A "slight" frame modification ... okay, maybe a bit more

bikerjoe

After driving my 140" wheelbase '04 2500 for nearly two years as a cab-and-chassis, using it only as a "tug" to pull a trailer, I finally got to work on building the bed and body for my baby. It is almost finished, but I cannot show many of the photos because there is a super secret accessory fabrication occuring for which a patent is in the works!

Here is a photo of the not-yet-completed frame mod. Notice anything unusual?

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Nice shop. :bow:

The only thing I see are the tilting bed rails. The thing that gets me are the mounts (hydraulic mounts? :thinking:).

It doesn't look like a connection would clear the frame mounted cross-member. :idunno:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Thanks for the sneak preview. It's clear that whatever you have planned is going to be innovative and interesting. Too bad you have the rest :censored:

Llarry

Llamasine driver
OK, Joe, you've got our interest! :smilewink:

Looks like this might have some potential for rapid unloading of llamas...

I guess I'd better stay tuned!

bikerjoe

I'll try to find a few more photos to post soon. The eyelets ARE for hydraulic cylinders, 3-1/2" bore and 24" stroke, and they work great! I'll put up a photo tonight if Ii can. The new frame is 4-1/2 feet longer than the original, which ended just behind the rear leaf spring mounts. The truck has a tilt-up bed with stake pockets all around, and a rear hydraulic loading gate/ramp, but the secret accessory will not be revealed until I hold the patent. The truck has three separate hydraulic power units on it, operating no less than 11 cylinders!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
but the secret accessory will not be revealed until I hold the patent.
Just an FYI...if your utility patent is already in process and you already know that none exist in the market, then a few photos will not hurt your chances at getting the patent because there's a date written on the patent application received notice that secures your patent rights.

Even if a person/company sees this and issues their own patent, the earlier application date determines the patent rights; design or utility.

Unless that is you haven't even started the patent process, then you might have a point. :smirk:

All the best on your patent endeavor.

Seek

bikerjoe

So what do you do to your Sprinter while you still owe $15K on it?

:idunno:

Why ... cut it in half, OF COURSE! LOL!

bikerjoe

We can rebuild it. We can make it better than it was ... better ... stronger ... faster! Well, better and stronger anyway :thinking:

The 2"x6"x1/4" wall rectangular steel tubing fit into the original frame like a glove! I greased up the end and drove it into the original frame section all the way up to the rear edge of the floor pan. The overlap is four feet.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Now it's looking better, that's one long overhang, is it legal? , Thinking what would happen down under if we tried to extend, that one, lots of compliance issues just to make it hard to get DOT approval
Richard

bikerjoe

Far into the project, I worked out the geometry issues and achieved a functional tilt-up frame! :rad:

Certain portions of these images may have been deleted to conceal proprietary details.

bikerjoe

Now it's looking better, that's one long overhang, is it legal? , Thinking what would happen down under if we tried to extend, that one, lots of compliance issues just to make it hard to get DOT approval
Richard
Nah, it just LOOKS long because I used a 10mm wide angle lens to shoot the photo. The overhang is not excessive, and has not presented any problems with maneuverability or dips and driveway exits.

bikerjoe

It is a multi-purpose bed. It is a dump with stake pockets so I can convert it into a stake bed when necessary. it has E-Track runners on the deck for limitless tie-down capabilities. The bed tips up so I can load low-slung motorcycles and small cars :clapping: by angling the rear ramp and bed for minimal interference. The whole frame of the bed is an integral tube, making the air chamber for the air compressor. No tank is necessary, The bed contains 3.2 cubic feet of air space, inflated to 100 PSI. And the final phase, is a hydraulic unit of my own design which is what will be patented. No further details for now...

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I recall you were looking for a dually rear axle? Have you tried calling Beckerautodesign.com in Oxnard. I have purchased at least one new 2500 rear axle from them and its remotely possible they may have done some duallys. They convert Sprinters and other vans to executive luxo-cruisers and actually install independent rear suspensions(of their own design and manufacture) so the vehicle owners will have a smoother ride. An expensive option at $10k-12k! Doktor A

bikerjoe

Thanks. I'll talk to them, but $10K is WAY out of my price range. I was thinking I could get a whole wheel-to-wheel dually axle for about $2,500.00 or so, used. Maybe ... just MAYBE I am in for a shocking revelation! :wtf:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Thanks. I'll talk to them, but $10K is WAY out of my price range. I was thinking I could get a whole wheel-to-wheel dually axle for about $2,500.00 or so, used. Maybe ... just MAYBE I am in for a shocking revelation! :wtf:
No- That's not what I meant to imply. The $10k-$12K is the price for their independent rear suspension and installation. I was suggesting you may be able to find a "take-off" oem rear axle-cheap. Doktor A

Top Bottom