Coloradoan Adventure Van

robmurray12

I only installed a passenger swivel seat on my 02 158". The two of us generally prefer to face each other for meals.

We like each other a lot but an unforeseen virtue of the swivel front seat is that one of us might be reading in bed while the other is on the laptop. Somehow physical distance on a ten week trip provides good psychological relief from being in the same cramped quarters for such a long time

Dan.
So you're saying the newly wed lust is going to wear off??? :lol:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I am aware, however, our van is a 2008 and has a DPF filter not the DEF liquid that is added to the current models (assuming you got your acronym mixed up). My research so far has indicated there are more stations with ULSD on the baja peninsula compared to mainland Mexico. From what I have found, they are still spotty. We may have to take a couple 5 gallon cans or, at worst, put a tank or two of normal LSD through it.
My van is also a 2008. Sorry meant DPF. Next van will be gas so I can not get confused with all the diesel emission hardware/software.

hein

Van Guru
Awesome build so far. We stayed in Craig on our recent trip to Denver. Nice town!

I have a battery tray design (design thread; Installed pics in my build) that will let you place two GC2 6V batteries ahead of either of your rear tires. It's a great mid-ship location. I had extras made and have one left. Send a PM if you are interested.

Last edited:

robmurray12

Awesome build so far. We stayed in Craig on our recent trip to Denver. Nice town!

I have a battery tray design (design thread; Installed pics in my build) that will let you place two GC2 6V batteries ahead of either of your rear tires. It's a great mid-ship location. I had extras made and have one left. Send a PM if you are interested.
Thanks Hein, that means a lot coming from you. Some of you guys have some unreal skills! Thanks for the offer but planning on getting everything mounted up under the passenger seat. I also want to avoid anymore holes through floor/ceiling. I'll let you know if the plan changes as your trays came out really nice.

robmurray12

We are heading down to Rifle after work tonight with the van to camp out and get an early start Saturday morning climbing. Hoping to put up a good amount of routes then jet back up to Craig early afternoon before the heat becomes too much. Might be able to work on the van Sat. late afternoon/evening. Will be working on it all day Sunday and hoping to finish the bench seat framing skins and get started on the galley. Oh ya, I should have a manual foot pump coming in the mail today for our kitchen sink set-up. Excited to get that all hooked up. Should be posting more updates Monday.

robmurray12

Rifle/WRNF Weekend Trip

We went down to Rifle Mountain Park and the White River National Forest this weekend. Left Friday afternoon after work, read about the one issue we had here, https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33822, if interested and let me know if you have any ideas what might have been the issue. Anyways, took a deeply rutted forest service road (picture) with 10% grades up to a nice camping spot (picture). We were greeted by a curious group of visitors in the morning (picture).

The van did great. Ruts were no big deal just straddled them. There were a few places where ruts were on top of ruts and my only concern was squeezing the duals but everything went fine. It has been interesting getting used to how the rear duals track with this long wheel base rig. No issues with the 170 wb yet but definitely wish I had opted for a 144 wb at times. On the other hand the space is great and we love the bench seat. Also, the insulation works great! Can't compare it to the high dollar systems people install but it definitely works at holding in/out heat!

Had a van work day all day Sunday, waiting for some adhesive to set, will post pics today/tomorrow.

Attachments

robmurray12

Bench Seat Framing

So, I finally got the bench seat framing and skins done. Our Engel cooler slides underneath the bench seat. When braking hard the cooler tends to creep forward so I bought a cheap lap seat belt and rigged up a quick disconnect restraint. Works well, simple, cheap and looks decent. If we ever got in a catastrophic wreck the cooler could load the restraint such that the bench seat support pedestals will blow off the wall/floors they are attached to, however, in such an event there will be plenty of other debris flying around. First picture shows the lap belt anchored to the bench seat support framing, I added an extra 1x6 in addition to the existing 1x4 to beef it up. Also keyway'd the 1x6 like the 1x4 so that the seat back has more meat to slot into, it also beefs up what the seat cushion is supported by.

Typical with rest of the build, skinned framing with 5mm ply and glued carpet. Bought some 4' sections of 4" vinyl wall base for a nice, clean baseboard. I could just see all kinds of nasty getting built up in the carpet, now we have a nice easy wipe down surface.

Finally, the open space to the right of the cooler will be home to some nice fitting plastic bins for quick access to misc storage. The bench seat frame pedestals will also allow for additional storage space when the seat is removed.

Oh by the way, on our last tank of diesel we did 383 miles of roughly 70% highway and 30% slow/steep NFS roads and still got 19.94 mpg. I was pleasantly surprised, I would have been on with 18 to 19. The driving was also typical of what we will be doing on our trip however, we will have more weight...

Attachments

Last edited:

Doug M.

Your build out is looking good :thumbup:. Your diesel mileage should stay the same as your buildout continues. After 1 year 8 months of continuing building on my Sprinter the mileage has stayed the same: between 20 and 22 mpg. If I am pulling steep canyons repeatedly on the Eastern Sierra Nevada like I did last week the mileage can drop down into the high 19's.

hein

Van Guru
Re: Bench Seat Framing

Finally, the open space to the right of the cooler will be home to some nice fitting plastic bins for quick access to misc storage. The bench seat frame pedestals will also allow for additional storage space when the seat is removed.
We are happy with the variety of fabric drawers offered by Closetmaid and others. They added some color to our otherwise grey interior. They don't rattle and have and open top for easy access. Looks like you could build some open shelves next to the cooler with more retention straps across the front. Honestly, I'd lash the cooler down to the floor. Safety first for you and your precious cargo.

robmurray12

Flooring: Version 2

Wow, it has been awhile since I have posted any updates. I've been steadily working on the van on weekends when not climbing or tied up with other obligations. Anyways here is an update:

My cheapo flooring failed, can't say surprised! While camping in Nat. Forest we had the sliding door open exposing the flooring to the setting sun. Long story short, the flooring boiled up under the intense heat. We pressed it back down but she was never the same. My great idea of troweling adhesive in addition to the self stick tile adhesive may have been its undoing. I think there may have been a chemical reaction between the two adhesives that negatively effected their "cure". Also I don't think I let the trowel adhesive tack up enough...

Pulling off the self stick tiles wasn't too bad (Pic 1 pre adhesive scrape) but scraping off the old gooey adhesive was a torture I wouldn't wish against my greatest enemy.

Anyways, I put off new flooring for a couple weeks to give some thought as to what we need and want. Our van is going to be our sole shelter for 1+ years in a couple months and between mud, beach sand, snow, water, dog and normal wear and tear I decided to go with a single sheet of heavy duty PVC diamond plate garage flooring. No seams to worry about dirt, dust, water or grime to get into.

Cut it to size and went to our local TLC to consult with a flooring expert regarding adhesive (my confidence had been greatly shaken and didn't want to screw the pooch again). They recommended Stix 2230 - XL Brands pressure sensitive adhesive. Followed directions to a T. She came out nicely. Added aluminum angle and strap to all borders/terminations to prevent any peel-up from starting. Also ram a bead of clear silicone caulk before I put the aluminum angle down so that water wouldn't be able to get between it and the flooring. Tooled the joint with a mineral spirit wettened rag as clean-up. Looks great, feels great, hope she lasts! Yea for more grey!

Attachments

robmurray12

Bed Frame Support Shelving

Finally got some more work done on the bed frame stand off supports. Got a shelve built above the wheel well that ties the support legs into the side wall further increasing rigidity. Skinned in our dirty clothes hamper complete with venting. I then skinned the support legs with 5mm ply. I'll lose a little effective storage area where the wheel well bulges out but a small price to pay in order to make the bed frame work and fit nicely. Another picture of the bed frame with bench seat in front and hamper/storage cubbies on the passenger side (still need to make lids for them). Oh ya on the bench seat you'll notice a clue for our plumbing system for the kitchenette sink... more on that to come, God I knows I've put it off long enough.

Attachments

hein

Van Guru
You are experiencing the van builders dilemma:
Play now or work on the van so you can do more playing later.

Your progress is fantastic and design looks really good. Glad you got the flooring sorted. We noticed the same on the black rubber floor that came in our van. It got really hot if we left the door open with the sun on it. We removed it but couldn't decide on a covering so painted the OEM floor with textured porch paint (in grey, lol). We have throw rugs on top (which we will replace when they get too dirty). They are easy to pull out and shake when the sand and other foot born debris starts to accumulate.

Keep up the good work! I would recommend getting some sound deadening on the fender wells. Are you sealing your wood structure?

Last edited:

robmurray12

You are experiencing the van builders dilemma:
Play now or work on the van so you can do more playing later.
Tell me about it. Its been good to take some weekend trips in it to figure out our wants/needs/tweaks.

Your progress is fantastic and design looks really good. Glad you got the flooring sorted. We noticed the same on the black rubber floor that came in our van. It got really hot if we left the door open with the sun on it. We removed it but couldn't decide on a covering so painted the OEM floor with textured porch paint (in grey, lol). We have throw rugs on top (which we will replace when they get too dirty). They are easy to pull out and shake when the sand and other foot born debris starts to accumulate.
Thanks! Yes we are definately planning on a rug both inside and out at the sliding door entrance to keep tracking to a minimum.

Keep up the good work! I would recommend getting some sound deadening on the fender wells. Are you sealing your wood structure?
Not planning on it right now but agree that is a major source of road noise, may get something worked out towards the end to address it. The hamper has been sealed with polycrylic clear coat so that clothes aren't catching on splinters. I cant decide whether to paint or stain the rest of the wood. Any suggestions on paint?

irontent

Typical with rest of the build, skinned framing with 5mm ply and glued carpet. Bought some 4' sections of 4" vinyl wall base for a nice, clean baseboard. I could just see all kinds of nasty getting built up in the carpet, now we have a nice easy wipe down surface.

Oh by the way, on our last tank of diesel we did 383 miles of roughly 70% highway and 30% slow/steep NFS roads and still got 19.94 mpg. I was pleasantly surprised, I would have been on with 18 to 19. The driving was also typical of what we will be doing on our trip however, we will have more weight...
Your floor looks great -- nice job on the AL trim.

Also good to hear that your 170 does ok on the non-paved roads on the Western Slope. We have also been pleasantly surprised by the traction, ride, and fuel economy in our van.

hein

Van Guru
People seem to like the look & feel of the Rustoleum Aged Iron texture paint I used. (probably over 50 spray cans) It wouldn't work over bare wood. An enamel paint with texture powder added and applied with a small roller might produce something similar. (experiment first)

Stained wood is always a nice look. A combination of textured grey and stained wood would tie the build back to the OEM interior. Just a thought.

If you haven't bought a sink, I recommend this one. Nice and deep so water doesn't splash about. It comes with a template but I have digitized outline for the perfect hole I could send as pdf.

Last edited:

robmurray12

Your floor looks great -- nice job on the AL trim.

Also good to hear that your 170 does ok on the non-paved roads on the Western Slope. We have also been pleasantly surprised by the traction, ride, and fuel economy in our van.
Thanks, its surprising what these vans can get through as long as mud isn't involved. I'm thinking about getting a pair of Maxtrax for a little added peace of mind when on the beach and in National Forest/BLM. Has anybody had any experiences with them and their van?

robmurray12

People seem to like the look & feel of the Rustoleum Aged Iron texture paint I used. (probably over 50 spray cans) It wouldn't work over bare wood. An enamel paint with texture powder added and applied with a small roller might produce something similar. (experiment first)

Stained wood is always a nice look. A combination of textured grey and stained wood would tie the build back to the OEM interior. Just a thought.

If you haven't bought a sink, I recommend this one. Nice and deep so water doesn't splash about. It comes with a template but I have digitized outline for the perfect hole I could send as pdf.
Sorry Hein, missed your comment. I'm leaing towards paint on the cargo area wood framing/shelving. Living quarters will all be either carpeted, trimmed with the aspen planks I have leftover, and use of the wall base where applicable. I want to keep finishes the same throughout the living quarters to avoid the cobbled together look (Kind of regret that I stained the bed rails as they don't jive with the aspen polycrylic look). :idunno:

I got a sink for free from a buddy, its a standard commercial hand washing sink like this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/regency-wall-mounted-hand-sink-compartment-17-x-15/600HS172H.html

Got a template made for the curvature of the van wall where the kitchenette will be up against it. Also got all my drawer slides in last week and dimensioned sketches drawn up. Just need to lay it all out on the wood and cut it out.

The kitchenette will have some unique features that I'm excited about, however, the "project" has me concerned since I have to really plan it all out for it to look half way decent. My wife thinks I'm too much of a perfectionist but she is really going to be annoyed when I start on it.:idunno: I try to explain to her that unless you strive from the beginning to be dead-:censored:-on with everything there are so many opportunities to make mistakes and they just compound as the carpentry process progresses.

Doug M.

I agree with you Rob. There is so much meticulous work done in such a small area, that is the inside of a Sprinter, that it requires thinking 5 or 6 steps ahead. I find it to be very similar to the design work I was doing in prototypes for kidney dialysis machines and electrolytic chlorinators many many moons ago. I'm sure your wife will appreciate the finished product from all your good work. I like your build.

Top Bottom