The Espar Files

bc339

Attachments

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Good question.

As far as some of the timer modules are concerned both Webasto and Eberspacher use the same item. The instruction manuals read virtually the same so if you're only concerned with Webasto operation you stand a pretty good chance of figuring it out with the above links. Not the same for maintainence tasks though.

I don't know for certain but my suspicion is that the 1531 type seven day version is voltage sensing, so either 12 or 24v application.

Another Link
'cause you can never have too many sources when one is down.

Another source of info. Thanks goes to Dick (th43) and Ray at Espar of Michigan.
Edit: Last word is that Ray at esparparts.com is very Sprinter heater parts friendly.

Post is here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114246#post114246

http://www.esparofmichigan.com/techsupport/pdfs/Hydronic 4-5/Hydronic4_5.pdf

As with all single posts the original thread can be accessed in the upper right. This particular thread has some other good information contained in it. vic

Last edited:

A nice quick test of the electric circulating pump outlined by bc339. A simple test light can be used if you don't have a meter. Thanks goes to Bruce.
"In the T1N database is a thread for the espar heaters - The Espar Files. In it, you will find a troubleshooting guide.
The coolant pump may be the most likely problem. It's easy to check. Check for voltage at the coolant plug - disconnect the plug, turn on the heater - you should have 12V at the plug. If the voltage is good, the pump has probably failed. With the engine off, and the heater turned on, you can hear the pump running with the hood open. Unplug the pump, any change?
Bruce
The original thread is here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13805

vic

Eidt: Kubbie has indicated that a 9 volt battery works for a quick test for the combustion blower motor and also the glow plug. Be aware that those parts are rated for around 8 vdc.

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

I've been trying to get quotes for parts to rebuild my booster/aux htr (Hydronic D5W S Model 25 2091), but have had trouble making sure of the part numbers. Today, I requested and received a manual showing part numbers, etc for my particular unit from Espar in Canada. It's attached below. In addition to Espar part numbers, it also cross-references MB part numbers. And it shows other models that may be of interest to other owners. Unfortunately, it's in German, but it's useful for part number reference.

Attachments

bc339

Danke Ihnen, mein Freund
I compared it to the english and german sprinter espar manual - it's a better detailed manual.
Thanks!
Bruce

Several years ago, Espar printed a guide to make the heater independent of engine operation. There are a few threads on wiring a switch to run the heater, I thought this may help someone.

The second file is the Espar product catalog. Alot of useful information - for adding another, controls, tools, replacement parts...

Bruce
This is good info Bruce. Thank you. Does anyone have a good source for these parts? I'd love for our Espar to be independent. I tried the dealer but the poor fellow I spoke with didn't seem to understand what I wanted.

talkinghorse43

This is good info Bruce. Thank you. Does anyone have a good source for these parts? I'd love for our Espar to be independent. I tried the dealer but the poor fellow I spoke with didn't seem to understand what I wanted.
Don't know if I'd say I know of a good source, but your local Thermo King dealer can get parts (they have a franchise agreement that stipulates they can't ship out of their areas). US Freightliner and Mercedes Sprinter dealers can get parts, but in my case couldn't get all the parts I needed to rebuild my OEM Espar. Chris Case (sprinteruk) could get all the parts I needed for my rebuild, but the quote was higher. Espar of Michigan has a website advertising parts, but they wouldn't respond to my multiple requests (phone & email) for price and delivery quotes. Espar's reps at their NA site in Mississauga, ONT (espar.com) are very helpful with technical info, but can't sell parts.

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns

Follow this link to US Espar Dealers. I stopped by my local Espar/Thermo-King shop yesterday and got lots of help and good info.

talkinghorse43

I've been trying to get quotes for parts to rebuild my booster/aux htr (Hydronic D5W S Model 25 2091), but have had trouble making sure of the part numbers. Today, I requested and received a manual showing part numbers, etc for my particular unit from Espar in Canada. It's attached below. In addition to Espar part numbers, it also cross-references MB part numbers. And it shows other models that may be of interest to other owners. Unfortunately, it's in German, but it's useful for part number reference.
This is quoted from my post on 12-06-2010 and I'm adding here that I have since found the document I attached to that post is not accurate in all respects for my heater. Specifically, the listed part number and physical representation of the glow plug is in error. I ordered & received the recommended glow plug and while rebuilding my heater noticed that my original glow plug is quite different than the recommended part. My original includes the necessary wiring for insertion in the plug and that wiring is connected (probably welded) directly to the heating element. Also, both wires are electrically isolated from the glow plug casing. The recommended plug has just one isolated connection (threaded bolt - +?), no included wiring (separate PN), and seems to rely on the heater case for a ground. Fortunately, my original glow plug was still good, so I was able to reinstall it and the rebuilt heater is now operating as designed.

It wasn't easy, but I was able to get the PN for the right glow plug from Espar in Canada and it's 25.2106.01.1000.2F (picture attached). Again, it wasn't easy, but I was also able to get the incorrect plug exchanged for the correct one through the good will of the parts guy at Thermo King.

Attachments

talkinghorse43

I'm including here multiple responses from Espar in Canada (when I was trying to find the correct PN for the glowplug above) showing their attitude toward support of the heaters originally installed in our Sprinters. They're shown in chronological order - earliest first.

- "The heater installed on your vehicle is not ESPAR heater, but it is a proprietary heater of Mercedes and it is being supported by vehicle manufacturer through their dealers. ESPAR does not import and support this heater as it is not available for us."

- "Mercedes is the only right place for this heater because they own this project (it is their property) and they took responsibility for full support. ESPAR does not have access to those heaters. Normally I do not advise customers to invest money into repair of Sprinter heater and advise to buy a new one from us with full support.

There is a good chance that our gaskets and glow pin are the same but I cannot guarantee this as my access level to Ebershpacher system was not enough to get information about Mercedes parts to see substitution for discontinued ones. Freightliner and TK are our dealers so they do not have access to Mercedes proprietary parts too.

From my side I will send a request to my contact in Germany regarding your heater but can not say in advance if my efforts regarding Mercedes parts are going to be more fruitful than Mercedes efforts."

- "I probably was not clear regarding situation with Sprinter heater. Sprinter heater is produced by Ebershpacher Germany for Mercedes and it is property of Mercedes. Canadian ESPAR is a different company and neither Ebershpacher nor Mercedes have arrangements with us to support this heater.

On the other hand, Freightliner is one of our dealers only for heaters and parts we import or produce in North America and we supply it with heaters in parts but we do not have Sprinter heater in our list (nor for sale neither for support), which again, is property of Mercedes and we do not have access to it or it's specific parts and have very limited access to documentation. You may buy parts from our dealers if they fit into your heater, but official support to you must come only from Mercedes for now. We always try to assist Sprinter owners as much as we can but we still can not stick too deep into a project which is not our property."

These are all from a person whose title is: "Technical Services Supervisor".

My take on this is that Espar and Thermo King (gets parts through Espar) are less than enthusiastically supporting Sprinter heaters. I did try to get parts from Freightliner (2 dealers) and Mercedes (2 dealers), but was told by the US dealers I contacted that the gaskets I needed were no longer available (was able to get them through the Thermo King/Espar connection). Also, the exploded parts diagram used by the Freightliner/Mercedes parts people also depicted the wrong glowplug, so I probably would have received the wrong plug from them as well.

navylife59

Not to revive an old thread.... Well ... yes I am as an update is warranted. It is still business as usual that talkinghorse43 described. If you contact ESPAR Michigan, they will help you and get you parts, so as long as, you don't give them the Ebershpacher/Mercedes model number of the unit. I feel confident that most parts on the Ebershpacher Hydronic D5 S are interchangeable, if not all, to those in the ESPAR manual. Only the control module maybe different. I was told that there is very little failure rate in the modules. The Combustion blower fan usually gives the most difficulty.

Isn't there a model number mentioned in the previous posts?

Added:
Some Condensed Espar Notes
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51941

I might as well add to this thread.

I found some info on a varnish site of all places. They outline many of the operation details of the Espar heaters in different areas of the site. I found the startup sequence detail helpful.

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/Eberspacher_Intro_1.html

vic

20140130 Edit:
The latest word is that esparparts.com is Sprinter friendly now. These parts are known to fit my 2004 Booster Heater.

Espar parts which are verified for my 2004 Booster Heater:
Burner with integral fuel pipe = Burner 25 1922 10 00 00 (no fuel strainer needed)
Gasket and Seal 20 1752 99 01 01 Newer Number = 20.1820.99.0001.0A
Glow Plug (with integral leads) 25 2106 01 10 00 aka 25.2106.01.1000 aka 25.2106.01.1000.2F
Blower Assembly 12V/D5W SC 25 1922 99 16 00

A meandering thread, but it contains some information.

Some 2004 Espar Heater Notes

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=429282

Last edited:

flman

Thanks to Vic pointing me to the pertinent threads on Espar.

Any ways mine would not fire in my 2006 Sprinter, combustion blower was running, so I pulled of the fuel line and turned on the heater and it seemed to have air in the line, reconnected it and the heater made a backfire and started right up. :thumbup:

Top Bottom