Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
72chevy4x4

Default speed limiter

I've searched and read....seems the OE limit is set at 82mph (correct???). My van feels like its defueling at 72-75mph. It was a Penske rental truck-maybe they had it set to defuel at a lower speed? Would the dealer be able to reset to the OE value?

One thread mentioned use of an MB-WIS system to change settings-is that true? I use to have a copy for a W210, but that was an old OBDII system w/ few parameters.
72chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,869 Posts
Default Re: speed limiter

I didn't know WIS (Workshop Information System) was a scantool.

I thought WIS was a big computer-resource somewhere that the DAS and the SDS scan tools interfaced with for MB Vehicle service info.

I guess I need to more homework.

Now, if you meant you have an old copy of DAS (Star Diagnosis), I think you'll have to have it updated to a revision that includes being able to speak NAFTA Sprinter.

The Chrysler tools can ratchet down the top speed, but they can't exceed the factory setting. If I recall correctly.
InmotionUSA might be able to pull that off for you, though.
-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf

Last edited by jdcaples; 10-22-2009 at 02:08 AM.
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
72chevy4x4

my memory fails me-you are correct re: WIS-that was another program I used for connecting to the OBDII port.
72chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
johnny3435

According to the Special Equipment Book, code XFS is a Speed Governor, and it says:

Details and Technology "The top speed is limited to 119.097 km/h (74 MPH) via the engine management."
Benefits: "For vehicles for which speed limitation is desired."
Remarks: "Fleet options."

So, you won't be able to get that 119.100 km/h that you wanted ;), and since it was a rental truck Penske may have ordered it with the governor. Nothing on whether it can be reset, however.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
scubanw3

Jon is correct; WIS is literally a Workshop Information System and not a scan tool. The early and late model Sprinters have two or three speed limits (canít remember the number at the moment and Iím out of the shop until next week) that can be chosen via the factory scan tools plus the DAS and SDA scan tools. Hope this helps.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846
scubanw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
twistyroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
The Chrysler tools can ratchet down the top speed, but they can't exceed the factory setting. If I recall correctly.

And if you ratchet it down, it's not easy to restore it... I just learned that the hard way...
When you hook the StarMOBILE up to the Sprinter and bring up the page on the Desktop Client, it looks like this:

Slide1sm.jpg

I clicked on "Next", and tried to enter a couple of values that were higher than my factory setting (82)... wouldn't accept them. Then just to experiment, I entered 25mph. It happily accepted that, and the screen looked like this:

Slide2sm.jpg

OK, experiment complete... it looks like it will take pretty much any number you enter, as long as it's below the factory-programmed default/maximum.
But then it got interesting, because when I tried to go back to 82, it wouldn't accept any number higher than the 25 it had accepted. A pop-up window said it would take any value down to 15, but nothing above the new high limit I had entered.
The key to resolving this lay in the fine print... look again at the first screen shot above... "to raise the speed back to the factory default, the manual variant coding routine must be run." Duh. However, I had no idea what code string to enter on the manual variant coding string page... I began to wonder if I had "bricked my ride"...
But after some more exploring, I saw the "restore ECU config" at the bottom of the screen, and realized I could go to TechAuthority, and for a $20-for-24-hour "subscription," reload the default settings into my ECM. Did that, and I'm back to the 82mph limit.
Lesson learned? Read the fine print!
Rock

PS - Jon, the last sentence in that first screenshot above would seem to reinforce your comment about "can't exceed the factory setting." Seems to imply that if you bought a used Sprinter that was originally ordered/delivered with a fleet setting of, say, 65mph, there'd be pretty much nothing you could do to increase it.
dbeyer (10-25-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,869 Posts

Rock, you are the bravest NCV3 owner in the NAFTA region.

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote