Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
kmessinger

Location: East of San Francisco, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Default Re: Engine Light on with code P0064

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukepilot View Post
Keith, I'm in the South Bay and I have a code scanner that reads/clears MB codes and performs tests. It works well on my NCV3. Let me know if you want to meet and I can scan your Sprinter.
Thanks. I sent you an email.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #12
MellowYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
Diesel.
Well then that code disc is no good. Diesels don't have heated oxygen sensors.

More then likely an incorrect code number given by an aftermarket scanner. I found working at a GM dealer that when the customers would use an aftermarket scanner to pull their own codes, they rarely matched what was actually in the ECM
MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
NBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukepilot View Post
I have a code scanner that reads/clears MB codes and performs tests.
What exactly do you have?
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
piper1
Resident Oil Nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
Well then that code disc is no good. Diesels don't have heated oxygen sensors.
Actually Mellow.....a diesel Sprinter does have O2 sensors. MB has a very different approach to emission system design than GM.....they use the O2 sensor to see if all the other stuff is doing it's job and will adjust things to get what is stored in the ECM as the "correct" O2 content in the exhaust. It is why a lot of the usual diesel emission defeats don't work on a Sprinter. I was gobsmacked when crawling under my Sprinter for the first time that I saw it there.
I had a.....2008 NCV3 (badged as Freightliner) 170wb ext body 6 foot roof. 12 feet for cargo, 42 inch bunk sealed off from the back, battery powered A/C and 120 v power and Air Tabs! Flettner Roof Vent....but it's gone.

298,000 k on the clock (06/22/11). Valvoline SynPower MST, Shell ATF134

Now driving a CargoMax 600.
piper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #15
dukepilot
Custom Spooling USA

Launch Diagun, it scans various drive, chassis, body modules on my 2008 NCV3 Sprinter. It is a wireless bluetooth OBD2 scanner/diagnostic tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB View Post
What exactly do you have?
2008 144" NCV3 HiTop, 3.0 CRD OM642, Performance/Emissions Tune by CustomSpooling, Progressive Water/Methanol Injection, 3.92 Axle, Koni Shocks, 235/85-16 Cooper S/T Maxx Tires, Kicker Speakers/10" Sub Woofer/Boss 800 watt amp

If it causes trouble, delete it! If you want improved reliability, performance and economy, get a Customized Tune for your Sprinter! Contact peter@customspooling.com or go to www.customspooling.com and visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/customspoolingusa
dukepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #16
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 4,917 Times in 3,269 Posts

Quote:

Diesels don't have heated oxygen sensors.
That blanket statement isn't true about the T1N MB design O2 sensors. I can't say for certain whether they use a similar design on the NCV3's, but I suspect they would not change their basic engineering.

105OxygenSensor.jpg

106OxygenSensorNotes.jpg

107OxygenSensor.jpg

108OxygenSensor.jpg

109OxygenSensor.jpg
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.
Don't expect much from me. I've forgotten much of what I once knew.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 08-23-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #17
MellowYellow

Hmm.. live and learn. All diesels with DPF have o2 sensors, and It seems the T1N's as well.

It was the heated part that threw me off. GM, Cat, Cummins all just call them o2 sensors. I've only seen them heated o2 sensors in a gas engine application.
MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #18
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 4,917 Times in 3,269 Posts

Quote:
Hmm.. live and learn.

I never make misteaks. Just skip the first post in this thread if you go to it. vic

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7328
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.
Don't expect much from me. I've forgotten much of what I once knew.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #19
kmessinger

Location: East of San Francisco, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

dukepilot and I met today to look at my codes. Actually I just had one code (Scangauge P0064) but two warning lights, the glow plug and the check engine.

I get there and we have coffee and go out to my Sprinter . . . (dramatic pause, drum roll, rim shot) . . . there are no warning lights. They have been on since 8/20 except of course the glow plug light would go out after a few minutes. And yet sometime between yesterday and the parking lot at Starbucks they cleared.

The only stored code Peter showed was a 2134-04 Cylinder Tube Glow Plug Open Circuit. Nothing about the O2 sensor. Nada. He cleared the code that was in the history. I took the bus around the block and nothing lit up. Home now and everything is copacetic.

Go figure.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #20
dukepilot
Custom Spooling USA

Well, I guess we can keep our fingers crossed! It was nice meeting you and your Sprinter today

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
dukepilot and I met today to look at my codes. Actually I just had one code (Scangauge P0064) but two warning lights, the glow plug and the check engine.

I get there and we have coffee and go out to my Sprinter . . . (dramatic pause, drum roll, rim shot) . . . there are no warning lights. They have been on since 8/20 except of course the glow plug light would go out after a few minutes. And yet sometime between yesterday and the parking lot at Starbucks they cleared.

The only stored code Peter showed was a 2134-04 Cylinder Tube Glow Plug Open Circuit. Nothing about the O2 sensor. Nada. He cleared the code that was in the history. I took the bus around the block and nothing lit up. Home now and everything is copacetic.

Go figure.
2008 144" NCV3 HiTop, 3.0 CRD OM642, Performance/Emissions Tune by CustomSpooling, Progressive Water/Methanol Injection, 3.92 Axle, Koni Shocks, 235/85-16 Cooper S/T Maxx Tires, Kicker Speakers/10" Sub Woofer/Boss 800 watt amp

If it causes trouble, delete it! If you want improved reliability, performance and economy, get a Customized Tune for your Sprinter! Contact peter@customspooling.com or go to www.customspooling.com and visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/customspoolingusa
dukepilot is offline   Reply With Quote