Getting jerked around by Mercedes

kendall69

OK I thought we were now to go to Mercedes for service etc. I called a Mercedes dealer who does sell the Mercedes Sprinter and was treated quite rude my the service girl.

She railed on and on that my vin number shows it as a Dodge ( DUH ) and that I had to go to Dodge for service.

I then called Mercedes USA and they said the dealer should have serviced the vehicle. This is where I feel like a ping pong ball.

Now for the big question Mr. Mercedes USA " will you honer my 100K extended warranty that I purchased from Dodge" ..........looooooooooonnngggggggg pause, uh I don't know - I will check on that for you.

So I called the salesman I bought the van from and said is there ANYONE on the planet that can give me the straight scoop of what's going on? He said bring it to Dodge as they are still the service people?

Anyone else as confused as I am on this deal. I thought teh dust was all settled on these issues? Boy was I wrong.:crazy:

Anyone with some insight, or is it business as usual going to Dodge for service - that even seems weird now that they don't even sell the Sprinter.

EDIT:

I just got off the phone with Mercedes USA they called back and they said " TAKE IT TO DODGE." That's from the horses mouth.

Last edited:

Chandlerazman

Seems like the horses mouth is full of s**t.
Sorry you had to go through that trouble. I've been taking my '08 Dodge to my Mercedes dealer and had a couple of warranty items taken care of along with a paid oil change which was much cheaper than the Dodge dealer quoted price. My great overall experience with the Mercedes dealer has spoiled me to not go back to Dodge.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
You may not like the answer I got.

Kendall, I was told, "If it was sold as a Dodge it gets serviced as a Dodge."

This is part of a letter I received from Chrysler when I inquired about my 7yr 100k warranty.

Beginning January 2010, the sale of Sprinter vehicles will be transferred from Dodge to Daimler. The transition of vehicle business will not have an impact on the existing factory warranty, warranty repairs, technical service support or parts availability for 2003-2009 model year vehicles currently in service. Chrysler will continue to honor the remainder of the Basic Limited Warranty that was offered on this vehicle at the time it was originally sold new in 2007, as well as any applicable supplemental warranty that may have been part of his purchase agreement.

Sincerely,

Tina Dietrich
| Chrysler Group LLC | West Business Center
Mailing: Suite: 400 Irvine, CA 92618

Now, the part in question and what you may be able to do is sell back the extended warranty to Dodge and purchase one from Mercedes instead. Mark says yes but the question is what MB says.

I happily and by choice do my own service, fluids, brakes, with the best parts and on a more frequent interval then required. I want the warranty as a hedge against major issues and major component failure, like a steering rack, srs module or no start problems.

Last edited:

Chandlerazman

My understanding of a "Mercedes" warranty is that they will only sell you an aftermarket warranty unless the van was bought new and as an original Mercedes. I had received a quote from the Mercedes dealer regarding an extended warranty on my Dodge at the tune of over 5k which covered up to 100k miles or 5 years additional time whichever comes first. That quote was from a third party provider the Mercedes dealer's finance department used. Now here is the confusing part.... It seems to me all MB dealers are piloting a different ship. What appears to be acceptable at one dealer may not be at another dealer. I am still up in the air on this subject myself. Regardless of extended warranties, My MB dealer serviced my Dodge under the Dodge 3/36 basic warranty. It is their product afterall.

Okie Rick

I just called 3 Dodge dealerships to inquire about repair, service & warranty work - "who does it on Dodge Sprinters?" I explained I purchased my 2006 used in Dallas.

The local dealer in Bartlesville, OK, Quinn Dodge, is not a Sprinter Dealer - they can order parts and do minor work on them. All major or routine service will have to be done in Tulsa by an Authorized Sprinter Dealer.

Chris Nickel Automotive and Tulsa Dodge - both Sprinter dealers - service departments both said they would repair, service and perform scheduled mantainence on any Sprinter brought to them.

I asked both dealers if they were selling 2010 Sprinters and was told to contact sales or fleet sales and that they did have 2010 Sprinters on the lot.

fwiw... Rick

roachclan6

2007 CDI passenger So. Ca
I just got my 2007 back from the Mercedes dealer. 30K miles and the EGR acted up. I made an appointment, dropped it off, They checked it and said they needed to order the part.. got a loaner car and got a call the next day that it was done.
They washed my Sprinter and gave me a receipt with my 2 favorite letters N/C.
They were professional and happy to serve me. I went back to the service bay and spoke to their lead Sprinter technician Dan who seemed competent (20 years exp.). He mentioned that they are quite familiar with the Diesel engine because it is also found in one of their passenger cars.
I am still holding off on a full on rave review until I can confirm everything is great with the vehicle.
So far Mercedes Benz of Anaheim, CA has done a great job at lowering the stress related to Red headed step child status. They seem to welcome their wayward son back into the fold with open arms.
The only downer was that they refused to reset the maintenance alert. I have the steering wheel buttons so Unless there have been any major breakthroughs on the forum lately I will just get used to seeing that malfunction.
I hope everyone else has a similar introduction to their ancestral home dealer.

Düsseldorfer

Re: (not) Getting jerked around by Mercedes

I went to the sole Sprinter-specializing MB dealer here in Houston-- actually about 45mins outside of town, but in Texas terms I guess that's close enough!-- and they could not have been more enthusiastic.

I only went in to buy oil and a filter, but I was deluged with business cards, and they really wanted to get to know what was going on in the minds of local Sprinter folks. The knowledge wasn't quite at the same level as the enthusiasm, but there was a genuine desire to learn. The parts guy would have happily sold me the wrong oil, but when we got that sorted out, as a goodwill gesture he gave me a bit of a discount on their already quite good price. (By the way, the oil filter price was also competitive, but the fuel filter was an eye-watering $52. Thank goodness for our online sellers!)

When the D-wagen threw a code recently, I took it in to the Dodge dealer, as I am reasonably confident that the tech there is doing good work. The MB dealers (and, I guess, the MB North America organization) have a little bit of a learning curve ahead of them, but no doubt they'll get the hang of it soon. My two cents: relax, guys, they haven't even owned this product line for a full quarter yet!

D

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Re: (not) Getting jerked around by Mercedes

(By the way, the oil filter price was also competitive, but the fuel filter was an eye-watering $52. Thank goodness for our online sellers!)

D
If you go outside the dealership for fuel filters, be mindful that the engine in all of our Diesel Sprinters, the OM642, comes with an OPTIONAL Water in fuel sensor (optional for other OM642 engines, mandatory for you and me).

If it ever comes up, at another MB parts retailer, you need the filter for an OM642 with the WIF option.

-Jon

kendall69

I have to admit after the girl on the phone at Walters Mercedes in Riverside blathered three times " but sir your vin number comes up as a DODGE" ....I did give her an ear full. She just wasn't getting it. She checked with here "manager" who was just as clueless.

Like I explained to her that you would think you people would be much more welcoming to us red headed cousins as we are all getting ready to buy new sprinters after 3-4 years of our current vehicles.

What amazed me even more is that Mercedes USA didn't have any info on my vehicle just the vin number but not my name etc. Also amazing that the operator at Mercedes USA was as clueless as he was, surely I couldn't have been the first Sprinter person to call in the last three months since the switch, yet he acted like every question I has was the first time he ever heard of that question.....he as much told me so also that's why he didn't want to keep me on hold and called back.

Yes I do all my own service also but the roof is leaking even after the Dodge dealer fixed it and it's throwing a P0299 code so I am obligated to go to the dealer. Besides I paid for a 100K warranty so I want to get some use out of it.

We'll see what happens tomorrow as I take it back to the place I purchased it.

Hey..where's my letter from Mercedes?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Clueless in USA: Hang about were you talking to MB USA or MB USA LLC Vans????
Honest answer no fibbing.
Mind you it could be a jealousy thing with the Blondie on the line, taking it out on a redheaded step child from Cerberus:smilewink:
Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Kendall69,

Send me your VIN and I'll give you a PDF of your Sprinter's data card from EPC, info that no one under the three-pointed star in the NAFTA region will be able to disown.

-Jon

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Thanks roachclan6,

I too recommend MB Anaheim, I purchased an MB wagon there 12 years ago, wonderful.
There are 3 MB/Sprinter dealers closer to my home but this is my choice. Only problem is I have encountered no issues with my 07 so I don't need them yet.

My situation is different, that letter I posted came from my efforts to redeem an awarded Chrysler 7yr/100k platinum warranty that Chrysler is trying to wiggle out of.
My closest remaining Dodge dealer has demonstrated a complete lack of mechanical expertise, so I am trying to get some type of credit against the purchase of an MB extended warranty.

kendall69

Altered Sprinter...I talked to these people:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/contactusOverview/

They did say again which is weird, if I had a warranty issue I needed to go to Dodge, because I wanted the leaking roof fixed.

I took it as far as I could, the dealership checked with her boss, and MB USA checked with his boss and those were the final answers I got - GO TO DODGE......and I did today.

-------------------------

jdcaples..........
Vin Number:

VIN Number:
WD8PE745X 75148902 Vehicle Description:
2007 DODGE SPRINTER 144 IN 2500 WAGON

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Since you posted your VIN, I figured it'd be ok to post your data card. A moderator can delete this if you don't want it publically available for the life of Sprinter-Source :)

-Jon

PS: since the party line is go to the people (dodge) that we (Daimler) sold the van to (dodge), to sell to you (you), I think my StarMOBILE just got a lot more valuable than it was before the people that sold you the van (dodge) relinquished the brand and product sales and support.

Attachments

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Altered Sprinter...I talked to these people:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/contactusOverview/

They did say again which is weird, if I had a warranty issue I needed to go to Dodge, because I wanted the leaking roof fixed.

I took it as far as I could, the dealership checked with her boss, and MB USA checked with his boss and those were the final answers I got - GO TO DODGE......and I did today.

-------------------------

jdcaples..........
Vin Number:

WD8PE745X 75148902 Vehicle Description:
2007 DODGE SPRINTER 144 IN 2500 WAGON
Please look at your Vin number on the first page
Vehicle identification number.
This is an example of a NCV :VIN WDB [(9066655 or Tin (903) search and find Those numbers are MB.
Engine Identification 318 or 316 KA 4x2 4325 the last numbers are your GVM designation.
Production plant Dusseldorf or what does it say?
Roof leak if air con;the seal and or sealant, was incorrectly installed. there is a MB call out for a fix. if it's the first roof seam or the last one on the rear towards your cargo doors This is a Chrysler fix not MB.
I can not remember if your Tin or NCV
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Jon stop sneaking in scripts when I'm replying:lol:

The data EPC sheet s Mercedes with a few Dodge ladson inclusions.
906 is exclusive to the Mercedes-Benz model series.
316 KB 4x2 36665 is the MB numbering system for weight GVM
You have the package C.39 for a soft ride extra spring 3.88 wight variant.MB
Your engine is a NAFTA engine This is exclusive to Chrysler as it's detuned to the Euro variant of the old 5-inline with matching manual ARC axle ratio 1-4,182.
Exclusion on your Data sheets production of assembly delete.The sheet is non complete.
That is the same in Australia with modified vehicles such as the Government Operated Mercedes Sprinters, the Vin sheet is non completed. same as you in the States.
But overall that is a MB Data Sheet not Chrysler.

The roof seam leak is on a MB USA fix hit list, and it's an internal re-call for fixing when vehicle is in for service. No wonder Jon gets frustrated,as I do with those ridicules weight variants.

Where the Grey area is Don't bite me on this please:hugs: I love you guys to bit's
MB is not responsible for a Chrysler warranty that passes the 36/3 basic warranty,The said previous warranties for basic service 3 years and 7 year drive-train is Guaranteed by the Obama Presidency to Chrysler: It is not transferable to MB nor should Damlier AG under any circumstance be obligated to the past tense as to the closing arrangents under the bailout. as for MB LLC USA it's a new identity 2010 In saying this ..{Again the Grey area needs to be addressed}
Richard

kendall69

Jon, Altered - thanks guys.

Where the Grey area is Don't bite me on this please I love you guys to bit's
MB is not responsible for a Chrysler warranty that passes the 36/3 basic warranty,The said previous warranties for basic service 3 years and 7 year drive-train is Guaranteed by the Obama Presidency to Chrysler: It is not transferable to MB nor should Damlier AG under any circumstance be obligated to the past tense as to the closing arrangents under the bailout. as for MB LLC USA it's a new identity 2010 In saying this ..{Again the Grey area needs to be addressed}
Richard
I was getting confused by dealers coming here to this site saying they would honor the extended warranties, but I know now otherwise, and understand.

My thoughts would have been that Chrysler transferred all monies paid by customers for extended warranties to Mercedes to make the transition easy for customer - ha ha ha, then Mercedes would have been paid for the warranty work up front.

The leak was fixed by the same dealer that now has it for the second time to fix what they should have fixed the first time grrrrrrr. :yell:

Yes it is frustrating as a customer to get tossed here and there because companies sell, merger, go bankrupt etc. Also gets frustrating that I have to spend money on a rental car and drive 100 miles because the dealer didn't do what they were supposed to do the first time. grrrrrr.:yell:

But it's all good now knowing the original dealer is taking care of me as before and they even said they will broker a new Mercedes for me. :rad:

72chevy4x4

MB is not responsible for a Chrysler warranty that passes the 36/3 basic warranty,The said previous warranties for basic service 3 years and 7 year drive-train is Guaranteed by the Obama Presidency to Chrysler
I'm not totaly clear on this statement; from my limited understanding, my engine has extended warranty coverage of 5yr7yr or 70k/100k for various componenets-is THIS still covered by Chrysler?

Top Bottom