OBD

dtw56

I have a PW Plateau TS. Is a OBD scanner something every owner should have? If so, do you have any recommendations for the Plateau. I've seen everything in price from $20 to over $500 (autoenginuity). Thanks.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
There have been many recent and past threads on this topic. Do a search on OBDII or Autel or scan tool, etc., and you will find more info than you can read in a month. :smilewink:

dtw56

Thanks, I did that and was getting overwhelmed. I was hoping to get a simple answer for a newbie whether this was an essential thing to do and if the cheaper tools were worth it (and would it work on a PW).

icarus

The simple answer is that there are few (if any) consumer level scanners that work fiery well for sprinters. Most will read generic codes, but not MB specific codes. Unless you are willing to spend LOTS of money one is probably as good as another.

I would suggest a scan gauge or Ultra gauge to be used on board to monitor performance and will also give generic code info.

Icarus

sailquik

dtw56,
As long as your Pleasure Way RV is based on a MB/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter cargo or Sprinter Cab/Chassis the answer is YES!
There are decisions to make however.
1/ Do you want to get the best performance and fuel economy from your PW RV?
2/ Do you want to learn to drive your PW RV in a manner that will give you both of the items in 1 above and provide better overall vehicle longevity and
provide the potential for your RV to avoid expensive repairs.
For 1 and 2 you need a performance monitoring OBDII device like the Scan Gauge II/ UltraGauge EM/ Dash DAQ/Cell phone/tablet based performance monitoring APPs.
The above devices will be permanently installed in your Sprinter based RV and you will quickly learn to depend on them to provide the information you need to really get the most from your Sprinter.
OR
3/ Do you want to have a device to use to analyze/diagnose Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) that possibly could have been avoided if you had heeded the information provided
by the devices above.
For this you need a dealer visit to access the MB SDS
OR
Autel MD802/ MB SDS Clone from China/DAD/DRBIII and a very steep
learning curve on how to use it and interpret what it tells you.
None of these diagnostic devices will tell you what the problem really is, reliably.
in all cases.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I understand the overwhelmed part. ;) For basic use a Scangauge or Ultragauge will display many generic problems (as well as providing a handy readout of many useful realtime parameters such as load, coolant and/or transmission temp. etc.) but are limited in usefulness for detailed diagnostics. The most cost-effective next-step up seems to be the Autel MD802 at about $250, it can read most MB-specific codes and will display a lot of interesting information for those technically/mechanically inclined. The MD802 reads and clears codes only, if you want to be able to issue commands (potentially dangerous if you don't know what you're doing) then the prices spiral up (way up) from there.

Last edited:
I have been using a Scan Guage II device in my 2006 Plateau for years now and really like it. It's small, simple, easy installation and can display 4 items at once. More than enough to read while driving down the road and keep track of things. You can get them at a reasonable cost of about $160 or so through Amazon or go to Linear Logic's website directly. Most Sprinter owners have a Scanguage that they can read and reset basic codes with. It's also used to monitor real time parameters like LOD (engine load), water temperature, voltage, gallons of fuel per minute, miles per gallon, speed, and a whole slew of other things. I find I look at that more than I look at my dash guages as it's more accurate.
There is a bit of setup/configuration to do, but in order for any of those tools to be useful, you've got to do that for any of them.
It can be transferred and used with other vehicles, but unless you go through the setup for the different vehicle for it to be effective, you'll find you want one for the other vehicle also.

lukedog

Why Dogs Fly
I am planning on getting the Ultragauge Blue . Bluetooth and an inexpensive 7" Android tablet to read. Much better screen than anything else. Can anyone tell me if they think this is not a good idea.

sailquik

smiller wrote:
"The MD802 reads and clears codes only, if you want to be able to issue commands (potentially dangerous if you don't know what you're doing) then the prices spiral up (way up) from there."
It seems many folks think that having a powerful Diagnostic tool (similar to the Factory Mercedes Benz Star Diagnosis System) would give them the ability to make changes
to the factory engineered programming for Sprinter Systems.
As smiller suggests, having the ability to reprogram Sprinter systems is potentially very dangerous and would introduce the possibility of turning your Sprinter or Sprinter based
RV into a large metal brick (or Dennis's choice....a lawn ornament).
The MB SDS used to reprogram/(add/delete) features/options in Sprinters at authorized MB dealers has the software broken up into several sections.
Level 1 is the baseline MB SDS diagnostics (used to test/diagnose the OEM installed programming) to find faults/issues and leads to a list of know codes and sub codes as remedies to common problems that afflict Sprinters.
This is the proverbial MB codes list which lists the faults, usually with two or more sub codes that show if the measured parameter is:
1/ Too high and above the normal tolerance for this parameter/value.
2/ Too low and below the normal tolerance for this parameter/value.
3/ Implausible or missing....the data returned makes no sense or there is no data.
There are separate codes for each cylinder.....each injector....each glow plug.
This is all basic diagnostic testing, and while it may lead to a specific component in a specific cylinder, changing
that component does not always fix the problem.
The fact that the MB SDS diagnostics does not always lead directly to the real problem is pretty clear by the number
of times Sprinters are repaired at authorized dealers but the parts that are replaced either don't completely remedy the
problem, or the problem returns after a few miles.
Level 2 is the Xentry....I'm not IT (computer code) savy enough to tell you exactly what can be done with Xentry.
Perhaps johnschmit /GDE/one of our MB dealer technicians can elaborate on how the Level 2 Xentry works and what it's used for.
Then there is another level that is particularly dangerous in the wrong hands.
Level 3 is Vediamo 5.00.5 which has the ability to change data coding.
I may have level 2 (Xentry) and Level 3 (Vediamo reversed (I apologize in advance for my limited understanding of automotive
software) and again perhaps one of the software and coding experts in our community can provide a better description of the
functions of the 3 levels of programming available in the MB SDS factory systems and the MB SDS clone systems available from
several sources in China.
Bottom line here is that if you do not understand the intricacies of high level automotive systems control coding, having an
advanced system with the ability to go in and make changes has the potential to alter your Sprinter's control systems to the '
extent that your Sprinter is no longer functional.
All the time we see that folks want to "clear the codes", and want an OBDII diagnostic system with the ability to "clear the
code (s).
Unfortunately, if the "code (s)" have not brought your Sprinter to a complete stop, they are there for a reason, to tell you that
something is significantly wrong and that the built in "safeguards" (for you, your passengers, and your Sprinter) have been deployed.
Erasing/clearing the code (s) does nothing to correct the issue (s) that the code (s) (DTC (s) are indicating.
Ignoring or clearing them puts you, your passengers, and your Sprinter at risk.
Performance monitoring devices, like the Scan Gauge II/ Ultra Gauge EM/Bluetooth devices for your tablet or cell phone may have some ability to erase/clear
some DTC (s) but doing so can actually prevent the higher level systems from finding the real issue as the code (s) have been erased, unless the code was stored in the ECM memory.
Again, there are experts in Sprinter control systems in our community and they are encouraged to chime in here with better descriptions/suggestions/tips on
what OBDII devices are safe, and which higher level OBDII connected devices pose significant risks in un-informed hands without a clear understanding of
automotive computer based control systems and their associated diagnostics.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

sailquik

lukedog,
Many states have laws prohibiting the use of electronic devices while driving on their streets/roads.
Having a Bluetooth based performance monitoring system that gives lots of graphical information tends to draw the drivers attention to the graphics, and away from the road in front of the vehicle.
Simple devices, with a limited number of digital data streams, can distract the driver far less, and all of the data can be taken in with a quick glance.
IMHO a simple device, easy to program, that provides the data streams that are really important to driving a Sprinter or Sprinter based RV will give the driver the correct amount of information to make informed decisions on things like manual downshifts, while driving at speed, down the road, without providing the opportunities to look at cool graphics displays that can lead to distracted driving.
Hope this helps,
Roger

lukedog

Why Dogs Fly
lukedog,
Many states have laws prohibiting the use of electronic devices while driving on their streets/roads.
Having a Bluetooth based performance monitoring system that gives lots of graphical information tends to draw the drivers attention to the graphics, and away from the road in front of the vehicle.
Simple devices, with a limited number of digital data streams, can distract the driver far less, and all of the data can be taken in with a quick glance.
IMHO a simple device, easy to program, that provides the data streams that are really important to driving a Sprinter or Sprinter based RV will give the driver the correct amount of information to make informed decisions on things like manual downshifts, while driving at speed, down the road, without providing the opportunities to look at cool graphics displays that can lead to distracted driving.
Hope this helps,
Roger
You make a good point. Two reasons for my choice. I have seen negative comments on visibility. Easier to monitor my wife's driving habits. :) I will give it some more thought.

MeRob

I followed sailquik's advise ...
I finally realized that once I had an engine related problem...it was already too late for prevention. My goal had to be one of future intervention / prevention. i.e. an OBD Device

I just finished installing a Scan Gauge on my Sprinter. It's small but easily readable.
I chose to install ONLY the 3 Gauges that I thought that I needed to do the best for the operation of my Sprinter engine and my peace of mind. Those are... RPM and % Engine Load and IMAP. ( I disabled the rest of the gauges...I can always install more later) So this process can be as simple or as complicated as you want it. So far its great...everything works as advertised.
Rob...

Good. It's a really useful tool to learn to prevent problems. I've had one installed in my 2006 for several years now. You can get a good idea of mpg also once you calibrate it and enter the information when you stop for fuel.
You'll also want to monitor water temperature. This will give you an idea when your viscous clutch fan is coming on or if there is a problem. If it's not coming on when it's supposed to, that can lead to early transmission failure.

MeRob

Bluetooth Connection or hard-wired U Gauge? I choose hard wired. I didn't want the hassle of handling,storing or configuring anything else, let alone being dependant upon my smartphone's operating system, which has it's own unpredictable issues. I should add that I primarily use the U Gauge to monitor the % Engine Load and RPM while driving. However a larger tablet screen would certainly make it easier to make full use of the Gauge's capabilities. Excellent Gauge either way... Rob

Top Bottom