HELP! Looking at 576 mi. tow in BC

wayneskid

So we (me, wife, dog) are In Dawson Creek, 1700 miles into an adventure from Anchorage to the Pac NW and Mountain States when this issue happened. Yesterday, running 60 mph in cruise control, start up incline and the speed just bogs down to around 40 and the trans. doesn't downshiift. Parked for about an hr. and started off again. I ran fine the rest of the day, up some fairly steep hills, no problem. Today the same thing happened. Even an easy start from stop, I can get it going to say 30 and put the pedal to the floor and it will get up 40 or so reluctantly; put the pedal to the floor and it will accelerate slowly but no downshift. No messages displayed, no CEL. Called MB and they want to tow me to the nearest Sprinter certified dealer, Zimer Autosports in Kamloops. 576 miles from here! The tow guy came by tonight to check things out; can't pick us up until noon tomorrow and it will be at least a 12 hr. tow. I pay up front with reimbursement from my servicing dealer. Yikes! Any ideas or anyone know anything about Zimer?

TIA,
Wayne

AlbertaBear

I'm in your quadrant of the world, but still really far away.

Other will likely chime in, but sound like the limp home mode cicked in.

I'd have a hard time in the cab of a tow truck, some are smart doublecab, but some not.

This will take you somewhere around 12 hours + of driving.

My own 07 had the limp home mode for hundreds of miles after I got mine (used).

In the end I did not even go to the dealeship, these things have a way of resetting them selves.

Will you for sure be reimbursed ? this bill is going to be steep.

All the best.

macsprinter

Had the same problem on a trip to Oregon from New England. EGR! Made it back with many stops. 576mi should be no problem. When problem starts, shut off and restart until it stops you the next time. Worked for us!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Possibly a split intake hose? (thus no turbo boost when it wants it most)

If by "no downshift" you mean that tapping the shift handle does not cause a downshift, then that could be Limp Home Mode (but you'd expect a CEL)
If you simply mean that the automatic transmission is not downshifting on its own, then it may still be the intake hoses.

Limp Home Mode has two facets: when it first happens, the transmission stays in the gear it was at the moment.
If you shift to N/P/R, and then back to Drive, it would then only select 2nd gear and stay there.
Watching the RPM and comparing it to known RPMs at known speeds can help verify that.
A ScanGauge (or similar) can help detect split hoses by reporting the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP).

good luck
--dick

wayneskid

Driving to the dealer? This was my original inclination but MB Roadside assistance thought it should be towed and I'm reluctant to go against their call. Given that the tow they arranged has only one passenger seat for my wife and I (yes I told them two passengers) I may call them and pitch doing the drive. Yes, this will be a costly tow but MB says I will be reimbursed. This an evolving fiasco; I'll post the outcome.

Anyone at all know anything about Zimer Autosports?
w

wayneskid

Possibly a split intake hose? (thus no turbo boost when it wants it most)

If by "no downshift" you mean that tapping the shift handle does not cause a downshift, then that could be Limp Home Mode (but you'd expect a CEL)
If you simply mean that the automatic transmission is not downshifting on its own, then it may still be the intake hoses.

Limp Home Mode has two facets: when it first happens, the transmission stays in the gear it was at the moment.
If you shift to N/P/R, and then back to Drive, it would then only select 2nd gear and stay there.
Watching the RPM and comparing it to known RPMs at known speeds can help verify that.
A ScanGauge (or similar) can help detect split hoses by reporting the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP).

good luck
--dick
It will downshift if I do it manually with the shifter. The MB folks claim it couldn't be a turbo boost issue or bad fuel or it would definitely show a CEL. Also, since the problem seems to be related to temperature, I'm guessing it's not a split boost hose. I don't think it's in LHM but maybe I can double check. I plan to call Zimer in a few minutes to discuss this with them. Then I may call MB and see if I can convince them to let me drive.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
It's hard to diagnose these things over the web.... I can't tell you to drive or not to drive....

As a consolation prize, here are my postings from not too long ago, when I experienced similar symptoms (topping out at 30-40 miles per hour)

First noticed driving issue:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8337

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Replacement:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11879

My check engine light has not lit up on me (outside of the start up/instrument cluster self test) on me. I'm the first and only owner of my 2007 Sprinter. Personally, think an EGR failure should light the check engine light.... the only way I had a clue is because I own StarMOBILE, the Chrysler tool used in 2007 for 2007 Sprinters (and other "post DRB-III" vehicles).

-Jon

PS: in one (or both) of the above threads, I mention several times that EGR system failure doesn't light up the check engine light... I just re-skimmed those threads.... things that are in common:

1) can't get above 40 mph
2) fixed (originally) by stop/start cycle (and 7/11 coffee in my hand)
3) eventually start/stop didn't fix the problem for me; coffee, while associated with one instance, was not present during subsequent events, ergo coffee was not a material remediation condition

hope this helps

Last edited:

kendall69

Find the split in the hose (left or right hose up front ) and duct tape it and just drive it to the dealer......or have a hose fed ex'd to you for a full replacement.

wayneskid

Fixed after 520 mi. tow in BC

This has been a real learning experience for me. Short story is it was the driver side turbo hose. There was a very small crack in the hose near the connection fitting. The dealer in Kamloops BC didn't have the part but I did! It was one of 5 parts I bought to bring along on the trip!

The symptom (no downshift unless forced) would in fact "reset" itself each time I shut down the engine and restarted. Until the CEL came on. At that point MB Roadside Assistance strongly "suggested" the tow. Side note: although I told them the wrecker would need to accommodate 2 adults, there was only one extra seat. My wife rode for 520 miles on the center console with a folded up sleeping bag for padding. The tow was $2400 which I had to front because we were in Canada. Once we get home, I'll be working on MB for reimbursement for the tow plus replacement of my part and cost of repair for some minor damage done during the tow.

My initial gut feeling was that this was a boost problem but the MB supervisor swore that if it was a boost or fuel problem I would have a CEL. Obviously not true as the CEL didn't come on until the 3rd day of the symptom. Had I known, I would have tried to fix it myself.

Like I said, this was a major learning experience. It all came out OK in the end, the dealer in Kamloops (Zimmer Autosports) was very nice to me. They remounted the rear view camera which got knocked loose during the tow and gave me a near detail grade wash job. It took them a bit to sort things out with MB but there was no out of pocket cost to me other than the tow.

Interestingly, in spite of this experience we both still love this vehicle. We are not in Idaho with 3600 miles (excluding the 520 mile tow :smilewink:)behind us and this thing is a dream to drive and our mileage was over 20 MPG for some tanks. (I'll post the trip average once we get home) Also, the Airstream conversion bits worked perfectly for us. This rig would not be for everyone but for us and the way we like to do things it was perfect.

Wayne

Last edited:

sailquik

wayneskid,
Glad to hear you are back on the road and enjoying your Sprinter/Airstream RV.
As was suggested a few times during your "saga", a simple, easy to install, Scan Gauge
II could have prevented the tow (and the tow damage) and put you back on your way
the next day (especially since you had the new turbo hose onboard).
A fast check of the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) as suggested, would have very quickly
identified the issue.
Also a quick generic scan for DTC codes may have pulled up an "insufficient boost" code
which would have further identified the problem area.
At < $170 the Scan Gauge II is "cheap insurance" to help identify issues that can easily
be remedied with a new part or a patch )on the burst hose) as an interim fix to get you
back on the road.
No, I am not selling SGII's!
I've been there, and done that with "on the road"/"miles from anywhere" issues in a number of
vehicles I've owned over the years, and since MB decided to keep Sprinter drivers "out of the loop"
as far as gauges to identify simple issues like insufficient boost, it makes sense to add
a device that puts you back in the loop.
Sure hope MB pays up on the $2400 tow, and I think your "adventure" demonstrates that even the
MB road service engineers cannot reliably diagnose these issues from afar, without adequate engine
performance data (which the Scan Gauge II and similar devices can supply).
Had you told the MB engineer that your turbo boost would not go above say 22 PSIA, I'll bet that
he/she would have suggested looking at the turbo hoses.
AND, the SGII may have been worthwhile in helping you to downshift manually and earlier
to keep the boost down at a level that would not have split the hose in the first place.
Roger

wayneskid

Roger,
You are correct; I won't be taking another trip without a SGII or something better. I'm now in Oregon with 4100 miles. No more problems. I'm hoping I can finish this trip with a smile on my face.

By the way, does it seem odd to anyone other than me that MB hasn't issued a recall for this? The solution to this should be quite simple to engineer.
Wayne

Last edited:

ben322

MB does have an updated hose with more of a curve to it. When mine failed, Hagerstown Freightliner replaced it with the updated part under warranty.

I still keep the Riordanco hose end as my backup which I used to replace the original when it split.

wayneskid

Roger,
I now have a SGII connected. It was interesting watching some of the gauges on my drive today. I dare this boost failure to reoccur! :tongue:
Woops, I better keep my mouth shut until I get a replacement for the lower hose.
Wayne

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Roger,
<snip>
By the way, does it seem odd to anyone other than me that MB hasn't issued a recall for this? The solution to this should be quite simple to engineer.
Wayne
For 2007-2009 Sprinters, the recall responsibility is on Chrysler, not Daimler or its licensee, MB. That's why I hate shell companies. They're just a legal loop hole to avoid paying up for a mistake.

-Jon

sailquik

Hi Wayneskid,
Glad to hear you are now "prepared".
What data points are you reading?
Of course, with your recent saga, I'm sure you are looking at
MAP (turbo boost pressure).
What else?
Let us know if watching your ScanGauge II changes how you
drive your Sprinter, OK.
Also, did you have any trouble setting up the SGII in your Sprinter,
other than the fact you have to leave the flap hanigng off the
fuse box and OBD-II port?
I've acutally taken a hot knife and cut out a clearance hole so
the OBD-II connector and wire can feed out of the plastic flap
with the flap locked in normal position.
Might make a little drawing that could be glued onto the flap with
the cut lines for clearance holes.
Roger

showkey

Hi Wayneskid,
Roger

Unclipping the OBD connector from the bracket on the car is an easy fix for the door clearance:thumbup:

wayneskid

Hi Wayneskid,
Glad to hear you are now "prepared".
What data points are you reading?
Of course, with your recent saga, I'm sure you are looking at
MAP (turbo boost pressure).
What else?
Let us know if watching your ScanGauge II changes how you
drive your Sprinter, OK.
I've acutally taken a hot knife and cut out a clearance hole so
the OBD-II connector and wire can feed out of the plastic flap
with the flap locked in normal position.
Might make a little drawing that could be glued onto the flap with
the cut lines for clearance holes.
Roger
Roger,

Sorry if this is a duplicate; I'm using a strange PC.
Connect was plug n play; just wait for the "connecting" dance to complete and you're done.
I'm still playing with this but after determining that I didn't need MPH and RPM (available on instrument cluster) I settled on MAP, LOD, intake air temp, water temp. I was interested in temps as it was mid 90s and I was pulling some steep grades. So the implication is that yes, I think this could alter the way I drive. I need to come up with a good mount and solution to the presently dangling door.

I'm of to see Pearson MB in Boise, ID to see if they have their act together. They have a very good rep as an MB dealer but are brand new to Sprinters.
Wayne

Top Bottom