City water hookup not working

RmScadd

On a recent trip, I noticed that whenever I opened a faucet the water pump would kick on, even though we were connected to city water. I thought that maybe the pressure valve or in line water filter was obstructing the flow of water.

I have just tried it again with the same results. The pressure valve and filter are at the hose bibb. With the water turned on, I slightly loosened the connection at the RV and water squirts out, so I now know the problem in not the pressure valve or the filter.

Some how water is not entering the RV supply system. I have looked at the owner's manual but get no help. Is their a check valve at the city water connection that may be malfunctioning?

Any help is much appreciated.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Turn the water pump off when connected to outside water. The pump will run if it's on and a faucet is opened... Al

Carolann

Also make sure that you aren't filling your on-board fresh water tank when hooked up to city water (unless you intend to do that). A picture of the fresh water tank shut off valve is in your manual.

RmScadd

I have been keeping the pump turned off. I only turn it on when I am trying to get water out of the faucet with the fresh water tank empty. Changing the fresh water tank shut off valve has no impact. Again, water is not entering the RV from the city water hook up. The only way I get water from any faucet is to put water in the fresh water tank at the fill point by the passenger's door and turning on the pump.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Probably not helpful...but....

New to you van? Did the van come from up north where it freezes? Or, yours and it stopped working?

Hook up each piece in turn and check the flow one by one... pressure reducer, filter, hose.... It is possible to have a duff pressure reducer or occluded filter. If all OK, then hook to RV. There may be a "fill" and "run" or "normal" valve that is closed to get the lines to pressurize. If it's on fill it will add water to the tank till it comes out the vent.... and keep running out until you change the valve to normal. The water pump is not needed when hooked to shore water. There should have good flow when hooked to shore water. If you have good flow to the end of the hose and the valves are set properly, I'd then check to that the valve is actually working. Or, the check valve in the system has crapped up and isn't opening.

gte

2008 RS
I have been keeping the pump turned off. I only turn it on when I am trying to get water out of the faucet with the fresh water tank empty. Changing the fresh water tank shut off valve has no impact. Again, water is not entering the RV from the city water hook up. The only way I get water from any faucet is to put water in the fresh water tank at the fill point by the passenger's door and turning on the pump.
I do not understand why the pump is turned on when the fresh water tank is empty. In this mode you would be sucking air with the pump and when I do this the pump runs and will not shut off.
I think as has been suggested the city water check valve may not be opening. Try pushing the center of the check valve to see if it is operating. You would not want to do this when the system is under pressure as you risk unseating the oring seal in the valve. If the valve is stuck it is an easy replacement. Seems odd it would fail in a new unit like yours but who knows.

Trekker

Trekker
I think as has been suggested the city water check valve may not be opening. Try pushing the center of the check valve to see if it is operating. You would not want to do this when the system is under pressure as you risk unseating the oring seal in the valve. If the valve is stuck it is an easy replacement. Seems odd it would fail in a new unit like yours but who knows.
I agree. If no water when hose is connected and you have city water pressure, then pressure is not getting into your van. The check valve at the water inlet is likely faulty. Replace it. An easy fix. Inexpensive part at any RV supply store. The OEM part used by RT has failed on many units, mine included.

Top Bottom