Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
techie1961

Default Door lock issue

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on door locks. I still can't figure them out. The issue that I am having is that I can't seem to lock the doors. If I hit the lock button on the remote, it locks then unlocks. If I hit it again, I can get the doors to lock.

The problem seems to be with the rear doors. The right light on the central lock button flashes. I took the rear door panel off and can't see anything wrong. I know that it is still under warranty but I can't afford to have the truck in the shop. I need it every day for work as I own my own company.

Is there something that I can check at the rear doors? I checked the contact pads but I don't know what the meter readings should be at the pads or the plunger pins.

I did get a couple of responses from the forum that I posted in originally (T1N Database) but I reposted here.
techie1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
poiuytrewq

Default Re: Door lock issue

if any 1 or more doors are open when you push the lock button on the remote the closed doors will lock and unlock-the marker lights will not flash(indicating all locked). I believe the steel contacts in the door jams indicate to the computer that the door is closed- if your doors are not aligned properly, or the contacts are dirty(some type of poor connection\)the computer thinks the door is open and will not indicate all is locked and will again unlock all with no flashing marker light. I have to push my rear doors from time to time to make a good connection, and to lock all the doors.
poiuytrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
BKHomes

You should check all contacts including the ones on the side door. I can't recall if there are 2 sets of three or 1 set of three on that door??Where they are located is a little out of the way, so you may not even know they are there. I too had similar problems and finally figured out it was the rear connectors. My problem ended up being the plunger pin assemblies (Black "D" shaped things) were not seated properly in the door. I bought my van used and the rear doors were dented up a bit. I noticed that one of my plunger assemblies (left door) was not resting flush against the door. This actually caused the lower pin in that assembly to not make good contact. The result of this, was my license plate lights did not turn on. The fix for this required me to gently bend the metal where the plunger seats (I being a caveman, used a flathead screwdriver and a putty knife). On the right door, my van has two sets of the plunger pins. One of those assemblies was loose. I took it out of the door and noticed that two of the silver retaining clips (they are what hold the plunger assemblies in the door) had fallen off. After retrieving the clips from the inside of the door, I re-installed them, bent them outwards slightly so the would put more tension against the door. Also, make sure when you push the retainer clips in you ensure they are all the way in. Otherwise, they will fall out again. I used a jewlers screwdriver (flathead) and pushed pretty hard. This was best done with the entire plunger assembly out of the van. Voila! problem solved. Door locks work perfectly now. Flashing arrows are non-existent unless I leave the door open!
BKHomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
techie1961

Tomorrow, I am going to have another look at them to see if I can see anything going on. The issue seems to be with the rear doors as I have to lock them manually each time. The ritual has become, hit the remote lock, wait for it to lock and unlock, hit the remote again and then go and manually lock the back door. The back door won't lock or unlock with the system.

On the back door, there are two sets of pads on the right rear door and one pad on the left rear door. All of them have three pins each. If I could figure out the pinouts, it might help me along. I suspect that some contacts are for the defroster and some are for the lock on the right door. I also noticed that some of the doors seem to use black plungers that are merely switches.

So far though, I have tried some fine abrasive work on the pads and pins (fine steel wool) and general inspection with the door panels removed. All of the doors are undamaged (had the van since new) but there has been the ocassional copper tube that got into the door jam near the right door pads.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 1,713 Times in 1,342 Posts

There are four contacts involved with the rear door lock, and you can determine which is which by the wire color in the body (the in-door colors may match, but the manual isn't clear on that).
From the 2004 Service manual: The contact which goes directly to one side of the lock motor is Blue with a Red stripe. It's also the "lock" driver.
(i assume that means it's taken to +12v for the "lock" function.)
The "unlock" driver is Black with a Red stripe, and ties to one side of the "door ajar" switch, where it's directly tied to the other side of the motor.
The above two wires also run to all of the -other- "non-driver's" doors, to drive their locking motors.

The "wiper" of the "door ajar" switch feeds to the wiper of the "locked/unlocked" -sensing switch.
One side of that switch goes through a door contact to become a Yellow wire with a White stripe ("lock sense"),
the other side of that switch goes to become a Dark Green with Black stripe wire ("unlock sense").
Which -contact buttons- are used for those last two is swapped between Wagon and Cargo models,
but the functions follow the wire colors.

good luck
--dick
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
cravings (05-18-2010)
Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
mean_in_green
>1,800,000m in MB vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie1961 View Post
...The back door won't lock or unlock with the system
...but there has been the ocassional copper tube that got into the door jam near the right door pads.
If the pins and contacts meet correctly it has to be either a solenoid, a cable problem or a wiring problem.

If cable related it will be quickly apparent with the door card off. It could just be that the plastic retainer on one end has broken. Not sure this is the problem though, as locking/unlocking is through direct contact of solenoid and mechanism.

Can you hear the solenoid at all? The actuator will still usually move a little even if knick-knacked. A free way to check would be to compare the range of movement with a known working one, i.e. a mate's. If you need to order one, you don't need to order the complete mechanism with solenoid as shown on the parts system diagram.

Central locking problems are rarely wiring related, unless someone's been messing, a cable has been damaged or connection off.

Last edited by mean_in_green; 04-14-2009 at 10:07 AM.
mean_in_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
techie1961

Problem found. Thanks very much guys.

The pins weren't meeting up with the contact plates. I had thought that they were because there are marks on them where they rub but it was just barely. When I went in the truck and closed the doors (not easy with a full work truck) I could see that the travel of the pins isn't even close to moving. The pins just touch.

Is there an adjustment on the hinges? I need to get that door closer to the right of the truck so that there is positive contact. I can see that there are three torx screws in ech but don't want to break them open. This Sprinter is rusting bad enough without disturbing more paint.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 1,713 Times in 1,342 Posts

If the doors are closing properly, you might not want to move them apart.

I'd be severely tempted to try to either shim the contact pads or the button set up from the sheet metal
(but i'll bet that they're held in by simple snap-fingers, so shimming is difficult).
I'd also be tempted to add a drop of solder to make the pins higher/longer, but you'd have to be -very- careful not to melt the plastic.

Got a tiny drill? (think "Dremel") Put a small hole and a 0-80 brass screw into the top of the buttons?
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
dfbergeron

I had the same issue on my 2006 Sprinter. I shimmed the upper contacts that are mounted on the right side of the rear of the van, not the ones on the door, for they were not meeting at all. I shimmed them about an eight of an inch and the rear lock works every time. Good Luck.

Den
dfbergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
leroy

Maybe this has been discussed in another thread, but I cannot find any reference to the rear latch cable. So here goes...

For some time my 2004 will not lock the rear doors. All of the other locks engage. I cannot lock the rear even with a key. Today I took the panel off the right rear to expose the mechanism. After some hours of continual disassembly and reassembly, I determined that the culprit is the cable that runs between the interior back door latch and the locking mechanism. If I remove the cable, the lock works as it should, by the key fob button and the key itself. If I install the cable and let the interior latch assembly just hang with the cable from the locking mechanism, it still works correctly. If I then reconnect the interior latch to the door, the lock will no longer will actuate.

It appears that the cable is about 1/2 inch too long. There is a compression curve in the cable when everything is assembled and this appears to inhibit the locking mechanism. The cable is relatively stiff and there is no way to adjust the length. I have checked carefully for any sign of deformation or change in the interior latch or locking mechanism that might explain the apparent misfit of the cable, but I can see nothing that would account for it. It appears to be a design flaw that eventually caused the lock to fail to engage. I do not understand how it does that, because the mechanics are not visible when it is in operation. However, I am confident that if I can shorten the cable, I can make it work. This maybe easier said than done. I will tackle it tomorrow. If anyone has an easy fix for this, please post.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote