Heater control knob stiff

dpw

Hi,

My heater control knob binds when pointing at the 12 o'clock position - defrost. I can make make it turn with quite a lot of force. Is this a common problem? (one of the other sprinter I test drove had the same problem) It does not supply air to the defrost vents either.

Thanks
Douglas

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Douglas, are you talking about the vent control knob? If so, mine turns fine and I get air to the windshield. I just used it the other day.

cookie man

Hi,

My heater control knob binds when pointing at the 12 o'clock position - defrost. I can make make it turn with quite a lot of force. Is this a common problem? (one of the other sprinter I test drove had the same problem) It does not supply air to the defrost vents either.

Thanks
Douglas
we have the same problem on one of our sprinters its stuck at the 1 o'clock position.
cant get it to defrost properly.

I've got a very temperamental vent control knob as well. I find it very difficult to switch between positions as well ..... Though, the temperature knob moves very easily. Dunno .....:idunno:

tymbo

Mine was the same. The dealer replaced it under warranty

Hi,

Thanks
Douglas

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The temp control unit-which incorporates this mechanical vent control system, is relatively easy to pull from the dash. If the plastic bell cranks that control the flap cables are not broken you may be able to successfully lubricate the moving parts and reinstall. If you're out of warranty, it's worth a try. If you find broken parts you will have to replace the entire unit. Doktor A

I have a 2005, and have the same problem. In winter I can make to to the 12 oclock by slowly turning it counter clockwise I also have two lights out. Temp and fan lights.

How do you take it out?

Thanks

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Remove the gear lever gaiter and undo the screw behind there.

Remove the document clip, by sliding a knife in from the top and releasing the concealed clip.

Depending on what's installed there, remove either the tacho or the oddments slot underneath the pen holder and remove the two fixings in there.

Then, the centre console panel will unclip and come away.

You'll then be able to see the two retaining screws for the heater control panel.

Be very careful when you pull the heater control panel away from the dash, and don't try to move it very far out or you may damage the connecting cables. They will disconnect quite easily if you are careful.

The bulbs can be swines to change. You'll see the bases in the back of the control panel. Just twist them and they come away.

dpw

Yes Seek, it was the vent control knob I was refering too. It seemed odd that the other sprinter I test drove had the same issue so thought this might be a common thing. I'll report back once I pull it all apart! (carefully)

Douglas

dpw

Hi all,

I finally took it all apart. The main issue was a short white plastice control cable. I pulled the end off, dribbled a bit of tri-flo teflon lube in there and also twisted the wire 180 degrees. Then I also lubed the plastic hosing and it now works MUCH better.
For a quick fix, without taking the whole dash apart one could insert a straw from a lube bottle right above the vent knob (in mine there's a depression in the molded plastic) and squirt downwards. All the guts for the control knob are out and that should get it. Then, when you have time to take it all apart a quick wipe to clean up your mess.

Douglas

TV Sprinter

Same here - removed the assembly per the above directions (couple nuances, nothing major)

Lubed both cables. The black cable was my issue.

Heat for my feet again!!! :clapping:

What Next

It helps to turn off side air vents then all the air goes to defrost ,floor whatever indicated on dial. Will have to lube up mine, always been stiff.

maxzoom

2006 T1N 118" + 2006 T1N 140" + 2005 T1N 118"
I found a quick and easy way to fix this problem. Remove radio (will need radio removal tools) and plastic trim ring around the radio opening. Then you can see and have easy access to the lever mechanism. Spray lubricant. I used WD-40.

What Next

Thanks maxsoom that is my next project. I have the pins to pull radio. Had to defrost windshield today was really stiff.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
What type of bulb are they?
Don't know the part number or reference I'm afraid: they're tiny little bulbs, set in plastic bases which twist in or out of position. Took me a while to find a supplier, it's not a bulb your typical auto spares place seems to carry.

I do know there are some variations in the bulb length, i.e. there is another type of bulb which is very similar but longer. This type won't fit in the heater control panel.

Best suggestion I can make is to remove a failed one to use for comparison.

maxzoom

2006 T1N 118" + 2006 T1N 140" + 2005 T1N 118"
By removing the radio and trim I was able to lube that vent control knob. Now the knob turns freely any direction. But no matter what direction I turn it to I only get air coming out evenly to the floor, defrost, and vents at the same time . Is this the default broken setting?

What Next

I think you may have broke it. I removed the radio all I could see was one little cable the bellcrank was much further back . Mine goes to the 3 oclock postion and if I shut off the vents it gets a fair amount of air to the windshield OH well .

Top Bottom