Unity talk: CB, IB or MB? Stories and experiences

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
:rad:We are taking delivery of a new 2012 IB in early June. Tan exterior and sangria interior. We've been researching the Leisure Travel Vans ever since we had a Serenity pull into the site next to us at a campground in Cannon Beach OR almost a year ago. We finally got a dealer here in Oregon and got to actually see, touch and drive the Unity model and simply loved it! The walk around island bed is awesome and we love the fact that the bedroom closes off from the main cabin with a solid wood door. There's a nice computer station at the foot of the bed and there's his and her wardrobe closets, drawers, and overhead cabinets in the bedroom. A separate water closet with electric flush china toilet and a stainless steel sink with corian countertops, plus a fully separate walk in shower with skylight. And finally, a 22" flat screen LED TV in the bedroom.

The main cabin has corian countertops, stainless steel sink with a detachable faucet, slide-out pantry, storage galore in 7 overhead cabinets, a slide out 26" flat screen LED TV, Dometic fridge/freezer, 2 burner cooktop, microwave convection oven, under sink storage galore and 4 fully opening cabinet drawers. All of the wood in this rig is SOLID and overhead cabinets have double struts and are all lockable.

Plus... A residential skylight with shade, ceiling fan vent and LED lighting throughout. Ducted A/C and heat pump throughout the coach for climate control and a command center above the side door where you can control the thermostat, lower and raise the electric jacks for a solid and stable feel when parked, check all levels of water and so on. 60 cubic feet of outside storage and an outdoor entertainment center and electric awning. All this in a 24.5ft Mercedes Benz Sprinter Diesel!!! It's unbelievable!

We are trading in our beloved Trail Lite R-Vision Class B for our new baby. Can't wait to take it out on its maiden voyage!:rad:

Last edited:

historydogg

Hi PortlandRV, I was looking at the same model for the same reasons. If you don't mind me asking, what price did you pay for it out the door? Thanks

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
Hi PortlandRV, I was looking at the same model for the same reasons. If you don't mind me asking, what price did you pay for it out the door? Thanks
We are in Oregon, so no sales tax makes a BIG difference on a $100k+ RV! Let's just say that we will drive away for less than the MSRP. Since we have purchased the first LTV from this new Oregon dealer we did get a very nice deal. If you want to take the conversation off line I can be more specific.

We are also considering flying up to the factory in Canada and picking it up and taking the factory tour. This knocks $2500 in freight fees off of the price. You do pay $850 to have the coach all prepped and ready to roll. This includes a full tank of gas, propane, oil and everything else required for the 1500 mile trip back to Oregon. Should be nicer driving weather in mid June too.

historydogg

Hi Portland, I sent you a private e-m. Also, I wanted to know if you know what the CCC is for your Unity 24cb and if it will accommodate two 175lb adults, a 70lb dog, a 300lb motorcycle with a 75lb motorcycle carrier mounted on the hitch along with other basic supplies, in addition to the fuel, water, etc... being 80% full? For some reason it is awfully hard to find the CCC for the Unity and Serenity although you'd think getting the basic info for the cargo carrying capacity for these models would be a simple no brainer. Thanks

historydogg

OK, I finally got the answers to my questions from the sales manager at LTV. LTV calculates their CCC for the Unity at 461lbs and the Serenity at 396lbs. This is on top of them including all seat belts occupied; the Unity has 3 seatbelts and the Serenity 4 belts and having fuel, water and propane at 80% full. Don't ask me why but LTV assumes a seatbelted person weighs 156lbs. So this means the Unity with 3 seatbelted people weighing 156lbs=468lbs plus 461lbs means a true CCC of 929lbs for the Unity. The Serenity with 4 seatbelted people weighing 156lbs=624lbs plus 395lbs means a true CCC of 1019lbs.

LTV said the weights on average on the Unity front axle is 3543 lbs. and the rear 5835 lbs. The weights on average on the Serenity front axle is 3489 lbs and the rear 5847 lbs. The trailer hitch is rated at 500 lbs tongue and 5,000 lbs pull.

Hopefully this makes sense. A lot of work just to simply find out what the CCC is for the Unity and Serenity:laughing:

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
The unity IB actually has 4 seat belts. Driver, shotgun and 1 seat behind the driver and 1 behind shotgun. So you need to add another 156lbs to the ccc.

historydogg

My bad Portland. 3 seatbelts is actually for the Unity 24cb (corner bed). Did you look at the Winnebago View Profile IQ before deciding on the Unity IB? I wanted to like the View IQ with a queen walk-around but it felt too cramped in the living quarters, which is why I'm looking at a more open floorplan; either the Unity 24cb, the Serenity Freedom 11 cb, the Winnebago View 24j and possibly the Unity IB. Keep me updated on your experience with the Unity...pros/cons, handling, storage, gas mpg, everything working as it should, etc... Thanks

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I love my Serenity. It has more walk around space inside than the IB, but the trade off is the bathroom is small. Personally I would get the MB as it has the open feel AND the big bath, but if you spend the night somewhere you just pop down the bed from behind the sofa.

In the short run however I am not likely to change as the Serenity has the bed directly behind the driver so you can sleep while your partner drives, or in my case the dogs can sleep directly behind you. Other Sprinters the dogs tend to collect in the space between the two front seats. Lots of fighting for space. The bed behind the front seats is perfect. The bed in the back is the same Serta mattress that the Unity MB would have, so very comfortable, but it's 82" so I fit on the bed vs. the traditional 75" beds most RVs have.

Yeah, I would like to be able to make the bed by walking around it, and a computer table sounds nice but the IB seems REALLY cramped to me, putting all that stuff in and then me being 6'2". I think I just talked myself into the RV I already own.

-Randy

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
@historydogg - we did check out the Navion IQ also at the same show. Didn't care for the finish. Compared to the IB there was no comparison. Formica laminated countertops with exposed seams was kind of cheap looking compared to Corian in the IB. The fact that the back has to slide out to use the bed is a bit self defeating. No storage over the driver compartment either. We were standing in the IQ when a couple of people walked in and the iQ rocked like a boat. Unity is solid underfoot with the electric stabilizers.

@israndy - I might agree with the openness of the IB being a little more constricting than in others in the main cabin and galley. But it's just 2 of us and no pets... So we were quite comfortable. The fact that the bed in the murphy bed model sits right in the middle of the coach makes it difficult for 1 to sleep if the other isn't quite ready for bed. In the IB there's a solid door that separates the sleeping area from the main cabin, so I can kick back and watch the 26" TV if she's sawing logs. Also, the bed is always available. And... There's an additional bed for a guest. The fact that this coach has more storage space by far than any other 24' class B, and without a slide, is as Dan would say, "Unbelievable"! More interior storage and 60 cubic ft of exterior storage means that the floor is always clear of clutter, thereby making the available floor space more tolerable. I have to say that LTV took full advantage of utilizing every available inch in the IB. And finally, we can always take the 22" TV and slide it off the bedroom wall mount and slide it onto the outdoor entertainment center if we're feeling claustrophobic. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

historydogg

Thanks for the feedback. I just got a quote for a brand new Itasca Navion/View 24J (corner bed) for $84k from the factory with every option included. Is the Unity 24cb or Serenity that much better in quality to command a $30,000 premium over the View?

historydogg

I was just thinking that you can buy a brand new Mercedes 3500 spinter chassis cab for $35,000. So that means that anything you pay over $35k are for the 'house'. In your opinions is the house part of the Unity and/or Serenity worth the $75,000 you have to pay? Just seems like an awful lot of money when I look at it this way:thinking:.

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
I was just thinking that you can buy a brand new Mercedes 3500 spinter chassis cab for $35,000. So that means that anything you pay over $35k are for the 'house'. In your opinions is the house part of the Unity and/or Serenity worth the $75,000 you have to pay? Just seems like an awful lot of money when I look at it this way:thinking:.
Then don't look at it that way, LOL:smirk:

But really, you need to forget about the base sprinter that starts at $35k. Look at class B sprinter RV's as a category. Resell value on a class B is higher than any other class RV. We bought a used class B 2 years ago for $25.5k and got $25k for it 2 years later. The Mercedes diesel will demand higher resale value and depreciate less than other class B's due to the fuel economy. For example, compare diesel pusher class A's compared to gas Class A's in resell value. Big difference!

You're purchasing a second home, and the interest on the loan is tax deductible as a 2nd home. Not a Mercedes Sprinter with a box on it. Compare all Class B Mercedes Sprinters and then determine if the LTV is a good value. I for one believe that it is.

historydogg

Thanks Portland. I know you get what you pay for. Figures the model I like the best also has the highest price and gave me a little sticker shock. Since it seems like you did your homework, how about my other question;

"I just got a quote for a brand new Itasca Navion/View 24J (corner bed) for $84k from the factory with every option included. Is the Unity 24cb or Serenity that much better in quality to command a $30,000 premium over the View? "

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
Thanks Portland. I know you get what you pay for. Figures the model I like the best also has the highest price and gave me a little sticker shock. Since it seems like you did your homework, how about my other question;

"I just got a quote for a brand new Itasca Navion/View 24J (corner bed) for $84k from the factory with every option included. Is the Unity 24cb or Serenity that much better in quality to command a $30,000 premium over the View? "
If you got a 2012 Itasca Navion View 24J for $84k with "every option included" then I would say you got a pretty sweet deal. According to their website the base model is $98,367 before you add any options. I have a list of all of the available options on the 24J below.

The difference between $84K and what you can get a Unity for is not $30k, but more like $20k. And our Unity IB is fully loaded. The finish and fit of the LTV is noticeably better than the Winnebago, bar none. Corian countertops versus Formica laminate. Solid wood cabinetry versus composite wood. But $20k can buy you a lot of gas! So if you're happy with the Navion, and you're really getting a "fully loaded" coach for $84k then go for it.

2012 Navion View 24J:
Base MSRP $98,367* Base price does not include tax, title, license, delivery charges or optional features.
Optional Equipment
Stylized aluminum wheels
Pleated cab window blinds
Dash appliqué package
Sirius® Satellite Radio 6-month complimentary subscription, and iPod interface connector
RV Radio/Rearview Monitor System 6.5" LCD touch screen color monitor, CD player, weather band, remote, iPod/MP3 input, color rear camera w/one-way audio
Entertainment Center 32" LCD TV w/remote and rope lighting (front overhead) (24J)
Interior Upgrade Package
kitchen backsplash, removable cab carpet, refrigerator w/stainless steel façade insert (NA 24G), wood sink cover (NA 24G), sofa throw pillow, MCD American Duo® solar/blackout roller shades
Water filtration system (cold water)
19" LCD TV (24G)
Patio awning
Electric patio awning w/metal
wrap (full-body paint only) Exterior speakers w/remote
control extender
A/C heat pump
14,800 BTU roof-mounted high-efficiency air conditioner w/heat pump
3,600-watt Cummins Onan MicroQuietTM LP generator
Diesel generator prep kit 300-watt DC/AC inverter
Heated drainage system

historydogg

Yeah, the quote I got included all of that, the overcab entertainment center plus a diesel generator. I really need to see the Unity & Serenity in person so I can truly compare. It would be nice if the Unity & Serenity used pleated cab window blinds. Everything seems so Euro contemporary on these models except for the curtains. For the kind of money I'd spend, I'd really need to love it. I mean, if I was fairly content with the View 24j but in love with the Serenity or Unity, then I think it would be worth the additional $20k to be truly happy.

Eastbayview

2012 Unity MB
Hello all,

My first post in this forum. We have a 2012 Unity MB which we picked up last fall.
Have about 13,000kms on it so far and very happy with it.

I was on the Leisure Travel forum they started this spring until they decided to turf it. Too bad as it was really getting started. Is there anyone here that was on that forum?

Hopefully this thread will start to take off.

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
Hello all,

My first post in this forum. We have a 2012 Unity MB which we picked up last fall.
Have about 13,000kms on it so far and very happy with it.

I was on the Leisure Travel forum they started this spring until they decided to turf it. Too bad as it was really getting started. Is there anyone here that was on that forum?

Hopefully this thread will start to take off.
Hey 2whlrider! Welcome. Yeah... I was on the LTV forum also. So this is the new home I guess. We're looking forward to picking up our IB in less than 60 days. It goes on the assembly on April 30th and we already have the VIN #. Anything we should know as new Unity owners? We'll be driving it back the 1500 miles to Portland OR from Canada in early June.

Eastbayview

2012 Unity MB
Hey 2whlrider! Welcome. Yeah... I was on the LTV forum also. So this is the new home I guess. We're looking forward to picking up our IB in less than 60 days. It goes on the assembly on April 30th and we already have the VIN #. Anything we should know as new Unity owners? We'll be driving it back the 1500 miles to Portland OR from Canada in early June.
The factory tour is well worth it. We want to go on it again as I like to see how things are layed out under the covers.
We've had no problems so far. You'll really enjoy it. The build quality and materials used are very good. We just took ours out of winter storage. Just connected the battery and it fired right up with no charging after sitting since last October.
Will you be going to the factory rally in September? We will be there.

VaVet96

Glad to find this thread guys as my wife and I are looking hard at the LTV products and the Unity 24IB specifically, as well as the View Profile. We just visited RV World in Nokomis Florida a couple of weeks ago and they had the Unity Murphy Bed model. I love the design, but as so often happens, once you actually get inside one, the DW had reservations. Go figure. Anyway, they didn't have the IB. Had one "on the way" , but we were on vacation and it came after we had to get back home. Really looking forward to reading your updates as yours is built and when you actually get on the road Portland. Hope LTV takes good care of you!

Top Bottom