Sprinter 07 Gas P2138 trouble code

double07

My 07 Gas Sprinter CEL came on yesterday along with ESP and the tire symbol at 5700 miles on the clock, ScangaugeII read P2138 code, anyone knows what this trouble code means ?
Will bring it to th dealer on Tuesday.

Thanks,
Ktran

double07

Jon,
That's from the T1N, not sure if it's the same for NCV3.
My wife brought the van to Hartzheim Dodge in Hayward this morning, and she called to inform me that they are closed for business. Anyone knows anything about this ? Will they be closed for good ? They are not on list.

Thanks,
Ktran

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
P2138 is not mentioned in the NCV3 service manual. It's mentioned in The Chilton Chrysler Service Manual, 2008 Edition which includes 2007 Sprinters (gas and diesel).

The Chilton's book says:

DTC P2138
1T CCM
years, 2005, 2006 2007
Models: Ram Truck.
Engines: All
Transmissions: All

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensors 1 & 2 Correlation.

I'd keep typing, but as you can see, I am having significant difficulties finding any documentation on this DTC with regards to NCV3s.

I'm sorry.

-Jon

PS: Call Customer Service and find out who can repair your Sprinter since your dealership is closed down.

1-800-992-1997
M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM
Continental Time Zones

Last edited:

double07

Jon,
Thanks for all your research,
Looks like the closest Sprinter dealer is Stoneridge Chrysler in Dublin (about 20 miles away)

Thanks,
Ktran

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
If you're able, see if they'll give you a Vehicle Scan report before they clear the code. I'm curious....

Take care, Ktran

-Jon

double07

Finally, I was able to bring my Sprinter to Stoneridge Chrysler, they read the TC and found ABS code 51A5, EMC code 0089, and 1281 code with no description, they just cleared the codes and did nothing.
They could not find P2138 as the Scangauge did, and this problem happened 3 times already, my wife was driving all 3 times, 1st time CEL & tire symbol while in motion she was able to continue without a restart, 2nd time CEL and ESP while in motion she was able to continue without a restart, 3rd time CEL & ESP when stopped at the traffic light, when the light turned green she stepped on the gas pedal and the van did not move, restarted to drive again.
Just before I brought it to the dealer, the scangauge still showed P2138 code.
The Service writer told me that it could have been cleared on its own after a set number of restarts, not sure if this is true. Looks like I will have to wait until it happens again to see what code they will read.

Thanks,
Ktran

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Finally, I was able to bring my Sprinter to Stoneridge Chrysler, they read the TC and found ABS code 51A5, EMC code 0089, and 1281 code with no description, they just cleared the codes and did nothing.

They could not find P2138 as the Scangauge did, and this problem happened 3 times already, my wife was driving all 3 times, 1st time CEL & tire symbol while in motion she was able to continue without a restart, 2nd time CEL and ESP while in motion she was able to continue without a restart, 3rd time CEL & ESP when stopped at the traffic light, when the light turned green she stepped on the gas pedal and the van did not move, restarted to drive again.
Just before I brought it to the dealer, the scangauge still showed P2138 code.

The Service writer told me that it could have been cleared on its own after a set number of restarts, not sure if this is true. Looks like I will have to wait until it happens again to see what code they will read.

Thanks,
Ktran
DTCs are cleared after a number of "start the vehicle" events w/o a repeat of the triggering condition.

I tried to get a feel for how accurate the scanguage is, in this thread, but only T1N owners responded. Out of those, only rlent said his scanguage tells enormous lies.

Honestly, the dealership scan tools for NCV3s, StarMOBILE or WiTECH have to be authoritative. Dealership tools are more vehicle specific than the one-size-fits-most scanguage.

Assuming (for a moment) the dealership is staffed with competent technicians, they should have seen it on high-priced, service bay scan tool. Getting a StarMOBILE or WiTECH print out would have "proven" that their scan tool did not see what the scanguage did. I wish they'd have given a print out to you.

Regardless, clearing the codes and hoping it goes away is a standard practice; not helpful to you, but it probably saves more dealership time than it costs, over the course of say, a year.

Since they didn't do anything but expose the ODB port, plug in a scan tool and clear all the codes and close the port lid and return the cover, I'd expect that your problem will resurface again. Keep the thread updated, please. There may be an M272-equipped Sprinter owner, like yourself, that might need the info.

-Jon

sikwan

06 Tin Can
My wife brought the van to Hartzheim Dodge in Hayward this morning, and she called to inform me that they are closed for business. Anyone knows anything about this ? Will they be closed for good ? They are not on list.
KTran...Hartzheim had a Hayward and San Jose (off Capitol Expressway) dealership. I picked mine up at Hayward too. Hayward closed a long time ago before the DC fallout.

double07

Got the van back today after 2 weeks and 5 days in the shop for driveshaft and fuel pump replacement at 9K miles, and again the report said FOUND DTC 0089 & 51A5, they cleared the codes and ran diag and everything is OK.
I believe these are the codes set for the problem that the van did not move with the ESP & traction lights turn on.
Looked at the DTCs Jon posted on the NVC3 data base
51A5 - IMPLAUSIBLE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MESSAGE RECEIVED
and nothing for 0089

Jon and Dr. A, do you have any idea ?

Thanks,
Ktran

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Working on the theory that the info you received about 0089 was partially correct, I searched the info for 089 and found several DTCs related to fuel system functionality.

I started to consider trying to find M272 service information, but the truth is that I'm not sure the information will accomplish what you want, because - outside of curiousity - I'm not sure what you are hoping to accomplish knowing what these codes mean?

I'm not slamming ya. I just want to make sure research efforts are actually headed in the right direction.

I'm happy to try to help you, but I want to ask what are you trying to achieve and how will the info help you achieve it?

-Jon

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
0089-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 1/2 CORRELATION HGH
51A5-IMPLAUSIBLE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MESSAGE RECEIVED

OK now we have 2 codes that point at 2 different components, but are hand in hand in a system
more to come. The 1281 has no test , but could you have meant 1289 if so that is a code for letting system know there is a code in the ABS/ ESP module. What needs to be known is what code was set first ?? Normal human nature is if the vehicle is running poorly or barely running, we tend to apply the brake at a stop and then apply the accelerator at the same time to keep it running (2 footing). My suspicion is that the 51A5, came from such a event (in non technical terms, the ECM,and ABS module gets confused with seeing both accelerator peadal applied and brake applied at same time) The dealer should start by checking the throttle body for inconsistant and erratic voltage reading on the 2 position sensor circuits. Then if nothing is found ROAD TESTING may bring the DTC to a active state, and possibly lead to the fix, wich maybe the replacement of the throttle body, but don't quote me on the fix statement,testing is needed however.

Carl

Last edited:

double07

Jon,
Just try to get the problem fixed before it gets worse and warranty runs out, I really don't want to be stranded with 5 little kids.
As you can see that the dealer found these 2 codes twice but they did not do anything accept for clearing the codes.

Thanks,
Ktran

Top Bottom