Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
John 3:16

Default Re: Moving mountains with a mustard seed - Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by david klair View Post
John,

Very nice work! It looks like a lot of planning, hard work, and maybe even a touch of divine inspiration

You have a lot of good ideas built in already. I see one thing I would change though, and have an idea you may like. The photos show cardboard prototypes in the windows that provide a good amount of privacy and allow plenty of daylight in as well as letting me look out when needed. They can be fully closed also to keep the sun out when needed.

The folding idea works great for privacy but I have found that I never have to completely close the window cover because no one under 7' tall can see in there, and I really like the light.

I have since painted the cardboard black and you can hardly see them now.

What I am still trying to figure out is the best material that I can use for the permanent covers that will also be a good radiant barrier...and still be black, because that looks the best.
To: DAVID KLAIR,

By the way, where did you get that awesome roof rack? I love it!

Thanks
John 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
david klair

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 3:16 View Post
To: DAVID KLAIR,

By the way, where did you get that awesome roof rack? I love it!

Thanks
John,

Sorry about that window misunderstanding, I just assumed the rear windows were covered for privacy. I guess I missed the crew van memo.

I made the roof rack. In my write up I have some details about its fabrication. I would be happy to provide more info if you're interested.
david klair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 AM   #13

Quote:
John,

Sorry about that window misunderstanding, I just assumed the rear windows were covered for privacy. I guess I missed the crew van memo.

I made the roof rack. In my write up I have some details about its fabrication. I would be happy to provide more info if you're interested.
I looked up your post on the roof rack. Very nice and innovative adaptation.

Thank you!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
BillWV
Schloss auf Rädern

Quote:
John,

Yes, do tell. I'm pondering the design of a roof rack and would love to hear the details.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
danelgran

John-

That looks freaking awesome!!!! Where have you driven it to so far?? Just curious...
danelgran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danelgran For This Useful Post:
John 3:16 (07-23-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxextz View Post
very neat and nice pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danelgran View Post
John-

That looks freaking awesome!!!! Where have you driven it to so far?? Just curious...
The maiden voyage or shakedown tour was from South New Jersey to St. Augustine, FL. We took the Cape May ferry, Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel then traveled down the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Stops in Kitty Hawk, NC, Myrtle Beach, NC, and Savannah, GA made the trip more interesting than just going down I95. On the way back home we took the Blue Ridge mountain route and camped in Shenandoah National Park. We took plenty of time to enjoy the trip and the Sprinter performed excellently. The van rode more comfortably than expected. Average fuel economy was @ 21.5 mpg.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
wookie_73

Hi nice work with the conversion.
I was looking at you rear camera. What is you field of view like with the camera positioned by the number plate?
I want to fit a camera to my Sprinter but as yet haven’t decided on a make or fitment position.

Cheers Dave
wookie_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie_73 View Post
Hi nice work with the conversion.
I was looking at you rear camera. What is you field of view like with the camera positioned by the number plate?
I want to fit a camera to my Sprinter but as yet haven’t decided on a make or fitment position.

Cheers Dave
I had the same concern when I was installing it. It really isn't that far off center when you consider that I mounted it to the far right side (facing the license plate) of the trim that overhangs the license plate. The field of view is fine. I can even see the step that I put on the hitch when I'm backing up.
The Following User Says Thank You to John 3:16 For This Useful Post:
wookie_73 (07-25-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #19
BillWV
Schloss auf Rädern

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 3:16 View Post
I see the speakers, but where are the speaker wires? Did you fish them through the exising loom? If so, how difficult was it?
The Following User Says Thank You to BillWV For This Useful Post:
josher (05-03-2012)
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWV View Post
I see the speakers, but where are the speaker wires? Did you fish them through the exising loom? If so, how difficult was it?
Yes, I fished it through the existing loom. The trick is to peel the rubber from the flexible conduit from the hard plastic attachment grommet. Then you will have to carefully remove the plastic grommet from the opening (this is the hardest part) and re-assemble it to the flexible rubber conduit. Once you have everything opened up, it is easy to fish the wires through. Putting the flexible conduit back into the door and body is easy. You just push the ends in until they "snap". Do not try to fish the wires through while the flexible conduit is in place. You'll just spend a lot of time becoming frustrated. Just take extra care when removing the plastic grommets as they are brittle and can chip or break. I actual fabricated a bent piece of metal to help me release the tabs that hold the plastic grommet in place. Hope this helps, good luck.