Sprinter 4x4 Wheels

V37

V37
There will likely be lots of discussion about wheels and tires for the Sprinter 4x4's. I ordered the Alloy Wheels with 235 65 16 tires. For me however, these don't look like a good match. The 6.5J x 16 Alloy Wheel seems to be the standard wheel for Cooper Mini's,...thus, a Sprinter on Mini wheels.

Wonder if the 20-inch AMG twin 5-spoke wheels on the G63 would fit of the Sprinter 4x4? The size might be a good visual match.

I'd expect there will be an explosion of new accessories when the Sprinter 4x4's go into full production. In the meantime, owners looking for the perfect accessories will have to pioneer various configurations.

Eric Experience

V37.
The 16inch wheels are correct for the sprinter. Driving of road you need the high profile tyres to reduce rim damage. The only change that makes sense is to increase the profile. If you increase rim diameter you are greatly reducing off road ability. Eric.

mtstpipier

I generally agree with Eric, although I think 17" would still be fine. The problem isn't the 16" as much as the 6.5" I ordered those 6.5J x 16 Alloys and with the Kumhos they look pretty weak. Yet they can't handle a 265/75-16 tire.

trz453

Agreed with the responses above that very large wheels with low profile tires basically means you can't drive off road anymore.

This of course is not a problem at all for G63 owners, whose primary concerns are appearing tough/intimidating AND advertising to the world that they have significant disposable income, simultaneously. :idunno:

V37, you might consider having the wheels either repainted or powdercoated black to match the tires.

Black wheels tend to blend in with the tires quite nicely, and are less likely to stand out as undersized, even when they are undersized in proportion to the rest of the vehicle. Compare the G-wagen in this pic
has the exact same wheels as this
(it also helps to have more aggressive tread patterns for the tires).

err

265/75-16's fit the stock wheels just fine. Plenty of folks running GY Duratracs and BFG AT's in that size on 2wd vans with both the alloy and steel wheels. They should look and perform well on a 4x4. As already stated, 20's bring nothing but compromise in this application. 17's could be fine if you could find a wheel you like in the correct drilling and offset.

mtstpipier

265/75-16's fit the stock wheels just fine. Plenty of folks running GY Duratracs and BFG AT's in that size on 2wd vans with both the alloy and steel wheels. They should look and perform well on a 4x4. As already stated, 20's bring nothing but compromise in this application. 17's could be fine if you could find a wheel you like in the correct drilling and offset.
Excellent news! All the websites suggest 7-8", but that's why we have a forum.

V37

V37
V37.
The 16inch wheels are correct for the sprinter. Driving of road you need the high profile tyres to reduce rim damage. The only change that makes sense is to increase the profile. If you increase rim diameter you are greatly reducing off road ability. Eric.
"Victoria Australia"...someone with Off-Road in their DNA. What would you suggest for increasing the profile?

V37

V37
A member here (can't find that post) put on some 265 70 17's which gave a different look to a 2x4 2015 4 265-70-17 7-5948EC824A9D_zpsrxrdqdh4.jpgSprinter

V37

V37
"I need a taller tire to to fit the wheel well from a looks perspective" - mtstpipier.

My build took a huge step towards reality today,...and so I dumped the Premium Appearance Package,...but kept: F46 Headlamp Cleaning system, and LG0 Bi-Xenon Headlamps.

Thus,...will be hoping to see how others consider the "looks perspective."

By the way mtstpipier,..that's a sweet looking ride you have there. I ordered the standard roof,...and plan on immediately getting a Sportsmobile penthouse (just my personal preference).

mtstpipier

Thanks V37. We were 50/50 on whether to get the high roof or not. I do like that Sportsmobile pop top. Hadn't thought of that. Shoot us photos when you get it.

So I can get the BFG KO2s in a 265/75-16 installed tomorrow on the stock alloy rims. Or I could order some 17" rims and go with the 265/70-17 tires. Same overall height, but perhaps safer or different feel. I did read through all the posts here on 265s on stock rims and it seems like you're right and no one's had a problem. Tons of Chevys have done the same with no issues unless towing heavy loads where they get some uneven wear.

Jchirchirillo

JChirchirillo
Agreed with the responses above that very large wheels with low profile tires basically means you can't drive off road anymore.

This of course is not a problem at all for G63 owners, whose primary concerns are appearing tough/intimidating AND advertising to the world that they have significant disposable income, simultaneously. :idunno:

V37, you might consider having the wheels either repainted or powdercoated black to match the tires.

Black wheels tend to blend in with the tires quite nicely, and are less likely to stand out as undersized, even when they are undersized in proportion to the rest of the vehicle. Compare the G-wagen in this pic
has the exact same wheels as this
(it also helps to have more aggressive tread patterns for the tires).
Good points!

V37

V37
Thanks V37. We were 50/50 on whether to get the high roof or not. I do like that Sportsmobile pop top. Hadn't thought of that. Shoot us photos when you get it.

So I can get the BFG KO2s in a 265/75-16 installed tomorrow on the stock alloy rims. Or I could order some 17" rims and go with the 265/70-17 tires. Same overall height, but perhaps safer or different feel. I did read through all the posts here on 265s on stock rims and it seems like you're right and no one's had a problem. Tons of Chevys have done the same with no issues unless towing heavy loads where they get some uneven wear.
From 235/65/16 to a 265/75/16,...wow,...what a difference.

put in the numbers, and click on visualizer

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

mtstpipier

Ha, that's a huge difference. My 'stock' tires were 245/75-16, so I'm only adding 1.15" to wheel diameter. Might still look small on the jacked up 4x4 rig. But the wife is dead set against anything real big, doesn't want to look like "something Mr T would drive". Had no idea she even knew about the A-Team!

err

Here is Geek's 2wd 144 highroof on 265 Duratracs

Couple more, showing the wheel well on a 2wd. I have a good friend with this setup, it looks great and seems like it will be reasonably balanced looking on a 4wd

Last edited:

V37

V37
Ha, that's a huge difference. My 'stock' tires were 245/75-16, so I'm only adding 1.15" to wheel diameter. Might still look small on the jacked up 4x4 rig. But the wife is dead set against anything real big, doesn't want to look like "something Mr T would drive". Had no idea she even knew about the A-Team!
I thought the stock tire with the Alloy Wheels was a 235/65/16.

Maybe Eric Experience's suggestion of 235/85/16 would get the height, without the Mr T bulk (and lower fuel mileage), by keeping the width at 235mm (9.25").

Another advantage to the 235/85/16 over something wider would be less bulge from the rim,...the more bulge (IMO) could translate to greater chance of bead separation in off road conditions. But I'm not an expert.

V37

V37
Here is Geek's 2wd 144 highroof on 265 Duratracs

Couple more, showing the wheel well on a 2wd. I have a good friend with this setup, it looks great and seems like it will be reasonably balanced looking on a 4wd

Awesome 265 duratrac pics. What is the complete size of these tires? What are the rims.

err

They are LT265/75-16/E Duratrac's. Best AT tire on the market for all-around wet and light offroad performance IMO.

The 235/85's you are considering. Tall skinny's are often squirmy on the highway, esp when used on heavier vehicles. Tire to tire will vary but you're likely to have a more planted feel with the 265's. I've run tall skinny's on an older landcruiser I had to keep the vintage look. They're cool looking but didn't do anything for highway handling.

Top Bottom