transmission fluid?

mgace2500

i am changing transmission fluid and filter at 60,000miles.went to napa autoparts for trans. fluid.they looked up 2006 dodge sprinter and found VALVOLINE MAXLIFE-DEX/MERC ATF IN RED CONTAINER.the price was around 5 to 6 dollars a quart.i saw online the fluid for sprinters was twice as much the cost.i want to use the right STUFF for the job no matter the cost.has anyone here used this or found out it is ok for our sprinters transmissions?

With my 2004 I took the conventional route and used Crossfire/Sprinter fluid from the Dodge dealer. It is not the cheap route, but it's good for about 60,000 miles so I guess it's not that bad.

Related threads here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5183
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5027
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2476

Here's what I found about the VALVOLINE MAXLIFE-DEX/MERC ATF IN RED CONTAINER:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=6

http://www.nordiques.com/pieces/images/cataloguepdf/applicationhuiletrans.pdf

They claim it's good for the NAG1 tranny. I didn't see any Mercedes Benz (MB) spec numbers listed. Maybe I missed them. Redline is supposed to be good for the NAG1 also, but I have not seen where they meet MB specs either. Maybe I missed that too.

If you have no warranty and want to try it, why not? The real gamble is any long term problems. On the short term if the transmission develops shudder or excessive RSN then just drop the fluid and go back to MB approved stuff. If you use the Valvoline fluid please keep us updated over time.

Of course as I have no experience using the VALVOLINE MAXLIFE-DEX/MERC ATF IN RED CONTAINER I haven't really answered your question. Hope this helps. vic

Last edited:

Shade installer

I have been looking for ATFs that meet the correct specs for my '06 sprinter and just came across a new product from Mobil which is apparently made specifically to meet the MB 236.14 spec. If you search mobil ATF 134 you should be able to find links to various sources of info on it including a spec sheet pdf. I don't know yet where it can be found, although at least one of the threads at benzworld seem to think that Walmart will be a likely early source. I called all the local Walmarts in my area to no avail. If anyone finds out where to find this please advise. PS i'm in the Charlotte NC area.

Attachments

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
i am changing transmission fluid and filter at 60,000miles.went to napa autoparts for trans. fluid.they looked up 2006 dodge sprinter and found VALVOLINE MAXLIFE-DEX/MERC ATF IN RED CONTAINER.the price was around 5 to 6 dollars a quart.i saw online the fluid for sprinters was twice as much the cost.i want to use the right STUFF for the job no matter the cost.has anyone here used this or found out it is ok for our sprinters transmissions?
Here's a reprint of my earlier posting on the subject of "approved for NAG1's". Go by the appropriate MBenz spec number NOT an NAG1 approval:

Please be aware that not all NAG1s are created equal. Chrysler uses the various NAG1 versions in many high perf automobile applications under the marketing name "auto stick". These typically utilize a conventional ATF.

The Sprinter's NAG1 (designation 722.681) has several clutch discs that are unique to the Sprinter application and MBenz has always claimed that the Sprinter's commercial vehicle TCM programming is calibrated for the use of the factory specified Shell/Fuchs fluid and "the use of a non-approved ATF may result in shifting concerns and clutch discs may wear prematurely". Warranties in effect would then be voided. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
just came across a new product from Mobil which is apparently made specifically to meet the MB 236.14 spec. I don't know yet where it can be found, although at least one of the threads at benzworld seem to think that Walmart will be a likely early source. I called all the local Walmarts in my area to no avail. If anyone finds out where to find this please advise. PS i'm in the Charlotte NC area.
I seriously doubt this Mobil product is available in the USA. This is likely a 'European only' fluid. Doktor A

Last edited:
I purchased some Mobil ! synthetic ATF today and the label states:

Suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:

Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9

My owners manual (2004) states that transmission fluid must meet: MB 236.1 or MB 236.12

It seems that the MOBIL 1 Synthetic ATF meets the sprinters transmission fluid requirements. I did a full transmission service today(drained torque converter, drained pan, replaced filter, new pan gasket) with this fluid. Also replaced the transmission electrical connector with part Andy recommended. Drained and replaced differential fluid with MOBIL 1 Synthetic gear lube LS 75W-90.
Transmission shifts nicely!

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
My owners manual (2004) states that transmission fluid must meet: MB 236.1 or MB 236.12
Your '04 manual should have stated 236.10 or 236.12.

Today the recommendation is 236.12 or 236.14.

And here's yet another ad nauseum reprint of my prior posting:
The Sprinter's NAG1 (designation 722.681) has several clutch discs that are unique to the Sprinter application and MBenz has always claimed that the Sprinter's commercial vehicle TCM programming is calibrated for the use of the factory specified Shell/Fuchs fluid and "the use of a non-approved ATF may result in shifting concerns and clutch discs may wear prematurely". Warranties in effect would then be voided. Doktor A

I bought the fluid at Advance Auto. As I stated in my previous post I replaced the differential fluid with the synthetic MOBIL 1 LW75-90. Does any one think or know that was not a good choice?
Thanks

rlent

Auburn,

My '06 service manual recommendation:

"Use oils approved to MB 235.0 or 235.6, such as Shell Spirax MB90, Caltex Hypoid LD, or MOPAR part number 4874469, or equivalent. An API GL-5/MIL-2105-E SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil may be substituted. Reduced axle durability may result if an unapproved product is used."

I can tell you that the gear oil I got from my local Dodge dealer is Sprinter-specific - or at least it says "Sprinter" right on the label. The Mopar part number shown above from my service manual is incorrect (for my vehicle) - it has either been been superseded to a different number - or is different as a consequence of the specific axle on my vehicle. The correct part number (for my vehicle) according to my PDF parts manual it is 5136033AA (from memory that number seems right, but best to verify of course)

I can also tell you that my son just had the rear axle replaced in his '04 2500 (although likely not as a result of the use of incorrect fluid) - it cost him around $2K (for a used rear end, he had it done and didn't do it himself)

And just to elaborate on Doktor A's post above - 236.1 is not the same as 236.10 - they are two completely different fluids. Personally I'd dump what you put in (by carefully draining it so that you might use it in another vehicle) and get the right stuff. FWIW.

Last edited:

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
I would be more willing to try different differential fluids than transmission fluids. The transmission has clutches and valves in there that can slip and stick and I would not take chances there. But the differential, what is it in there? Gears and bearings. I think that you wil be fine as long as you have some gear oil in there, wheather synthetic or dino. This is just my oppinion, correct me if you have more insight into it.

rlent

The transmission has clutches and valves in there that can slip and stick and I would not take chances there. But the differential, what is it in there? Gears and bearings.
This may well be true in the case of the Sprinter (dunno for sure), but it isn't necessarily true for all rear axles as a general principal - limited-slip/posi-traction rearends have clutch packs in them:

Limited Slip Differentials

Top Bottom