2001 313 cdi sprintshift gearbox oil change - can't find filler location

jksprint

I'm still searching for " the reservoir on the right side of the gearbox housing. It is held in place with a C clamp and two bolts" behind which the gear box filler is suppose to be located as stated in previous post . Anyone have any photos or diagrams of where this is located on the gearbox just cant find it or I'm completely blind !
thanks for help on this great site

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The filler bung is behind the gubbins on the outside of the transmission casing (nearside / right hand drive).

Partial disassembly of that reveals all!

jksprint

Hi Mean in Green - thanks for your reply just been under with a light once again searching for the elusive filler bung - the only things I can see on the nearside of the gearbox housing is hydraulic control unit or the hydraulic pump . Not sure what you mean by behind the gubbins ?:bow:

Oldfartt

This from memory as I have since sold my T1N.
On the right side (your passenger side ) near the rear of the gearbox you should see a cigar shaped tank about 8" long by about 3" dia. held on by a half saddle with two bolts. There may be a further bolt as well. Undo these bolts and swing the tank towards the rear, still with its hoses/pipes attached. There may also be an electrical plug to remove... not sure now. The point is that the filler hole is hidden behind the tank and cannot be seen without the above procedure.
The oil only needs replacing every 10 years or 300,000km unless work has been done on the gearbox. So if the oil has not been changed previously on your 2001 then it is certainly the right time to do it.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ross

PS. Only use the Mercedes spec oil for the replacement otherwise under cold conditions the gearbox may have difficulty changing gears at the right time.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Apology for not being as concise!

Upon launch in 2000 MB decreed Sprintshift 'boxes "sealed for life". I choose to replace the fluid every 100,000. Guess what? It never leaked a drop or came apart in ten years and over 800,000m.

Top Bottom