Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
superj7777

Default Transmission dipstick length?

Hi, I've been lurking around on this forum for a while now. Great resource! I just bought a 2006 2500 and so far love it.

My question is, can someone please tell me the length of the MB transmission dip stick? I bought one off fl-ebay that was listed as a genuine MB part, but clearly is not. It goes down the tube fine, but hangs out about 6". It's not getting hung on anything, becuase it clearly bottoms out, and comes up saturated in oil.

If anyone could just measure the distance from the end to the start of the ring/handle, I would greatly appreciate it:)

Thanks in advance!

-Jason
superj7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
talkinghorse43

Default Re: Transmission dipstick length?

Overall length is not important because the shoulder on the top of the plastic tip bottoms out on the valve body and the rest of the tip hangs down into the fluid. BTW, it should be checked in P and the level is sensitive to temperature. Searching here using the tool in the blue bar above will allow you to find out how to check tranny fluid temp and the relationship between that temp and target level.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
superj7777

I see...thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
RoadHobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinghorse43 View Post
Overall length is not important because the shoulder on the top of the plastic tip bottoms out on the valve body and the rest of the tip hangs down into the fluid. BTW, it should be checked in P and the level is sensitive to temperature. Searching here using the tool in the blue bar above will allow you to find out how to check tranny fluid temp and the relationship between that temp and target level.
Overall length may not be important but I measure mine anyway each time I check my transmission fluid. I have a 2006 NAFTA 3500 I-5 engine and my official MB dipstick
sticks out exactly 4 inches from the top of the oil fill tube to the top of the red handle.

I could care less about temperature and think that whole mumble jumble is only for the benefit of service technicians that can't take the time to drive the vehicle for 20 minutes to warm it up properly before checking the fluid level. Checking the fluid level on my Sprinter is no different
than checking the tranny on a Ford or Chevy. Take it for a drive to warm it up to operating temperature, park it on a level spot, put it in park with the engine running, put the dipstick in all the way, and if the fluid is full, it should read half way between the high and low marks on the dipstick.

It's as simple as that, and in my opinion is way more accurate than checking it cold and compensating for temperature. I pitty the poor customer who has his tranny serviced by a
Dodge/Sprinter technician who flunked math in highschool.

Darrell
RoadHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
talkinghorse43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHobo View Post
Take it for a drive to warm it up to operating temperature, park it on a level spot, put it in park with the engine running, put the dipstick in all the way, and if the fluid is full, it should read half way between the high and low marks on the dipstick.
I recently checked mine and found that the fluid temp was 165F. At that temp, the level target is 55 mm, which is the top mark on my MB dipstick.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
pdxh2o

I assume y'all have done the install of the dipstick kit. Did/do you also change your fluids yourselves ? How much hassle is it and did you also do Dr. A's mod ? Thinking about all this as my service interval approaches...thanks !
pdxh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
General Disarray
2012 NCV3 170" Hightop

sikwan posted a diagram of the OEM tranny dipstick in this thread, and apparently it's 42.5" of snake, and 3" of plastic tip.

I just bought one of those same dipsticks off of ebay for $40, but haven't used it. So the stick doesn't catch at the end of the tube, but goes all the way into the pan? Did you have oil on the snake too? I guess maybe you could mark it at 42.5", right?
General Disarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
talkinghorse43

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Disarray View Post
sikwan posted a diagram of the OEM tranny dipstick in this thread, and apparently it's 42.5" of snake, and 3" of plastic tip.

I just bought one of those same dipsticks off of ebay for $40, but haven't used it. So the stick doesn't catch at the end of the tube, but goes all the way into the pan? Did you have oil on the snake too? I guess maybe you could mark it at 42.5", right?
A shoulder (larger diameter than the measuring part of the tip) on the top of the plastic tip "catches" in a narrow place as the tip passes through the valve body. The measuring part of the tip hangs down into the fluid in the pan. No need to worry about how much sticks out, just make sure it's fully inserted.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,816 Posts

The factory tool has a shoulder that will not allow the tip to bend against the bottom of the pan.

I own the factory dipstick tool. I inserted it into the dipstick tube. I put a piece of tape at the line where the tool stops, right at the top of the dipstick tube on my van.

The distance is 44 and 3/4 inches from that piece of tape to the tip.

This tape allowed me to discover that another forum member had a burr in the dipstick tube which prevented the tip from getting into the transmission fluid and properly measuring his ATF level.

What problem are you trying to solve?

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdcaples For This Useful Post:
KE2348 (07-07-2014)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
superj7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
The factory tool has a shoulder that will not allow the tip to bend against the bottom of the pan.

I own the factory dipstick tool. I inserted it into the dipstick tube. I put a piece of tape at the line where the tool stops, right at the top of the dipstick tube on my van.

The distance is 44 and 3/4 inches from that piece of tape to the tip.

This tape allowed me to discover that another forum member had a burr in the dipstick tube which prevented the tip from getting into the transmission fluid and properly measuring his ATF level.

What problem are you trying to solve?

-Jon
Thanks for the info! That is the same distance I'm getting when I insert it all the way in.

Now I realize I really do have a bigger problem. I followed the step by step instructions on changing the trans. oil on my 06' freightliner 2500, had no problems.

Drained 7.7 qts of fluid out, including the torq convertor. Refilled with exactly 7.7 qts. When I insert the dipstick, fluid is about 1/4" PAST the highest mark. I can't figure out how I could have possibly overfilled it this much?

Any ideas? I thought I must have been inserting the stick to far, but I guess not.