Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
jotunheim

Default Operating Cost per Mile

I have not been able to find a very good source to find an operating cost per mile for the NCV3 based Sprinters. Anyone have a spreadsheet that allows default assumptions to be in place, and then adjust for mileage and fuel price to get a general operating cost per mile?

We operate a fleet of 5 trucks and am trying to figure out what to charge customers per mile or zone, and at what point to impose a fuel surcharge if fuel rises rapidly, such as now when we are not able to adjust contracts fast enough.

Edmunds had one a few years ago, but I think it was pulled as I cannot find it anymore. At the time, the 2007 or 2008 Sprinters were at about $0.73 cpm to operate if you include vehicle cost, depreciation, insurance, maintenance, opportunity cost, etc.

If it is any help, we run the 3500 144" series trucks..

Thanks!

Jason
jotunheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
hkpierce

Default Re: Operating Cost per Mile

There is a lot of software available on the internet for that. Further, it is not difficult to create one of your own with any spread sheet. Frieghtliner used to post some in the days when diesel was cheap (2002) - I can't find that one that used to be here: http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...ht=spreadsheet

In 2004 the posted a second one that looks like this:

Capture.JPG

which was even more primative than the first one.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hkpierce For This Useful Post:
jotunheim (03-10-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
robertgrosz
Soapchef

Just my 2 cents worth. We run 3 shuttles, my van being a 06 2500. We do 350-400 miles a day more or less and average about 23.5 miles per gallon diesel. One year is about 120,000 miles, and we averaged about $100 a week in normal maintenance. 120,000 miles = $5200 in repairs, tires, etc. alternators (4x) etc... At least those are the hard costs, your insurance and fuel will vary, but that is pretty close.

I also have a chevy express van and E350. I find that the parts outlast the additional cost, and the parts seem to be getting easier to get. Brakes and rotors are about 30% more, but they are bulletproof which i can't say about my F*$%.

Robert
440k miles and counting...

Last edited by robertgrosz; 03-09-2011 at 11:11 PM.
robertgrosz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertgrosz For This Useful Post:
jotunheim (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
jotunheim

Well, with a little guesswork this is what I put together in a preliminary fashion.

We haven't had our Sprinters long enough to know the cost of maintenance, so I went with approximate costs on the previous vehicles we had (Dodge 3500 dually pickups).

I am also not sure if I should be adding the acquisition cost along with the depreciation cost, but did purposely leave out a "salvage value" to make this a worst case scenario.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2011-SprinterCPM.zip (12.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
mackconsult

Here is my 2010 summary ..... the XR is looking pretty sweet .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 fuel consumptions.jpg (91.2 KB, 202 views)
08 Laser Pro #194171
Vancouver, Washington, USA

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

http://www.mackconsult.com/

Some day I will sell everything, buy a cascade 36 or a cal 40 sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar !!!!
mackconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
hkpierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotunheim View Post
Well, with a little guesswork this is what I put together in a preliminary fashion.

We haven't had our Sprinters long enough to know the cost of maintenance, so I went with approximate costs on the previous vehicles we had (Dodge 3500 dually pickups).

I am also not sure if I should be adding the acquisition cost along with the depreciation cost, but did purposely leave out a "salvage value" to make this a worst case scenario.

Let me know what you think.
Financing is your cost of acquisition debt, "profit" is your cost of your own equity, and depreciation is your investment recovery.

I don't understand the "Repair" costs for the first three years as that should be under warranty. However, if you consider it opportunity cost - may be [lost revenue], but that is normally [my experience only - I am not an accountant] a regulatory accounting and financial analysis approach, not IRS/GAAP accounting.

I see no management/administrative/overhead expenses.

I see no costs for your parking lot/garage/etc.

I see no targeted pre-tax return.

Your fuel costs assume a 5-year lease/pricing type arrangement. The fuel formula probably needs to be set to the same time units as your pricing, as that was the original question you asked.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hkpierce For This Useful Post:
jotunheim (03-15-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
tonman
2007 Dodge Sprinter 170wb

I drive a 2007 doing service work running on paved and gravel roads in ontario, our maintanance costs have been quite high mind you it is a ideal truck to work out of since I m 6'3" right now it is at 135000 km We have replaced the front brakes twice the rear once ty rods 4 sets of tires tons of light bulbs parking sensors the u joints are seized up rigt now to fix this you need new drive shafts totalling $2700.00 so in short the money you save in feul you will definitely spend on maintenance. and that this van is rusting already hm frustrating!
tonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
jotunheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpierce View Post
Financing is your cost of acquisition debt, "profit" is your cost of your own equity, and depreciation is your investment recovery.
Financing cost was interest only portion at 4%, the best rate that I could find around here. Principal was and should not be included as an expense. I didn't include any profit analysis, as we set our charge per mile based on a percentage of our CPM, which right now we try to set at a 40% premium. My biggest question is that I think I may be double counting with expensing both depreciation over the 5 years AND having the acquisition cost, besides assuming zero salvage value.

Quote:
I don't understand the "Repair" costs for the first three years as that should be under warranty. However, if you consider it opportunity cost - may be [lost revenue], but that is normally [my experience only - I am not an accountant] a regulatory accounting and financial analysis approach, not IRS/GAAP accounting.
I agree; my assumption is high and most of this would probably go away. However, any repair items not included in 100K powertrain coverage but after the 36K basic warranty would not be covered. In any case, these amounts could be reduced.

Quote:
I see no management/administrative/overhead expenses.
I assumed these would be the same for any vehicle were to acquire, and I am not sure how this would be quantified other than just have a miscellaneous charge every year.

Quote:
I see no costs for your parking lot/garage/etc.
NA, as we own the property the the vehicles operate out of. Someone that did have this could add these "miscellaneous" costs to a new row I suppose.

Quote:
I see no targeted pre-tax return.
I am not sure I understand this. As I mentioned above, I did not do a profit analysis in the spreadsheet as I was just trying to get an accurate idea of the actual cost to operate.

Quote:
Your fuel costs assume a 5-year lease/pricing type arrangement. The fuel formula probably needs to be set to the same time units as your pricing, as that was the original question you asked.
Well, I assumed that fuel would rise about X% (I think I put 4%) a year but who really knows right? Thank you for your comments!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
piper1
Resident Oil Nerd.

At $4/gal...mine is 28cents per mile for the running costs, so that does not include payments (or depreciation), insurance or any other fixed costs (costs you have whether you drive it or not. When I add those it goes up to 45.5/mile and I put away 3 cents per mile for repairs...48.5 cents.

That MB spreadsheet above......that was funny.....quite a lot of assumptions by MB to get the desired truth there.
I had a.....2008 NCV3 (badged as Freightliner) 170wb ext body 6 foot roof. 12 feet for cargo, 42 inch bunk sealed off from the back, battery powered A/C and 120 v power and Air Tabs! Flettner Roof Vent....but it's gone.

298,000 k on the clock (06/22/11). Valvoline SynPower MST, Shell ATF134

Now driving a CargoMax 600.
piper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper1 View Post
That MB spreadsheet above......that was funny.....quite a lot of assumptions by MB to get the desired truth there.
I'd say it's nearly a criminal level optimism.

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote