PDA

View Full Version : differential fluid change and wiper question

dg55117
03-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Changed my diff fluid tonight before my big trip to the west coast from MN. Anyway, put in Redline 75W140 as I heard on here in a few places - it took almost 2 liters (1.8L capacity) so that was good but while I was filling it near the end when it was overflowing I put back the rubber plug quickly. Afer friving it around i noticed it sort of oozing out from that rubber plug. I assume it will self level that way? Correct? THat rubber plug seems....inadequate?
I've been having intermittent wioer issues(works somethimes and sometimes not- appaerently I'm not alone. But now when I push the spray, the wipers just stay parked. Does this point to anything different than the loose type relay issue?
Thanks all

sikwan
03-02-2010, 06:50 AM
It may be a old shrinking plug. Mine never leaked when I overfilled it, but it was a snug fitting plug. You could lather some gasket maker around the plug to stop the leaking.

The intermittent wiper could be anything. I would work on the easiest and see if that fixes it.

Aqua Puttana
03-02-2010, 12:59 PM
....when it was overflowing I put back the rubber plug quickly. ...
FWIW. I know on most differentials you do not want to overfill because the high level can put additional pressure on the seals and cause premature failure. When the operating temperature increases the level will rise even more. I wouldn't expect a "normal" level to be above the fill plug. I could be wrong. More is not always better. AP/vic

dg55117
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks gentlemen. I didn't overfill but it began to run out with the funnel hose full of gear oil and I quickly put in the plug. So I assume it is at or slightly above the run over point.

sikwan
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
I know on most differentials you do not want to overfill because the high level can put additional pressure on the seals and cause premature failure.

There's a vent line to prevent this even if the fill went over the bottom part of the fill hole. It would be hard to overfill it above the fill hole.

Of course, I'm not talking about overfilling it with the pinion facing down. :smirk: