Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
LivingtheDream
2009 LTV Serenity

Arrow Sprinter Performance Upgrades

What performance upgrades are available for a 2009 Freightliner Sprinter? What upgrades have you used and what are the outcomes?
What are the costs and installation issues?

We are just purchasing our second Sprinter (trading the first in, 2008 for a 2009). Its a Class B RV, but used mostly for travel, not camping. We have put 23K miles on in the first 10 months, and wanted some more space so we moved from a PleasureWay Ascent to a Leisure Freedom II Serenity.

Now that we are in the Sprinter that we intend to keep for the long term, we would like to give the turbo-diesel some boost. The one we had, 2008 Dodge Sprinter ran well, had no issues but we would like a bit more kick if its available.

The forums have been a great source of information about all that is Sprinter, so it is clear that we need to come back here and get input from all of you.

Thank you,

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile.
LivingtheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
dukepilot
Custom Spooling USA

Default Re: Sprinter Performance Upgrades

The Sprinter Store www.sprinterstore.com has a number of performance upgrades. Koni shocks and heavy duty sway bars might be a good idea on a RV Sprinter. They also have trans coolers and an auxiliary cooling fan. The Power Diesel module they offer also adds a little power and is easy to install. I have this module on my Sprinter and it did add a little more torque without significantly sacrificing fuel economy or future reliability. It does not increase boost pressure, it just increases fuel rail pressure slightly and alters fuel pulse timing.
2008 144" NCV3 HiTop, 3.0 CRD OM642, Performance/Emissions Tune by CustomSpooling, Progressive Water/Methanol Injection, 3.92 Axle, Koni Shocks, 235/85-16 Cooper S/T Maxx Tires, Kicker Speakers/10" Sub Woofer/Boss 800 watt amp

If it causes trouble, delete it! If you want improved reliability, performance and economy, get a Customized Tune for your Sprinter! Contact peter@customspooling.com or go to www.customspooling.com and visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/customspoolingusa
dukepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,032 Times in 1,705 Posts

I have no personal experience with the products or the services offered by http://inmotionusa.com/ - I just know they have some Sprinter specific offerings to boost performance.

I'd classify that as "daring" or for the "thrill seekers only," since - from what I read - you ship some your electronic control module hardware right out of your Sprinter to them for a reprogramming.

I haven't investigated further because I'm a coward.

While I also don't own one of those Power Diesel module things: John Bendit (www.sprinterstore.com) doesn't sell stuff that will kill your Sprinter. He's very thorough in his investigations and only sells things you can trust with your life (if properly installed) and he only installs products that he sells properly and with a fine eye for detail and function.

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf

Last edited by jdcaples; 10-21-2009 at 06:20 PM.
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 1,047 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingtheDream View Post
What performance upgrades are available for a 2009 Freightliner Sprinter? What upgrades have you used and what are the outcomes?
What are the costs and installation issues?

We are just purchasing our second Sprinter (trading the first in, 2008 for a 2009). Its a Class B RV, but used mostly for travel, not camping. We have put 23K miles on in the first 10 months, and wanted some more space so we moved from a PleasureWay Ascent to a Leisure Freedom II Serenity.

Now that we are in the Sprinter that we intend to keep for the long term, we would like to give the turbo-diesel some boost. The one we had, 2008 Dodge Sprinter ran well, had no issues but we would like a bit more kick if its available.

The forums have been a great source of information about all that is Sprinter, so it is clear that we need to come back here and get input from all of you.

Thank you,

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile.
The best boost you could offer your $15,000+ engine is a high quality fuel additive to offset the abysmal gas on this side of the pond. Average cetane measured in our gas is 44, and our engine are designed/programed for 49/51.

Try: TDR or TDR-WDA(Winter Blend) from Almalgamated Inc. http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-wda.aspx

There is no such thing as a Free Lunch when it comes to 'Chip Programming'.
OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
kmessinger

Location: East of San Francisco, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
Try: TDR or TDR-WDA(Winter Blend) from Almalgamated Inc. http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-wda.aspx
I emailed them. Do they sell small quantities?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 1,047 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
I emailed them. Do they sell small quantities?

Thanks,

Keith
I purchased a 5gal pail of winter. It was about $105 and will do 400gal of fuel. They did offer a smaller pail or 2.5 for a little more than half the price of the 5gal, but with the price of shipping it made no sense to get it.

The gentleman to speak to is Randy Walker.
OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
LivingtheDream
2009 LTV Serenity

So, the power diesel module and fuel additives are the mainstay of performance upgrades at this point.

From a full disclosure standpoint, and for those who have never upgraded, I also drive a Cadillac CTS-V, a 400hp, 395 ft lbs torque automobile with a six speed manual that does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. That car has been modded with air intake, exhaust and a power tuned chip. 5 years later, it runs great and just wont quit. It still is hard work to keep the rear wheels from 'hopping' when you get heavy footed. So doing tunning changes is not unusual for me on gas engines. My quandry is that my new 09 Sprinter is only my second diesel and I dont have experience with modficiation, but with 156 horses and the standard torgue a bit more with some additional fuel economy would be a good thing.

I am investigating the power diesel module which as was stated increases fuel pressure without changing anything in the actual electronic tuning of the engine.

Thanks for the past and continuing responses.

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile
LivingtheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #8
kendall69

Default I Love this option......

Option # 2: For a *limited number of USA models you can now purchase you own hand held programmer that you use

to load your original ECU file onto. (Please note this is a different unit then Option # 1) You then use the supplied

software to upload and email us your original. We then modify your original and send it back for download into the

unit. Or you can choose the "NO PC" method, just mail us back the unit and let us do all the work! You can store up to

3 separate files in the hand held unit. Which allows you to flash your car WITHOUT USING A LAPTOP OR PC any time

you want. Flash back to stock for dealer service etc. Also functions as a scan tool on *most models!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
72chevy4x4

what about having an additional eccu with the new program and keeping the OE eccu on hand for swapping back in if needed? is it that 'easy'?
72chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
GEARS
2005 140WB standard roof

My other car is a EVO-8 that makes 460WHP and makes just over 400ft.lbs of torque and will stomp your Cadillac but that's besides the point
GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote