All-Wheel Drive for MY15 US & Canada

Built Smarter

The Sprinter 4x4 was recently approved for the US & Canada by Daimler Management.

The All-Wheel Drive of the Sprinter 4x4 is based on the Mercedes-Benz 4ETS Electronic Traction System. The AWD is engaged with the engine running and with the vehicle stationary or at low speeds up to 10 km/h. It involves an electric motor engaging a spur-gear pair on the transfer case. In contrast to other systems of this type, the engage-able AWD in the Sprinter does not result in a rigid through-drive. Power is transmitted variably; all elements of the standard-equipment ADAPTIVE ESP, including ASR acceleration skid control, remain operational while the all-wheel drive is engaged. The AWD system is integrated into the Adaptive ESP.

Expect Q4 2014 launch as a MY15.

Don't ask me for pricing :p
This is extremely fresh news, that came about at a case study held a month ago. We have received no official documents, other than the information I posted above.
I expect no other news or gossip to trickle down on this subject until Summer 2014, but hopefully this is of interest to many of you. Fire up the rumor mill!

rb3232

The Sprinter 4x4 was recently approved for the US & Canada by Daimler Management.

The All-Wheel Drive of the Sprinter 4x4 is based on the Mercedes-Benz 4ETS Electronic Traction System. The AWD is engaged with the engine running and with the vehicle stationary or at low speeds up to 10 km/h. It involves an electric motor engaging a spur-gear pair on the transfer case. In contrast to other systems of this type, the engage-able AWD in the Sprinter does not result in a rigid through-drive. Power is transmitted variably; all elements of the standard-equipment ADAPTIVE ESP, including ASR acceleration skid control, remain operational while the all-wheel drive is engaged. The AWD system is integrated into the Adaptive ESP.

This is extremely fresh news, that came about at a case study held a month ago. We have received no official documents, other than the information I posted above.
I expect no other news or gossip to trickle down on this subject until Summer 2014, but hopefully this is of interest to many of you. Fire up the rumor mill!
It will come with an electric sliding door... lol

SpecIndustries

Link or pdf available?

Built Smarter

Anything to do with the Arctic Drive?
I doubt it.

The Arctic Drive was to showcase the Sprinters' capability in cold weather and icy roads without AWD. The spotlight being the Adaptive ESP's ability to negate the need for AWD on slippery surfaces.

My guess, at this point, is that they recognize the business / fleet opportunity with companies in oil exploration, surveying, mountain tour companies, etc.
Of course I think this way being in Calgary where potential fleet business in the oil patch demand AWD vehicles.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I have to say that i'll won't believe it until one rolls over my foot.
(OR if Ford or Fiat/Dodge bring out 4WD or AWD on one of their Sprinter-like beasties.
((Nissans don't count)))

And it's still only a brake-retarded AWD
(will they adjust the cruise control to permit automated sub-10mph driving? It would be more patient than i am...)

--dick

6cyclone6

it is true. no press release anytime soon. MY15. no pricing yet, but the early rumors are pretty close to what i have been told. the system is similar to the 163 chassis 4matic except it is a part time 4wd with a low range option. open diffs on both ends. about a 4" increase in ride height.

tidalboy

Has anyone seen/heard more about this?
I WANT to believe that this is true... but this thread is the only one that mentions anything about AWD coming in MY15.

Once bit, twice shy.
Hope it really happens. (finally)

ftldealer

Has anyone seen/heard more about this?
I WANT to believe that this is true... but this thread is the only one that mentions anything about AWD coming in MY15.

Once bit, twice shy.
Hope it really happens. (finally)
It's true (well, the part about us being told they'd be coming out in the fall of 2014). I was part of an AWD event this past spring near Detroit, although the ones there were 6 speed manual transmissions with the new 4 cylinder engines (we won't be seeing the manual transmissions- plan on the 7 speed automatics in the MY2014s as well). We're hoping to hear more in September at the annual Sales Manager Meeting in Charleston.

I've heard rumors about other models as well, and additional roll-outs from 2015 until 2020. Those are a definitely not set in stone, but if true, would give us some great product selections.

BlackHawk

Remind me again why the US market isn't capable off handling a manual transmission? I've always drove manual cars and trucks before my sprinter, and I miss the road feel and added confidence that the third pedal brings to the table when road conditions are poor.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Remind me again why the US market isn't capable off handling a manual transmission? I've always drove manual cars and trucks before my sprinter, and I miss the road feel and added confidence that the third pedal brings to the table when road conditions are poor.
They can not have LHM with a manual transmission. What good is a complicated computer system if it can not disable the vehicle?

I will believe all this talk when I see it from MB USA, until then speculation and another round of egg on my face when I tell friends "it's coming 2015" and it never shows up!!

tidalboy

You're not alone... I have "broken the big news" a few times to friends with great fanfare and greater disappointment.

Not this time. Though I'd be lying if I didn't say I was hopeful. Just quietly hopeful this time.

surlyoldbill

For us pragmatic people, it's an even longer wait.
Only a very wealthy person (or publicly funded department) buys a vehicle off the lot. I'll have to wait a couple years and buy a low mileage used one...for half the price.
Did I mention my van was $25k wil only 20k miles? I'll be looking for that type of sale again in about 3-4 years.

tidalboy

For us unrealistic very wealthy folk, we just need a reliable vehicle for work that actually works. If an AWD vehicle gets us to a job site safely and reliably to earn money... well as impractical as that concept sounds, we do it. Disappointingly, our customers don't like paying us as they wait a couple of years for van prices to drop. I need a better business model or more patient customers I guess.

david_42

I'd be happy with 5 hp hub motors in front for low-speed AWD, mostly trying to back up a hill on gravel. Haven't had a need for it otherwise.

Jim G

Yesterday, my brother was in Mercedes store here in Vancouver, BC dealing with a salesperson for a 2014 GLK. He got chatted up by the sales manager regarding the relative merits of gas and diesel models. The topic of Sprinters came up, as they will have the same 2.1L diesel as the GLK and the sales manager casually mentioned that next year the Sprinter would come with "four wheel drive". My bro didn't take much interest or get clarification on 4x4 versus awd.
Hopefully yours,
Jim

tidalboy

Had an hour to kill today and I was across the street from a Mercedes showroom with Sprinters in front. I went over to look at the 2014's and the fleet sales manager came out. We chatted. I asked about the AWD and he genuinely stared blankly back at me. He hadn't heard a thing. Just one dealership in Maine... but still... I was hopeful. Past tense.

Top Bottom