Green Diesel Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
So, I got a tune for my sprinter, but I have the dumb when it comes to computers (and many other things) so I'm hoping one of the smrat computer guys here can help me out.

Step 3 of the instructions says to install the driver of the USB device, but it doesn't say how to do that, here is a pic of the instructions,

And here is a pic of the screen of the flashscan program, there is the light blue dialog box in the middles of that window, but I can't type or paste anything in there,

So how *do* I install the device driver?

This is with windows XP on an old laptop, I have windows 7 in bootcamp on a mac that I normally use if that will help, but it seems that would just be another variable to make things not work given my luck lately...

shortshort

Dis member
Did windows tell you it saw a new device when you plugged in the tool? If not maybe you have a bad usb port on the laptop. Happens a lot.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Well, the device showed up right away on both computers, and as I was futzing around trying to get it to work in win 7 a message popped up saying the device was connected and then it worked fine according to the rest of the instructions, but I certainly didn't do anything specifically to "install the driver" as I was supposed to do.

Everything worked fine after that, the stock file has been e-mailed off, so now I just have a bit of waiting to do.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Already got the tune back in my e-mail this am, install went fine, van drives well, I'm looking forward to getting on the road to check mileage!

I have tracked every tank of fuel since I got the van 50,000 miles ago, so I have a good baseline for my MPGs with the stock tune.

flman

Already got the tune back in my e-mail this am, install went fine, van drives well, I'm looking forward to getting on the road to check mileage!

I have tracked every tank of fuel since I got the van 50,000 miles ago, so I have a good baseline for my MPGs with the stock tune.
Now you got the ultimate tune!

Rock

Flman,
Tried to send you an email. Need help with an exhaust gas temp sensor issue which will probably lead to a big (+$1000) bill since I'm out of warrantee.
Can the GDE tune solve this problem?
Rock

jostalli

I know this is the GDE thread so I apologize for posting a competitor's link. It's just that there is no specific information regarding DPF deletion on the GDE website. GDE most likely does this as well (and probably cheaper).

So, here is your answer: http://www.customspooling.com/index.php/dpf-delete

Cost is $1125 for an NCV3, not including DPF canister modification (you would do this yourself).

No relation to the company. Just read this on another thread.
Just found out Custom Spooling is no longer in business so GDE is the only game in town. Hopefully they can program for DPF delete. Did you find out yet?

nekit

So I was planning on getting the GDE tune and thought I would clean up my EGR valve first to make sure it wasn't plugged up with carbon. Without reading up, I removed the motor of the EGR from the valve. Found out later that this is a big no no. Long story short, couldn't get the EGR to be recognized by the computer again and it would put it in LHM.

Thought well the GDE tune will turn off the EGR and it won't matter. Wrong. After the tune the ECM was still picking up an EGR fault and going into LHM.(Limp Home Mode).

So if your thinking the tune will fix an ailing EGR. It doesn't seem to. Had to buy a new $350 EGR. My bad.

For the record my EGR was fine before I took it apart. I try every posible combination to put it back together and none worked. It would pull a P02511 EGR signal grounded fault and go into LHM.

With the new EGR everything is fine. As others have stated, the tune does seem to add some power and does seem to have more diesel rattle at idle and accelerating. I drove it 500 mile this week and it does seem to be getting as good if not better than stock milage. I haven't gone through a full tank with the tune yet, I'll report back.

Kevin(GDE) has been great to deal with and had fast delivery.

Thanks,
Rob

Nuke

Has anyone with the tune noticed a smell like hot oil dripping on an exhaust manifold?
I've crawled all over under there with a LED flashlight and pleased to say my engine, transmission everything is bone dry and clean enough to eat off.
So I just started to wonder if it might be the EGR maybe coking up any old oil deposits and getting hot.
I recall it being said that there is no need to clean the EGR prior to or after installing the tune
So just wondering if anyone else has smelt the same thing, (without any smart remarks orion:)

What type of MPG improvement are people experiencing if they are trying to maximize economy
rather than going hog wild playing with the extra responsiveness?

When I first installed it I was seeing high 28's and even 30 numbers at high altitudes until I blew my turbo
It was a sick turbo with evidence of about a third of the compressor impeller eaten away by vegetation
New turbo but rest of the trip was lower 20's, practically what I was getting before the tune.
I thought maybe somehow the tune might have been cleared with disconnecting the battery
didn't make since and was told it shouldn't have, but I tried reinstalling it when I got home
and I am still getting right around 22-23 traveling in the second to the slow lane with cruise on flat roads in So FL
set at 65-68. Was running late the other day so set 72 and changed from 23 to 22.8

Wondering if I ought to contact GDE and see if they might want to look at a new download with the new turbo
not that I know if that would make a difference.

Don't want this to turn into the tune caused the turbo to blow thread
saving that for a rainy day
Something to look forward to O :)

Just looking for feed back from tune installed members this time

thanks

nuke

Turbo John

So I was planning on getting the GDE tune and thought I would clean up my EGR valve first to make sure it wasn't plugged up with carbon. Without reading up, I removed the motor of the EGR from the valve. Found out later that this is a big no no. Long story short, couldn't get the EGR to be recognized by the computer again and it would put it in LHM.

Thought well the GDE tune will turn off the EGR and it won't matter. Wrong. After the tune the ECM was still picking up an EGR fault and going into LHM.(Limp Home Mode).

So if your thinking the tune will fix an ailing EGR. It doesn't seem to. Had to buy a new $350 EGR. My bad.

For the record my EGR was fine before I took it apart. I try every posible combination to put it back together and none worked. It would pull a P02511 EGR signal grounded fault and go into LHM.

With the new EGR everything is fine. As others have stated, the tune does seem to add some power and does seem to have more diesel rattle at idle and accelerating. I drove it 500 mile this week and it does seem to be getting as good if not better than stock milage. I haven't gone through a full tank with the tune yet, I'll report back.

Kevin(GDE) has been great to deal with and had fast delivery.

Thanks,
Rob
His name is Keith......not Kevin
I never have touched my EGR....the tune disables it. I am sure mine needed cleaning but why bother if does not function anymore....?

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
The other day I was helping out a buddy with a few sprinters, I found a failing egr valve, I pulled it and inside it was rock hard oil deposits and from the egr to exhaust a black goop all the way down to the source. I cleaned the egr and got it to move freely but after installation it did not work. I was going to offer buying a tool and tune from GDE but I wonder, when the egr is disabled, what happens to all that exhaust/oil that won't make it through the egr? Is it just going to collect inside that mini exhaust port to the egr?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom