Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
jayataltair
Jay

Question Looking to Buy a "Dog Show" Sprinter

Hello,

I am new to this forum and do no own an RV or cargo van yet. After years of hauling large show dogs and their paraphernalia (crates, food, exercise pens, canopies, etc.) to dog shows and lure coursing trials we are going to try something more suited to the task than an SUV or mini van.

I think the Sprinter with the 2.7L engine will meet the needs but do not understand the difference between a Sprinter cargo van and a Sprinter RV. We do not intend to use the Sprinter as a typical RV (i.e. sleep in it and camp in it) but as a larger and more convenient way to take our dogs, their stuff and our stuff back and forth. We plan to stay in motels and hotels over night but understand that we still would need "hook ups" to service the Sprinter.

Where should we look to buy a new Sprinter with a customer conversion to meet our needs? What pitfalls do you see in this approach.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jay
jayataltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
david_42

Default Re: Looking to Buy a "Dog Show" Sprinter

A cargo van is basically an empty box. Sprinter-based RVs come in to forms: Class B, which start with a cargo van and Class C which start with the Cab Chassis. For your needs, you should start with a cargo van and add the items you need for the dogs. A van conversion company like Sportsmobile might be the best approach. They can do various levels of conversion. For show dogs, you would probably want A/C and a generator, a small tub for cleaning them plus water tanks and waste tanks. Secure kennels or spaces for portable kennels are also worth considering. You would not need the beds, kitchen and as many cabinets as a typical Class B RV would have.

By the way, the 2.7L engine is no longer available in a new Sprinter. It has been replaced with a 3.0L V6 Diesel.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
jayataltair
Jay

Thanks for your advice. I think a Sprinter Cargo Van Long Body (24') with a high roof would be a good place to start understanding our options.

Jay
jayataltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,330 Posts

Sit!
Stay!

Go here: http://www.dogshowvans.com/
woof.jpg

(things to think about: add a -second- air conditioner, or some "emergency" system to handle things if the primary AC dies on a hot day.)

have fun
--dick
(not a customer, i was just aware of the company due to their long membership in the Yahoo Sprintervan group)
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (07-03-2010), mendonsy (07-02-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
blessedmomof8

I saw a dog show conversion Sprinter on Auto Trader. Here's the link Maybe it'll give you some good ideas about what you might want...or you may buy it. Who knows? Just thought I'd put that out for you.

My Sprinter was actually used for dog shows before we bought ours...but it was just a 10 passenger 158". It has lots of extra storage space behind the seats. A doctor used it for 5 years, turned it in for a trade in and just purchased a new 2010 Sprinter. I guess he liked it since he went out and bought another one! We're still getting little dog hairs out of the seats but it cleaned up really nicely!

Riding high with my hubby, lots of kids, a dog, grandkids, and whatever else we can toss into our
2005 Dodge Freightliner 2500 SHC 10 passenger 158" high top white Sprinter van!
We call her Panorama!
blessedmomof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
mbgtown
the "Sprinter Guy"

You need to hook up with K-9 Sprinter here on this forum.
mbgtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
azquadman

Try Quality Vans in Tempe Arizona
They are interior builders.
www.qualityvans.com
azquadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
K-9 SPRINTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
Sit!
Stay!

Go here: http://www.dogshowvans.com/
Attachment 24673

(things to think about: add a -second- air conditioner, or some "emergency" system to handle things if the primary AC dies on a hot day.)

have fun
--dick
(not a customer, i was just aware of the company due to their long membership in the Yahoo Sprintervan group)
Tony is not doing conversions anymore, but he does sell the temp pager
K-9 SPRINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
amahte

I am buying a Sprinter as well to do a conversion for my dog show life! Many handlers use them and I have seen some really cool conversions. If you are at the shows, talk to the handlers and ask to check out thier sprinter--I have never had one refuse. Plus they give great tips of what they would do differently if they were to do it again and what features they like best.

I am getting extra tall and extra long cargo van, that way I can still stack 500's and with the cargo van I can set up the conversion the way I want.
I will also add a closet, bed, counters, shelves, fridge, microwave and TV, roof air/heat, generator and awning. I know exactly what I want and will do the conversion little by little. There will still be lots of room for crates!!

Good luck!!
amahte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Plum-Perfect

I recently purchased a 2008 gas powered Sprinter, it was 'new', only 59 miles but actually 2 years old but has 3 year factory warranty. I am working with Sportsmobile in Fresno, CA to convert. I am now looking at DC Air Conditioner for keeping the dogs cool at shows or when travelling to places like Reno, NV. Onan has an Energy Command that automatically starts the generator to keep the batteries charged all the time.

You need to travel with it and decide what plan you want. I went on a trip and completely changed my original plan. I travel with 5 - 7 dogs that ride in 400/500 crates. I have a soft crated for each dog, X-pens, etc.

Good Luck,

Suzanne
Plum-Perfect is offline   Reply With Quote