2007 keeps on pulling left

Jacob

Hello,

I'm a new Sprinter owner and this is my first post on this forum. I recently purchased a used 2007 Sprinter with 70K. The vehicle has been pretty much problem free, although I was getting a lot of tire wear on the front passenger side. I took it to my local dodge dealer and they suggested an alignment was needed. So I had it done, drove away and it was worse. The Sprinter now pulled really hard to the left. I took it back and discovered that the tech had put in the spec's for the wrong sized sprinter. They corrected the issue and after it drove smooth and straight for about a day until I started noticing it wanted to go left again. Now if I turn right and let release my hand pressure off the wheel it goes back to center, it I turn left and do the same it just keeps on going left. When going straight it still wants to lean to the left. I'm planning on taking it back in to the dealer again this week but was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what the issue might be or similar experiences. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Regards, Jacob

showkey

One quick test is swap the front tires right to left and test drive. Trying to rule out a bad tire or a very worn or damaged tire.
Test drive should done with out cross wind and flat road with minimum road crown if possible.
Does the pull:

1. stop bad tire possible
2. go the other way bad tire or worn tire possible
3. no change not tire related, alignment problem, possible uppper strut bearing, steering rack.

72chevy4x4

funny story, nevermind, it's not funny, but read on...after getting my ride back on the road I took it to the Dodge dealer (authorized Sprinter work) for an alignment among other things (the $175 trans fluid change was worth every penny). After receiving the van and printout I drove away but soon realized it was pulling left but thougth it due to windy conditions (new to the van at the time) or my efforts of fixing the van (rebuilt after front end colision). After finding some great alignment info from Caples (handle jcaples I think...) I compared the specs to those provided on the dealer provided printout and finally noticed the reference vehicle they used in the setup of the alignment rack was for the prior body Sprinter which DOES have different specs for toe/camber/caster. My first attempt at getting this fixed took me to the service bay where the service writer spoke w/ the tech who did the work and after walking back to the alignment machine claimed that the provided specs were the same for the NCV3 as the 2002-2006 Sprinter listed on the printout. I was told to return after the service manager returned from sunny Florida and still await to have the problem fixed :thinking:

72chevy4x4

another relevent problem I encounted many years ago on a Nissan 300zx-it would lightly pull left and the alignment tech and tire guys couldn't figure it out. finally, a different alignment tech put it on the rack, lifted the wheels and started the motor at which time the front wheels turned slightly left. It had been a bad rack the whole time where the hydraulic fluid was leaking internally (no leaks on the ground) enough to pull the steering.

no idea if it's relevent on our vehicles...just passing along info :thumbup:

Jacob

Thanks for the input. I just put new tires on so I'm hoping that's not the problem but I'll check it out. I have a feeling that the mechanic at the dodge dealership may not have gotten it right the second time, or forgot to tighten something down. I'm heading back in for my third visit to get the problem fixed this week so I'll also have them look at the bearings and steering rack. Thanks again for all your input.

showkey

Thanks for the input. I just put new tires on so I'm hoping that's not the problem but I'll check it out. I have a feeling that the mechanic at the dodge dealership may not have gotten it right the second time, or forgot to tighten something down. I'm heading back in for my third visit to get the problem fixed this week so I'll also have them look at the bearings and steering rack. Thanks again for all your input.
Did it pull with the old tires? Even more reason to look at the tires....sad but true new (bad) tire can cause the pull.

Jacob

Funny, I never noticed the pull until I replaced the tires. At first it was definitely the incorrect alignment but now I'm not sure. I'm going to try your suggestion of swapping the tires and see how it goes. I'll post an update with the results.

Top Bottom