Original battery dying or a charging problem?

Josh

My '07's original battery has been getting noticeably weaker,
got stranded last week with a dead battery & had to call in roadside service for a boost.
The guy noticed that my charging voltage was just over 13v., he told me that was way too low & it should be well over 14v.
I have a 2nd battery, home installed, with an auto cut-off switch, this battery has also become weak!

Before I speak with Dodge & they discover the 2nd home-installed battery & tell me to get lost,
could someone give an idea of what's happening & what steps should I take.
Could it be the regulator, alternator?

Thanks,
Josh

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
The low alternator voltage can be related to the battery (banks) not accepting a good charge anymore. What I'm saying is, your alternator will only give out what your batteries can take. If your batteries are weak, they can no longer accept higher voltage (and your meter will reflect this.)

1) Any battery/alternator test by a dealer, mechanic or store will determine exactly what is (weak alternator, weak batteries, or both).
2) Chrysler is not allow to deny warranty based on upfitted equipment being installed, UNLESS they can imediately identify the upfit as the source or cause, which is their right).
3) All batteries have finite cycles based on their design and quality. It's entirely possible, based on use or abuse or a dead cell, that you lived out the life of one or both.

Last edited:

Josh

Thanks for your quick reply.

My mileage is only about 12,000 km, the 2nd battery is only 8 months old.
Neither has been overused or abused.
The batteries in my other 2 family vehicles have lasted way beyond 5 years & much more usage.
I'm suspecting the regulator. Any experience with that?

Thanks

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
One dead cell in one battery can create the problem you describe. Undercharging will occur. Go to Wal-mart or Crappy-Tire and get tested.

Josh

Just found this from a help site on the internet…

I have a 2007 Dodge Sprinter and the charging system is not charging my battery properly. It’s charging at approx 13.2 volts, on the low side. When any accessories are turned on the voltage drops to 12.8 and sometimes less. Any ideas what’s happening?
Answer
The most likely cause for this concern is the battery cable that runs from the positive battery post to the starter and another leg that goes from the battery to the alternator. Its basically a "Y" shaped battery cable that braches off to both items. The leg going to the starter has a 300 amp fusible link heat shrinked to the cable. The problem we have found is high resistance at the link causing the wiring to become discoloured under the heat shrink. This will most likely be your problem. I have been witness to about half a dozen of these so far. The repair is to replace the positive cable assembly from your local Dodge Sprinter dealer.
K50426561
Vehicle Issue Intermittent no start due to low battery voltage/discharged battery.;1. Intermittent low battery voltage/discharged battery, even after driving for some time. 2. Alternator output, when measured at the alternator is correct. 3. Alternator output, when measured at the battery may be below normal.
System or Component Starting Issues;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Group 08 - Electrical,Charging System,Starting System
Recommendation Possible cause may be high resistance in the cable from the starter motor to the battery, caused by a loose crimp at the 300 Amp fusible link. Perform a voltage drop test over the cable from the starter to the battery while at the same time doing a â??wiggleâ?? test on the cable at the fusible link. If corrosion is present and/or the cable does not pass the voltage drop test, replace the cable.
Modification Date 05/01/08 12:00 PM

scubanw3

We have also seen this fusible link failure. The cable runs from the alternator to the battery and runs under the front sub frame cross member. Right in line with all the road dirt, debris and moisture. The link is midway in the cable and even though it is sealed, it still becomes corroded. It’s a stupid design in a stupid location. Hope this helps.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The link is midway in the cable and even though it is sealed, it still becomes corroded. It’s a stupid design in a stupid location. Hope this helps.
John,

Have you engineered a permanent fix for this design flaw?

-Jon

scubanw3

Jon,

No I haven’t. But I should put it on the list. You know…that list I have!! If I do make an up-grade, you can bet it will be better than the factory unit. But I am working on a tool that will make your trani service way easier. BTW, we have scheduled the 5th Annual NW SprinterFest for Saturday April 17th.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I'm looking forward to a tool that'll make transmission service easier!

See you in April or you'll know the reason I didn't make it.

-Jon

Josh

Today I visited my local Dodge dealer's service dept. to analyze the charging problem.
I gave them a print-out of the advice I found on an internet help line, which I posted here last week.

They would not order the suspected cable in advance but they eventually agreed (today) that I do have the problem
as described on the print-out.

They agreed to order the new cable & replace it next week. I managed to have a talk with the mechanic & he
revealed that he's seen this problem 3 times recently.

I suggest that everyone check their charging voltage & correct the problem before their warranty runs out.

Josh

Mrdi

What should the charging voltage be? I have a 2008 with 220a alternator and auxiliary battery. Thanks in advance!
And at which 2 points do you connect the multi meter to determine the alternator output?

Last edited:

skinniewinnie

Josh,
I wanted to add that I recently encountered this same battery cable issue, and the Sprinter Tech informed me that the cable he put in was an improved design. After looking over this thread, it wasn't obvious if anyone had heard the same thing. I would be interested in knowing for sure if the new cable is not going to corrode, because the first time around my dead battery really left me in a pickle.

Jeff

Josh

I have not researched this thoroughly yet but the road service guy who gave me a boost told me that 14.2 volts was typical.

Josh

The easiest spot to test battery voltage is under the hood, find the strange looking red knob (+) & push with a slight turn to expose positive, negative can be any bolt near the engine.
Compare that voltage with alternater output voltage, if there's a large difference you have a similar problem as mine.
Maybe someone with more engineering skills can give you a more precise answer.

Josh

...I would be interested in knowing for sure if the new cable is not going to corrode, because the first time around my dead battery really left me in a pickle.

Jeff
Jeff,
If the new cable looks the same as the one they replaced my guess is that the same problem will surface. It'd be nice if the new part was an improved design.

For years (decades now???) I have been spraying WD-40 on automotive electrical system components to slow down corrosion. I'm certain there are better, less readily available products for that purpose that others can suggest. That said, WD-40 has kept my problems at bay. I also always coat engine compartment slide on electrical connectors with a bit of petroleum jelly (Vaseline). FWIW. AP/vic

Josh

Got the cable replaced today, no charge.
Charging voltage (at battery) went from 13.2 to 14 volts.

Josh

Hi Jon...

Just a basic digital volt meter similar to the one roadside service used when they gave me a boost & noticed the charging voltage was too low.

Josh

aeroshots

My cable/harness was replaced today for a suspected similar issue--possible low voltage issue. The tech stripped down the origional harness hoping to find something wrong, but all looked fine. Time will tell if my issue is corrected.

Top Bottom