Festool/Tanos Systainer Van System

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I came across this interior system for work vans.
It's made by Tanos, the company that makes Systainers poularized by Festool
It's a modular system (imagine that) designed around the dimensions of systainers.

I'd imagine anyone with a sizeable investment in Festool (I think a CT22 qualifies you ;-) and work van would enjoy this system.

In addition it appears to be a no-drill system held in place with adjustable clamps and spacers. I'd imagine this would be ideal for anyone with a leased vehicle

Animation link

Installation link

Cheers
George

Attachments

SprinterUSA1

George,

Pretty sweet, finally a systems that can handle a full tool case. I would imagine it is pretty pricey, too. Just like those Festool -Tools.
Did you find an authorized dealer in the US?
I think I still prefer to build my own though.

SprinterUSA1

Pascal

Hi,
I use festools and i did my own rack for the tools. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I kept the template and I can build more of them.

Attachments

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Hi,
I use festools and i did my own rack for the tools. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I kept the template and I can build more of them.

6"x9" speaker's in the Bulkhead? Hmmmmmm....:hmmm:

Last edited:

Pascal

6"x9" speaker's in the Bulkhead? Hmmmmmm....:hmmm:
You have good eyes :lol:
I did a simple set up with four nice speakers, amp, head unit, ipod, 120v inverter, printer and my laptop. Build a center console between the front seats (so i can still slide long piece of wood in the cargo area 13" max i think) and sit the printer on top of it . But i guess this is off topic :thinking:

Attachments

insurroundsound

Hi,
Hi:

I noticed your racking system for your festool items. I'm planning on outfitting my sprinter with these cases. I think it would be a great idea. I like the modular system of the systainers. Was it very difficult to build your rack? What was your motivation in the design? Looks great!

insurroundsound

Pascal

Thank you "insurroundsound".

Before I made the rack, I used to get everything on the floor and it was a mess. Then i tripped over the mess few times and that was it :rant:. I empty everything, Changed all my tool boxes to the festool systainers. The most expensive was/is to get the systainers. Firs i wanted to get the metal cabinet from Festool, they are awesome and modular too. When i saw the price of them I :cry: and changed my mind. I made a template of the side wall of the van so i can get the correct curve. Then I started to do the layout of the systainer and see how many i can stack. It was a lot of try and errors before i got the right spacing and clearance so they stay in and are easy to remove. Then I got 4'x8' plywood sheet and outdoor carpet. The first time I cut the plywood and built the rack, then glued the carpet. this was taking too much time. Next, I cut the wood and clued the carpet before I cut the groove for the shelves and assemble the rack. This was so much easier and the finish was nicer too. I think between the drawing, thinking, construction, testing, it took me about two weeks and long hours. Since those picture, I added one more cabinet for the two miter saws and the festool vacuum, 8 foot level, dewalt stand for the miter saw.
Now I can load my material and have most of my tools with me, walk in and out get what i want and there is no mess. Also i did cut un opening into the wall of the cabin and made a consol. This way i can fit a ladder, trims or other long thing (up to 13') and close the door. I took pictures of what the systainer has inside and laminated them, then glued them in the front of each systainer so i know where my tools are.
I can feel the Van is heavier now but more comfortable too. It is a 3500 and empty it was a fairly bouncy ride. Now I have a smooth ride and even loaded like this i still get between 20 to 23.5 mpg.
It was worth the sweat, time and effort :bounce:

Ps: I made a set up for my small portable compressor with a systainer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCK7fmZTtTQ

Pascal.

insurroundsound

Pascal, the compressor idea is great! I'll definitely be in touch when time to build my Festool van wall. [Man, Festool takes a lot of my money!!...lol..and I really dont have that much!] I, like you, use my systainers to carry all sorts of non-Festool tools. Great idea about the pic on the front of the box as well. I had simply used a labeler on mine, but the pic adds more uniformity/similarity to the existing pic on the "true" Festool systainers. Good job!

Pascal

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately I do not have the template anymore. The cord is on a self winder. You can make a template using cardboard and then transfer it to a 1/4" MDF board and use it with a router to cut all the side of the boxes. If you want, you can go square and not follow the curve of the side panel of the sprinter. Take a systainer, add 1/2" side to side and 2" for the hight so you can tilt it. Also make a 3/4 edge at the bottom so it does not slide out on it's own.

Pascal

rnt80

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately I do not have the template anymore. The cord is on a self winder. You can make a template using cardboard and then transfer it to a 1/4" MDF board and use it with a router to cut all the side of the boxes. If you want, you can go square and not follow the curve of the side panel of the sprinter. Take a systainer, add 1/2" side to side and 2" for the hight so you can tilt it. Also make a 3/4 edge at the bottom so it does not slide out on it's own.

Pascal

Pascal,

The compressor in the systainer is great. I'd like to do something similar...well the same thing I guess. Would you be willing to either take some pictures of the mods you had to make to the compressor or at least describe them? Thanks for your time.

rnt80

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Festool Systainer Van systems
Being a large buyer of Festool machinery plus God knows how many Systainer's I have:hmmm:

Here is the latest acquisition
1/4' CE-RA-Set 37
Stack em Rack em
festo 015 (Custom) copy.jpg
Multi Systainer's
Combining Both Festool systainer's and Tanos Systainer's
All the colors of the rainbow are available in TANOS
festo 017 (Custom).JPG
festo 019 (Custom) copy.jpg
The set covers all extensions including a wobble head love that one:clapping:
festo 020 (Custom).JPG
Centrontec Torque long shaft Hex TX-15 TX-20 TX-25 TX-30
festo 021 (Custom) copy.jpg
Nice little box of TX variants ranging from TX-10/15/290/25/30
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi George I'm sure your more than aware Festo is unique in it's systainer system's since changed on the locking mechanisms for the boxes but adaptable to integrate with the older design as I have shown.
Festo has multiple Bias systems for machinery you name it they have it. Including the worlds best polishing systems for vehicles approved by Benz of course.:rad:
Bosch copies Festo with good products , but they just don't meet the stricter specifications or standards for both tolerances and smoothness of balance as Festo products.
in a nut shell Bosch is for the DIY set Festo is for the professional.
The down side affordability Yet Festo can last a lifetime Festo uses ABS plastics Bosch does not.
Besides there is something for everyone.
Cheers Richard .FES491921.jpg

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Actually the LBOXX is made by Sortimo.

Sortimo of course makes modular aluminum work-van systems, just as "tough" as the tanos system.
Daimler approved and of course crash tested.

Sortimo is actually an Automotive OEM and makes many sub assemblies for vehicle OEMs
http://www.sortimo.com/index.php?id=1&L=1

http://www.sortimo.com/Mercedes-Benz.63.0.html?&L=1

Don't diss what you don't know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_pSxyU9Tw8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dOI28LYfqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblJ3HfdT6I

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I honestly don't know how they compare in terms of price...

Http://www.systainerworld.com
It's not the price, but the quality and how the system works.
T-Lock is the new locking mechanics for Festo tools systainer's.
If a tool is in need of repair the complete box can be posted back to your nearest authorized repairer.
For example I recently had the main drive shaft clutch replaced on a RAS 180 polisher now 12 years old it was repaired and returned in 72 hours,
Not bad, try buying a quality tool in today's throw away DIY market and get them repaired after a decade of use.
The box's are almost indestructible, and protect the tool and it's groupings of accessories in the systainer systems. I have close to AU$ 75 thousand dollars worth of FESTOOL equipment, worth every penny spent.
Richard

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Rich, you are correct when it comes to the tools. Festool is in a different (higher) league than Bosch.

When it comes to the boxes, Tanos and Sortimo are equal in quality with Tanos focusing on integrating with the tools and Sortimo integrating with the vehicle storage system.

Both storage systems are equally high in quality.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom