Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Erwin Haban
Erwin

Default Wheel Chair Lifts

All,

I am looking at purchasing a nice clean used 2007 Standard Roof 144" WB Sprinter for Wheel Chair Application for an adult son. What makes and models of Side Mount Wheel Chair Lifts are people using and happy with. Throughout the years I've owned the traditonal domestic full size vans with raised roofs and doorways. So, does anyone have the floor to door opening height and the floor to inside roof height, keeping in mind this van has rear air venting and I'm not sure the 65" that I hear is taking that venting into acount.

Thanks in advance,

Erwin
Erwin Haban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
BFargin1

Default Re: Wheel Chair Lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin Haban View Post
All,

What makes and models of Side Mount Wheel Chair Lifts are people using and happy with. ............

Interior head room?

Erwin
Erwin,
Greetings from TN. I have a 2011 Sprinter with a low roof and rear AC.

I installed a braun wheelchair lift (tri-fold) and it works well. The nice thing is that usually I don't need to fold the lift because the door opening is so wide that even with the lift blocking the doorway, there is room for most people to climb in the van.

Unless your son uses a huge power chair and/or is very tall he will have plenty of head room in a standard roof van even with the rear AC. I'm 6'4" tall and have no issues with head room in my van. I use a manual chair and I've seen how some power chairs really raise people up substantially so it could be an issue if he is tall and uses a large power chair. I just went out and measured my van and the door entry height is 59" and the head room in the van right under the rear AC venting is 60".

I hope this info helps.
Cheers,
brian
Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Erwin Haban
Erwin

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the conformation from a user. I made an accepted offer on a 2008 144" Mercedes Sprinter in Texas. I wanted the standard top, not raised. It's pretty much loaded and has the not-needed extra air conditioner and heat, but all the basics are there and I was after the 28,000 southern miles. So, at 5,000 per year usage, this should work good for 10 years. Since it has not seen a winter, I'll get it undercoated and rustproofed as soon as I get it here. The dimentions you gave me match what the dealer measured also. As compaired to our 1998 Dodge Conversion Van with the raised roof and door, I pick up an extra 2 3/4" clearance on the door height and inside height from what I have now. This should be good. The lift information is priceless. We have had 3 equiped vans over the 27 years and the minivan had a Braun, the GMC full size van had a Crow River and the latest, the 1998 Dodge has a Ricon. I like the improvements on the platforms folding up in 3 sections. The Crow River we had folded in on 2 sections and was a rattle trap.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Erwin
Erwin Haban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
slsbl77

The Sprinter does not need additional undercoating and rustproofing, there is a really good system already in place. Save the time and money.
Bob
2010 144"WB High Roof Cargo Van, Jet Black, Aluminum Wheels, Koni Rear Shocks, Dual Rear Springs, Auxiliary Battery, Overhead Storage Bin, Security Alarm, Waistline L track, V19 Cargo Pkg1, Lighting Pkg, Trailer Hitch Pkg, Dark Tinted Windows, Rear Door Windows with Wiper/Washers, Front Insulation, Sound 20, Heater Booster, Preset Idle Control. Factory extended warranty. First day 8/31/10.
slsbl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 4,750 Times in 3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsbl77 View Post
The Sprinter does not need additional undercoating and rustproofing, there is a really good system already in place. Save the time and money.
Bob
I agree. The undersides do seem to be OK. The money would be better spent on some good paint sealant/protectant. Especially important if it is Arctic White. FWIW. vic
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.
Don't expect much from me. I've forgotten much of what I once knew.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
sheaa

I have a 2011 144wb low roof with a Braun Under Vehicle Lift (UVL) fitted. Very nice lift as all the components are pretty much outside the vehicle, so there's nothing blocking any doorway or rear access.
sheaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
sheaa

Pics of the Braun UVL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (284.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (238.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (252.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
wildimaginations
Wild Imaginations

Does the wheelchair lift ever get bottomed out like going over a driveway bump or maybe a sharp decline down a hill? How much clearance is there to the ground?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
sheaa

So far I have not run into any problems with speed bumps and inclines. My house is on an incline and it cleared it fine. My is at the dealer at the moment so I can't do any measurements. Will send an update when I get the van back.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
sheaa

Got the van back from the dealer. So I have 6.5 inches of ground clearance under the lift.
The Following User Says Thank You to sheaa For This Useful Post:
wildimaginations (02-04-2012)