Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,869 Posts
Default Re: Sprinter Performance Upgrades

If you're considering a product to make adjustments to anything remotely impacts fuel injection, I'd like to play a game.

Please write down how you think your Sprinter's fuel injectors work.... just jot down your understanding.... high level stuff like "this is what a fuel injector does...."

Then write down how you understand a "chip" or a "programmer" or might improve the situation as far as you're concerned....

Then read this: NAFTA-NCV3-Fuel-Injection-Description-ChryslerServiceInfo.pdf

Now looking at what you wrote down, and after having read that PDF.... what are your thoughts?

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf

Last edited by jdcaples; 10-24-2009 at 01:55 AM.
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdcaples For This Useful Post:
RickL (10-24-2009), sprintguy (10-24-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #22
LivingtheDream
2009 LTV Serenity

thanks Jon, appreciate the details. There is a great deal going on....and thus a great deal of opportunity for risk in making changes. However, technology today has a very good grasp in most cases as to how this works from my experience, but again as disclosed, that is with a gasoline engine. My chip program in the Cadillac lowered the operating temperature, increased the redline, increased maximum speed, increased the 'lope' of my cam at idle (cause its KOOL ) and tuned the engine to take advantage of my 3" B&B full dual cat exhaust system.

Bikergar, if you want a new millenium hot rod.. the CTS-V is for you!!!! I am letting go of my 05 LS6 (for sale) and moving to the 010 550 hp model. As for the Sprinter, I dont expect to take it to the track, except to haul my car there. I am fine with the performance of my 2500 08 Pleasure Way conversion, but now moving to the 3500 Freedom II I have gained weight. The only place where I really look for a performance boost is trying to pass on 2 lane highways. We try to use US Highways more than interstates and with all those slowpoke RV's (ha ha ha) out there, the Sprinter wants to get past them but just does not have the acceleration boost to make the pass decision easy (yes I am spoiled by AMERICAN V8's ).

Again, these forums are the best and all inputs have value.... or fun in them...

Thank you,

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile
LivingtheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LivingtheDream For This Useful Post:
bikergar (10-24-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #23
SYCO GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingtheDream View Post
Bikergar, if you want a new millenium hot rod.. the CTS-V is for you!!!! I am letting go of my 05 LS6 (for sale) and moving to the 010 550 hp model. (yes I am spoiled by AMERICAN V8's ).

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile
The new CTS-V is very impressive. Everyone is reporting great numbers with the stock motor and dynographs. Modded motors also. I watched a CTS-V do a nice quarter mile at Lonestar Motorsports in Sealy, Texas last weekend.

Here is the pre-run tire warm up...

SYCO GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SYCO GT For This Useful Post:
bikergar (10-24-2009)
Old 10-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #24
gary 32
07 ncv3 pv

Motor Trend:
If there's one place where the Sprinter let us down, it's the engine. In most day-to-day situations, the 3.0-liter V-6 turbodiesel is sufficiently powerful to get the job done, but attack even the smallest incline and you feel the power disappear.

Even with the van loaded to a third of its maximum payload, extended hillclimbs, such as those on the way out of Los Angeles, had the Sprinter working hard to maintain freeway speeds with the pedal on the floor. Loaded to the hilt, the Sprinter's 154 horses and 280 pound-feet of torque would've had us crawling with the big-rigs over every incline.
gary 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #25
kmessinger

Location: East of San Francisco, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary 32 View Post
Motor Trend:
If there's one place where the Sprinter let us down, it's the engine. In most day-to-day situations, the 3.0-liter V-6 turbodiesel is sufficiently powerful to get the job done, but attack even the smallest incline and you feel the power disappear.

Even with the van loaded to a third of its maximum payload, extended hillclimbs, such as those on the way out of Los Angeles, had the Sprinter working hard to maintain freeway speeds with the pedal on the floor. Loaded to the hilt, the Sprinter's 154 horses and 280 pound-feet of torque would've had us crawling with the big-rigs over every incline.
I disagree with Motor Trend and don't think they actually drove a loaded Sprinter. My Sprinter is always loaded and weighs in not less than 8k. I have not had any problem maintaining a speed reasonable for a 4-ton truck. Maybe not as fast as some cars but most definitely not crawling with the big-rigs over every incline. I have been up and down the Grapevine with no crawling noted.

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #26
bikergar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingtheDream View Post
Bikergar, if you want a new millenium hot rod.. the CTS-V is for you!!!!

Thank you,

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile
Actually Its an Olds J2 that I'm thinking about. Now if you don't have to Google that.....You're old...

gary

Keep Doing What You Did, and You'll Keep Getting What You Got...
2008 2500 CRD 144 inch High Roof Crew Van
bikergar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #27
bikergar

Quote:
Motor Trend:

With all due respect to Motor Trend...I must have an exceptional Sprinter...

gary

Keep Doing What You Did, and You'll Keep Getting What You Got...
2008 2500 CRD 144 inch High Roof Crew Van
bikergar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #28
cedarsanctum
re: Member

Quote:
Motor Trend:

Where did they get that van? It should go back into the shop.
Even though i don't think i usually load mine much, just the RV stuff, camping gear, boat and craft booth stuff, i have never had it drive like they describe. My Vanda doesn't know it's supposed to crawl over hills. It just GOES! and never looks back at who it's passed.

Jef
Old 10-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #29
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,869 Posts

I didn't read the article, but if the reviewer went from a high-powered sports car directly to a Sprinter, w/o getting into a couple of Ford or Chev 1500s first..... if the reviewer failed to realize that he's driving a 6000 lbs vehicle and not a 2500 lbs sedan, I could see how the performance might seem sluggish.... especially if cornering and braking seemed in line with a 2500 lbs sports car.

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #30
brianmcgaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
If you're considering a product to make adjustments to anything remotely impacts fuel injection, I'd like to play a game.

Please write down how you think your Sprinter's fuel injectors work.... just jot down your understanding.... high level stuff like "this is what a fuel injector does...."

Then write down how you understand a "chip" or a "programmer" or might improve the situation as far as you're concerned....

Then read this: Attachment 17972

Now looking at what you wrote down, and after having read that PDF.... what are your thoughts?

-Jon
Hey relax Jon, nobody is shoving chips or programmers down anyones throat. Companies need hardware to sell you or else most people wont bite.
What I was eluding to is how communities of car enthusiasts have dismantled most of the popular ecus and offer software for reading the ecu maps and altering engine perameters often times for free or a small donation. Even the Nissan GTR which was said to have an "uncrackable" ecu was cracked before they even hit US shores (by buying a JDM version and shipping it here). I doubt if MB put any roadblocks into their ecu.
Some of these guys (Mitsubishi, Subaru, NIssan, Mazda,etc. enthusiasts) are running dual maps on the stock ecu, one for pump fuel, and one for E85, with a switch on the dash to toggle between the maps based on availability. They also run ethanol content anylyzers to monitor the E85 because of differences in ethanol content from winter to summer blend requires a modification to the map, all on the stock ecu. Valet modes, gear dependant boost (great for different driving habits city vs highway), raised speed limiters, you name it its being done.
Think about it, you give a "tuner" $150 for a map, download it to your ecu. Drive and log the engines outputs and send the logs to your tuner, he sends a modified map back notating changes made (and you learn something about what he is doing) and you download to the ecu using your laptop and a purchased cable.
This is far better than a chips perameters that were set with a high safety margin for unknown variables (just like the OEM maps) like fuel type, loads, etc. etc.
It is widely known on this forum that the fuel we have in the US isnt ideal for the motor right? Why not modify the maps to run most efficiently on our fuel?
The sites beloved A.bittender is modifying maps on the torque converter, its a complicated thing (like diesel injectors), and was designed by MB, what could he possibly do to make it better? :)

Sure tuning isnt for everybody, and no we dont have what we need (tuners or software)to do it right now hence wishing we could get a few ecu engineers over here/interested to dismantle the thing. Diesel engine tuning, is diesel engine tuning, from that point on no matter how complicated the systems are its all just run by a computer.

Based on bikergars review I think I COULD be happy with the power. But not everyone has the same review as him.
I still would like a "scramble boost" button that gives me the 392ftlbs the poster above has with his Renntech for a limiited time frame (120 sec?) and only if certain conditions are met (oil temp, trans temp, etc.), besides running as effieciently and as CLEANLY as I can on a daily basis. Almost all cars come pig rich from the factory and from what I have seen of the EGR problems on these the Sprinter is no exception. Why not clean it up?
I think there is a big market for this, if you could save a fleet of vehicles like FEdex just 2 miles/gallon/vehicle worldwide by being tuned for the fuel in its particular country?