oil in turbo hose

xfordfan

enough to make it leak? had some drips on driveway and took apart EGR, it looked OK. any thoughts? thanks again guys.

I've learned that some entrained oil in the intake system from the turbo is to be expected. If it is beginning to come out and drip on the ground I would inspect for leaks. I would first determine if is really coming out of the intake components. Check the turbo resonator (2004 - 2006), hoses, charge air cooler. If it's coming from a hose it could be a loose clamp or the hose beginning to split.

It would also be possible for the oil to be coming from elsewhere and getting blown onto other components to make it look like they are the source.

I believe the pre 2004 models are known for a bit of oil coming out of the EGR system.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=55450&postcount=7

I know your Sprinter is 2006, but I think it still applies. (Thanks for including that on your signature. I wish everyone would do that.) My 2004 has a bit of oil that seems to get around underneath, but so far I have not noticed any drips. I do wipe things off a bit if I'm under the van for other things so that may be why I don't see any dripping. Sorry I can't be more definitive. AP/vic

Edit: This is somewhat unrelated, but it reminded me. I find it interesting to note often there's a dirty spot on the highway where there is a bump. I figure it is from all the little oil drips on vehicles that are just hanging on until they are jostled loose by the bump. Maybe my oil drips are knocked off because our roads are so terrible. :turd: :bash:Simple things just amuse me I guess.

Last edited:

xfordfan

enough to make it leak? had some drips on driveway and took apart EGR, it looked OK. any thoughts? thanks again guys.
Went back a few threads and found I had a dirty air filter. minder showed about 50%. Dont know if it fixed the leak yet. appears to be some oil in intercooler. Something I should be concerned w/ or will turbo blow it out?

Went back a few threads and found I had a dirty air filter. minder showed about 50%. Dont know if it fixed the leak yet. appears to be some oil in intercooler. Something I should be concerned w/ or will turbo blow it out?
FWIW. Reports I've read say that your air filter really needs to be bad for the filter minder to show red. If you were showing half red the dirty filter may well have contributed to your problem.

I can't answer the oil in the intercooler question, but I would guess that it will work through eventually. I say that because oil is constantly being introduced in small quantities during normal operation. AP/vic

xfordfan

FWIW. Reports I've read say that your air filter really needs to be bad for the filter minder to show red. If you were showing half red the dirty filter may well have contributed to your problem.

I can't answer the oil in the intercooler question, but I would guess that it will work through eventually. I say that because oil is constantly being introduced in small quantities during normal operation. AP/vic
filter imo didnt look to bad. that said, my leaks seem to be getting worse. some oil seems to be coming from filter cap and working its way down. removed uptube and found some oil. A 15 minute ride and i have drips, after i wipe pan.

xfordfan,
+1 member for the filter minder working as advertised.:hmmm: Good info to have because I was not so confident after reading some others experiences with it.

Most of what I've learned is parroted from the internet and mechanics I talk to. Your symptoms are beyond anything I've learned so far. I suggest that you detail your symptoms as best you can and hope that someone recognizes them and lists possible causes. Good luck. AP/vic

Last edited:

xfordfan

filter imo didnt look to bad. that said, my leaks seem to be getting worse. some oil seems to be coming from filter cap and working its way down. removed uptube and found some oil. A 15 minute ride and i have drips, after i wipe pan.
decided to do early oil change after i loosening oil filter and re tightened. boost pressure must have damaged O ring at oil filter. replaced O ring and did oil change and leak is gone. never had leak before this problem.

Top Bottom