Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
fireball

Default Factory Alignment Issues

Seems some people are having issues with the alignment being off from the factory, I myself noticed the driver side outside tread is wearing way to fast. I have talked to my local Sprinter dealer and its going in for an alignment tomorrow under warranty.

What should I expect from this? I thought I read somewhere MB had a fix for this and not to set it to factory specs?

The tire at this point was moved to be a spare and it honestly doesnt have much life left, at only 9900 miles should MB be held responsible for replacing tires and fixing the alignment issue under warranty?
fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
auburnbuilder

Default Re: Factory Alignment Issues

I have a 2011 144 Passenger that has the same problem.
At only 10,000 miles the outside edge of the front tires are almost gone.
My old 2004 never did this.
I brought it back to dealer, they did an alignment, and charged me for it.
Hopefully the new alignment will stop this.
Miles will tell soon.
auburnbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
gazor

2008 - 82000km - cargo 3500, same issue from day one(bought it brand new)
going to book an appt at a local mercedes dealer to see if they can fix it.
local dodge unable to resolve the issue from day one.
There is slight steering wheel vibration at around 110 km/h and up.
gazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Sprinter Ottawa

This issue was discussed recently in a thread called "Camber Crash Bolts". In brief, I wrote that in Canada we have seen this problem and that MB Canada has been paying to have the problem corrected as long as it is brought to the dealers attention early, generally within 1 year of purchase. Normally the problem shows up within a few months depending on mileage and load on van. The problem is that the front wheel camber is set to allow for a heavy load on the front axle, if the van is not loaded heavily or loaded with more weight towards the back the front tires wear on the outside edges. This is why doing an alignment to original factory specs. doesn't work, MB Canada have supplied us with revised camber settings so that the front tires run flatter with less load. You may also be able to get some compensation for replacement tires, probably on a pro rata basis. Hope this helps.

Phil Brown
Star Motors of Ottawa
Sprinter Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
sprintguy

The issue of alignment , and outer edge tire wear is not a factory defect nor is it a blunder in any way. Like said already , the heavy positve camber angle is for proper load distrubution throughout the vehicle. The camber specs are based on Shock tube length and ride height. Most NAFTA vans have a pretty high ride height.

With all that said , The proper loading of the van is crucial in proper tire wear (most weight and mass as far foward as possible) . Then constant tire rotations are required to cut back on the wear(5-10K miles) even on the 3500 dual wheel trucks. Camber is adjustable even without the camber bolts, (I recommend you use the bolts) . Then lets throw into the mix a cheap crappy tire that wears out in 20k miles anyway. Note that if and when you do replace the tires you use a good (not cheapo depo ) tires and check the alignment yearly if the truck is used that much (especially inner city driving). again ROTATE ,ROTATE,ROTATE. Oh and proper pressure in the tires is required for good wear, check it every week (don't wait to the light comes on).
Curious Sprinter Tech (08-08-2012), flman (09-04-2012), PLUMMER (09-04-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
fireball

So what does this van load rating have to do with someone who never loads the van? I have a crew van and the back has seen nothing more than a mountain bike and a weeks worth of groceries? I do not use this as a commercial van.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote:
So what does this van load rating have to do with someone who never loads the van?
+1 ... and does the same apply to T1N vans?

--dick
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Sprinter Ottawa

Since most Sprinter cargo vans (incuding Crew) are used as commercial vehicles and are usually loaded quite heavily this is the camber angle setting that Mercedes have chosen to meet the needs of the majority of buyers. Who knows, maybe they will revise this in the future to a more moderate setting, then of course they run the risk of having front tires wear on the inside edge when heavily loaded. For the simple reason that one camber setting doesn't work for a van with a few hundred pounds in it and a van loaded with over 3000lbs Mercedes have been resetting camber angles on vans that are used with lighter loads and show excessive outside edge front tire wear at no charge to customer (in Canada anyway). As mentioned above, this is not due to defect or poor alignment from factory.

As far as T1N's go unfortunately we don't have enough experience with them to be able to answer that.
Sprinter Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
fireball

They said the toe was out..driver was out 10 minutes and passenger 5 minutes. Warranty was covered, loaner car given but nothing done about tires
Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
showkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
They said the toe was out..driver was out 10 minutes and passenger 5 minutes. Warranty was covered, loaner car given but nothing done about tires
Does the repair order have the camber reading (numbers) not a statement like "in spec"????