antifreeze?

DWalsh

2006 158 2500HD what anti-freeze should I run. They say the Mopar anti-freeze "orange" in color??? I heard that stuff is hard on gaskets? any help would be great.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
It's my understanding that "color" is no longer a good means of determining the proper antifreeze for any given vehicle.

Here's an outtake from the service manual:

DESCRIPTION - HOAT COOLANT
WARNING: ANTIFREEZE IS AN ETHYLENE-GLYCOL
BASE COOLANT AND IS HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED
OR INHALED. IF SWALLOWED, DRINK
TWO GLASSES OF WATER AND INDUCE VOMITING.
IF INHALED, MOVE TO FRESH AIR AREA.
SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT
STORE IN OPEN OR UNMARKED CONTAINERS.
WASH SKIN AND CLOTHING THOROUGHLY AFTER
COMING IN CONTACT WITH ETHYLENE-GLYCOL.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. DISPOSE OF
GLYCOL BASE COOLANT PROPERLY, CONTACT
YOUR DEALER OR GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR
LOCATION OF COLLECTION CENTER IN YOUR
AREA. DO NOT OPEN A COOLING SYSTEM WHEN
THE ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE OR
HOT UNDER PRESSURE, PERSONAL INJURY CAN
RESULT. AVOID RADIATOR COOLING FAN WHEN
ENGINE COMPARTMENT RELATED SERVICE IS
PERFORMED, PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT.
CAUTION: Use of Propylene-Glycol based coolants
is not recommended, as they provide less freeze
protection and less corrosion protection.
The cooling system is designed around the coolant.
The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in
the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and
engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the
radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the
heat to the air.
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder
heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion
protection. Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5
Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent
ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion
inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic
Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant
offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when
mixed with 50% ethylene-glycol and 50% distilled
water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-34°F). If it
loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush,
and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.
CAUTION: MoparT Antifreeze/Coolant, 5
Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be
mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of
coolants other than specified (non-HOAT), may
result in engine damage that may not be covered
under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion
protection

-Jon

talkinghorse43

2006 158 2500HD what anti-freeze should I run. They say the Mopar anti-freeze "orange" in color??? I heard that stuff is hard on gaskets? any help would be great.
'06 owner's manual says (p301):

EURO Peak Coolant/Anti-freeze, OLD WORLD INDUSTRIES
Zerex G05, The Valvoline Company
Zerex G48, The Valvoline Company
Glysantin G05, BASF AG
MOPAR Part No. 05066386AA, or equivalent

all meeting MB spec 325.0

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
'06 owner's manual says (p301):

EURO Peak Coolant/Anti-freeze, OLD WORLD INDUSTRIES
Zerex G05, The Valvoline Company
Zerex G48, The Valvoline Company
Glysantin G05, BASF AG
MOPAR Part No. 05066386AA, or equivalent

all meeting MB spec 325.0
I got the Mopar stuff and it's black. Like they said, color doesn't tell.

AVL_Sprinter

Whitewater Freak
Yes I know the thread is old...

Took a second to find this stuff: Valvoline Zerex G05

I checked many auto parts stores, but ended up finding it at NAPA. It was in the back of the store and had to ask for it.

$11.30

I am guessing that is much cheaper than the dealership would charge for the Mopar product.

Just FYI for anyone trying to find this particular brand.

:rad:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Last I checked, the part number was 5066386AA for a gallon of HOAT antifreeze from a dealership and the price was over $20.00 USD.

-Jon

AVL,
I found the same situation and ended up at NAPA also. The places like Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc. that didn't carry any GO-5 coolant were pretty insistent that the "all color" stuff they had was good for the Sprinter. They may be correct, but I have read where using the wrong coolant in our engines can affect the gaskets? For that reason I see no need to experiment with other than the recommended GO-5. Then again, who knows? AP/vic
Yes I know the thread is old...

Took a second to find this stuff: Valvoline Zerex G05

I checked many auto parts stores, but ended up finding it at NAPA. It was in the back of the store and had to ask for it.

$11.30

I am guessing that is much cheaper than the dealership would charge for the Mopar product.

Just FYI for anyone trying to find this particular brand.

:rad:

Colorado_Al

I know this thread is old but I have a question about the antifreeze in my T1N.
I bought it used and it currently has green antifreeze of unknown type. I bought a gallon of the Mopar antifreeze from the Dodge dealer and it is orange. No idea if I can mix it, but guessing not.
Coolant reservoir is full, just bought some to have on hand.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Al

lindenengineering

Guys its about knowing what is your OATS and HOATS!

The secret is knowing about the fact that water that makes up about 50% of coolant is hard in Europe and softer in North America, hence it is less critical for NAS Sprinters.
However erring on th safe side I use the Zerex product prevously mentioned.
Here is a good fact sheet to study.
http://www.recycool.net/index.php?o...eeze-today&catid=9:recycool-articles&Itemid=7

In any case for those of you who have Asian vehicles, they too after 1994 went progressively to a HOAT coolant but its a crimson/pink colour.
Dennis

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Al
Al,
According to MB the proper coolant such as GO5 is recommended and gives you a longer change interval. Were I in your situation I'd change out the unknown stuff. It isn't a big job. Finding the drain valve is a bit of a challenge, but there are threads which cover the procedure.

I normally don't sweat getting every drop of old fluid out of my engine, transmission, or cooling system. In your case I would refill with water once and drain to get rid of all the unknown coolant. I think you should only need 2 gallons of GO5, but you can double check.

I cover some of it in this water pump change thread.

T1N OM647 Engine Water Pump Replacement
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6228

vic

Colorado_Al

Guys its about knowing what is your OATS and HOATS!

The secret is knowing about the fact that water that makes up about 50% of coolant is hard in Europe and softer in North America, hence it is less critical for NAS Sprinters.
However erring on th safe side I use the Zerex product prevously mentioned.
Here is a good fact sheet to study.
http://www.recycool.net/index.php?o...eeze-today&catid=9:recycool-articles&Itemid=7

In any case for those of you who have Asian vehicles, they too after 1994 went progressively to a HOAT coolant but its a crimson/pink colour.
Dennis
Dennis,
Thanks for the link and the info. According to the link:
"Hybrid OAT [HOAT] antifreezes provide both fast acting and extended life corrosion protection, eliminate the problem of anti- freeze compatibility, and therefore are compatible with all types and colors of antifreeze."

So, if I read that correctly, I can add HOAT/GO-5 antifreeze to whatever happens to be in my tank now. I may not have the extended life formulation but I can use the Mopar or other HOAT/GO-5 to top off until it is time to change the fluid.

After more reading it sounds like that is the case. Mixingg HOAT and IAT antifreeze will not cause problems, however you will still need to change on the shorter schedule of the IAT antifreeze.

I'd change out the unknown stuff. It isn't a big job.
I agree, but I think I will wait until spring. 16* and windchill for a net 3* today.

Thanks everybody!

Hey Guys,

I just picked up today at Walmart in Toronto a gallon of Zerex G-05 pure antifreeze for $18.00. They were also selling the premixed 50/50 G-05 for $17.00, it made sense to buy the pure stuff at that price.

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
First : the Benz type of anti-freeze is a anti-corrosive type long life , Benz recommends changing the coolant @ 150,000 miles. If you want the right stuff visit the nearest Benz dealer (car or Sprinter dealer) the same coolant is used in there cars also.

Caution : no matter what you read , you can not mix HOAT coolant with normal old school coolant, it will I REAPEAT it will start to congeal over a short time. I HAVE WITNESSED THIS EFFET FIRST HAND , and it is not pretty
Carl

Last edited:

cahaak

Yes you can, the color has nothing to do with it. The G-05 type is the OEM and recommended refill antifreeze. And of course it is available at NAPAs all over for a reasonable price.

Chris

312d

i have been using for a while MOTORCRAFT VC-7 Premium gold .... bla bla bla. The other products you name here are not available here. There are post in other forum that states that this motorcraft vc-7 is the same zerex g05 branded different.
In my first sprinter i started using the GM orange stuff, that was a fail!!; heavy mineral whitish deposits i found later when i was cleaning the radiator .
note:I usually clean once or twice a year radiator because my german shepperd loose his hair and that is sucked in the front of the radiator and clogs that with dirt also, that is kind of weird , but happened, besides, it is the right time also to clean up the intercooler, this way you will have turbo for ever.

i have been using for a while MOTORCRAFT VC-7 Premium gold .... bla bla bla. ...
It is HOAT technology coolant so you didn't choose poorly.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/DeiselTips/DLSCOOLANTINFOSS.pdf

It likely meets MB325.0 spec no problem. Gosh. I'm amazed that Ford didn't spend the money and submit for a MB spec approval. :dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm:

:laughing:

note:I usually clean once or twice a year radiator because my german shepherd loose his hair and that is sucked in the front of the radiator and clogs that with dirt also, that is kind of weird , ...
I believe it. The dog we got from a rescue agency is reported to be part German Shepherd and part Lab. I'd never heard the nickname "German Shedder" before getting him. I'm a believer now.

vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom