2012 Pleasureway Plateau TS - Furnace Issue

geneowens1

Hello, I'm looking for advice on a furnace issue on my 2012 PW Plateau TS on 3500 Sprinter chassis. I've used the propane furnace a number of times over the winter. However, we have had some warmer weather and then a cold day - on that cold day I discovered that my furnace would not fire up. It attempted to light about 3 times and then shut off. I also discovered that the 2 burner cooktop will not light. The fridge appears to be working on propane; the hot water heater fires on propane and the generator fires and runs on propane.
Any thoughts as to the source of the problem with the furnace and the cook top???
Thanks,

Rock Doc

Just as a thought, you might have the propane system pressure-checked to make sure it's at 11 inches water pressure with a manometer. This has to be pretty precise for most appliances, and occatsionally needs to be adjusted.

Probably needs to be done at an RV repair shop. This is one of the annual safety checks that is recommended by the RV experts. However, issues with teh propane system are important safety issues, and shouldn't be ignored.

If you have a chance to go to a larger RV show, it's good to attend the seminars. Gary Bunzer, aka The RV Doctor, is a wonderful source of information, and he has a package of four handouts covering annual maintenance, the propane system, the water system and the electrical system that are little bits of gold.

Rock Doc

icarus

Clearly you have an obstruction somewhere, of some appliances light and others don't. If it were just the fridge that lights I might suggest something else, but since the fridge AND the water heater light, but the furnace and stove top don't I would look carefully the post regulator piping. (as suggested a manometer pressure test is always a good idea). Does any gas come out of the stove or is it just blank? If gas comes out at the stove obviously see how you are lighting it, as I would guess it has either a pilotless ignition or you need to light it manually.

If the furnace is "trying to light" does it essentially light then shut down, or does it just try. Once again checking for gas flow at the appliance is essentiall.

Not knowing how this particular rig is plumbed, I suppose it is possible that there w two regultors, one for the fridge and water heater, a second one for the stove and furnace. In that case, testing at the regulator(s) is imperative.

The bottom line, if you know enough about how gas works, simply check the plumbing until you find the fault. If you don't know much about gas work, you might be (safer) better off leaving to some one who knows what they are doing. (That said, I'm no convinced that most RV "techs" really know what they are doing.)

Icarus

geneowens1

Thanks for the info and recommendations - the tech at Pleasureway finally got back to me via email late yesterday. He thinks it may be the propane regulator. Will be going to dealer tomorrow to have it checked.

beachbum57

2003 LTV Free Spirit
Just for future reference since I have had this same problem with my water heater and the furnace works the same way:
Besides sparking, the igniter will send a signal (millivolts) to the control board that there is a flame present and the gas will stay on. If the igniter has carbon on the tips or has just gone bad or broken, it cannot send these millivolts to the control board and the control board will shut off the gas via the gas safety shut off valve. Most control boards will try to light the appliance three times before it shuts off. The first time my igniter did this, I cleaned the carbon off of the tips with emory cloth. The second time, I replaced the igniter, however, it still didn't work. Had to replace the control board because it no longer could sense the flame.

I'm glad that you got it sorted out and hope this will help you understand what is happening if your water heater does the same thing.

geneowens1

Thanks for the advice and info - my furnace has fired fine since the service visit and I hope it does so when I get on the road in April - I'll be in some places where heat will be needed.
Thanks again,

... - I'll be in some places where heat will be needed.
Thanks again,
If it is a high voltage ignitor only issue, assuming the flame sensor is still working and you have physical access, it is possible to light the pilot with a butane match stick during the ignition cycle. The control doesn't care how the flame is actually ignited. As BB57 mentioned, the control looks for a very small (microamperage) current conducted through the established pilot flame, or possibly a millivolt signal from a small sized (less mass, cools quickly) thermocouple.

One problem with manually lighting the pilot is that once thermostat setpoint is achieved the unit will power off and likely not re-light when next called upon. You can get periods of heat by setting the thermostat high. That is not ideal, but may be better than no no heat at all. Worth a try in an emergency.

vic

Top Bottom