N/A NAFTA Sprinters.

Altered Sprinter
03-21-2010, 07:11 AM
On friday recived at Vechicle Safety Recall Letter REF: The engine oil separator installed in certain sprinter vans fitted with the OM646diesel engine.

AUSTRALIAN RECALL:
:hmmm:
WHY DOES THIS HAVE MY Curiousness UP;AS IT RINGS BELLS.

christhain: Was kind enough to place this recall on the forum;please note! It is in reference to the OM 646 engine which is a 4-inline. for Sprinters for NCV 2006-2009 euro4 variants with the particulate DPF.

What takes my interest is the numbers of Sprinters involved: [B]However no production years mentioned:shifty:

In the interim as to curiosity I remembered an old thread Oils ain't oils and neither are the filters.
Surely MB! No franchises have been putting in the wrong oils as 229.5 Low ash oil is a Fleece filter.till November 2006
FSS Paper filter are fine starting with Diesel engine with a DPF after late June 2006 as both the last of the TIN series Sprinters carried a Euro 4 DPF as the New NCV 906 Sprinter was bought in.
of which required MB 229.51 oils low ash for the DPF ACEA Valves are nominated on the can as to meeting API Standards.

I made a quick inquiry and was sent this document that links directly to the Australian recall:
Notice build dates 2006-7 and year of recall 12.2.2010
Notation My Year NCV has not been included on the Australian side.
As many of the older Sprinters are out of warranty.

What is missing on the OZ recall is the actual specifics to the recall which are vague.

This information is more specific as to the actual recall.

Sprinter: 906
Subject: CO193057

Information: Replace oil separator,associated service measure,flash engine control unit CO193507

Model BM 906: With engine OM 646.986 with code MC3,MS9, MR2/ BM906,MR3 M59 MR2
I strongly advise to ask your dealership for Vin chassis notification codes! Of vehicles effected from 2006 onwards.
If an unsatisfactory answer is given you have right of recourse to peruse this via ACCI as to a separate Ombudsman to arbitrate on your behalf.
The above may have some reverence as to the NAFTA sprinters [[B]I'm speculating on the latter only].
Richard

mckids
03-27-2010, 05:55 PM
So very glad you two are passing all this on :clapping:
I will notify my mechanic as he still cannot figure why the turbo was deprived of oil. IOW :thinking: where the leak is.