programming an extra ecu for van

72chevy4x4

how would I go about getting an extra ecu programmed for my van? Will the dealer do the necessary work or is it one of those things where they won't touch it unless they buy it?

glasseye

My understanding is that, since it's a "security" item, you can't buy one off the shelf. They're available on an exchange basis only. At least that's how it is for the SKREEM unit.

As for resurrecting one from a wreck, I don't know. It might be possible, but I think MB wants to do everything they can to ensure that there's only one ECU per VIN.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The folks at InMotion can "clone" ECUs.
You send them both the old and bought-anywhere "new" one, they send back two duplicate Ecus.
Their turn-around time is (reportedly) very quick, and you can also have the power, torque and top speed adjusted.

http://www.inmotionusa.com

--dick (i've never dealt with them, but other members have)

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
how would I go about getting an extra ecu programmed for my van? Will the dealer do the necessary work or is it one of those things where they won't touch it unless they buy it?
I believe that falls under "Money talks" and "If anything happens , Not my fault" :lol:

But , if its a new ECM or unprogrammed, there should be no issue in having 2 of them

Carl

8jef

Clueless
I don't know if anyone has tested this yet, but the DAD manual explains how the software can program ECU's.

Jef

Top Bottom