anyone regret buying a dark color sprinter?

foxharp

we're in the market for a base vehicle for a DIY conversion. i'd prefer not to get a white one, but i've sort of resigned myself to the fact that most cargo and crew vans are white, and figured that in the end it would be fine because the van will stay cooler if it is.

but i recently spotted a crew van (may look at it this weekend) that's green, and in the pictures it's kind of pretty.

so... those of you with non-white vans -- do you ever wish it were white?

paul

dryerex

Paul,
Don't forget one of the good things about so many white vans around is replacment parts, doors, hood, etc. No painting needed !

Had a dark SUV years ago. Dark brown with black interior. Was always hot in the summer. Even hot in the winter sun. Later was ok in northern Wisconsin though.
Ralph

Davydd

I have Graphite Grey Metallic (dark grey) and love it. It doesn't show lol that much dirt. That was a pleasant surprise.

johnshmit

Yes, dark was hot to touch compared to slightly warm white, but in a same Pennsylvanian weather I use rooftop for the 5-10 min once a month just because i have one.
It is my daily driver.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You could just approach it with the knowledge that at least a roof fan/vent will be in your future.... ($100(vent) to $400)

(this year (our 10th of ownership) we almost bought one (MaxxFan or FantasticFan))

---dick

foxharp

oh, interesting -- i assume that's your van in your avatar image, so it's... not white. blue? and you haven't felt the need for even a fan until now? i'm in boston, so we may get more sun than seattle, but it still means a dark color might be okay.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yes, it's a dark blue (Jasper Blue Metallic, MB paint code 5354)

Last month (early Sept) we drove to Idaho's Craters of the Moon (plus City of Rocks) and were a bit too warm when it got up to 90F at our campsites.
...but that's why we have a sliding door (on one side) and sliding windows on both sides behind the driver.

When driving, the Sprinter's front air conditioner has been adequate to over 100F outside.

I wanted a light color (silver would've been nice), the wife wanted dark (preferably Green) "easier to see in the snow"
(somehow the argument "easier to see in the dark" didn't work)
We bought "off the lot", so Green didn't happen.

Don't tell anybody, but Seattle tends to be bright and sunny from May through Sept, just not (historically) very hot.
(our summer day length is also longer than Boston's)
The interior of the parked and closed van can easily exceed 110F (even with a windscreen aluminum reflector).

In other threads, folks have strongly recommended a screened/closeable hole in the floor to allow cooler air to enter the van as the hot stuff is exhausted out the top. I'll be following that recommendation, or will figure a way to engage the hidden exhaust vents that are behind the rear wheels:

RearVent3.jpg

--dick

Last edited:

nbarnard

2007 NCV3 10 passenger
I've got a dark blue passenger van and boy does it get hot in summer, pulled a roof panel off to hook up a TV and nearly burnrd my hand on underside of roof. That said, I have roof Ac and it does just fine at keeping it cool when running. Love having the darker colour van. Didn't want standard white. Hides dirt well too. Kids don't like it if I shutoff van in summer for extended periods without opening door. Can't compare to white as I've never had one or been in one.

I have a black one. As stated above, it gets hot in the summer. But the roof AC takes care of that quick. I love the look of the black and the dark tinted windows of the passenger van. It is a pain to keep clean though.

You can always add the white toupee. Just be certain to use the proper paint. I used regular white color oil based enamel on the roof of a black Dodge B250 I once owned. It cut down the sun loading, but over time the white color bled down the sides of the van. A rattle can job shouldn't bleed down.

vic

BikeJozz

I got a good deal on a commercial white van. Was not my first choice because of the poor quality of the white paint job. But I must admit that now I'm glad it's white. Only got a roof vent that is not even hooked up yet and the van stay pretty cool even on hot summer days, barely a difference between inside and oustide with front windows one inch open and roof vent open.

gavia

Our's is Pearl Metallic Silver and it's great.

Doesn't get hot, hides the dirt very well, and there's not many of them around!

I want to order my 2nd Sprinter with Graphite Grey but does appear it might be too hot! The other options are white (which I had and does stay cool), Stone Grey or Pebble Grey. I wish there were more photos of Pebble Grey or Stone Grey. Those 2 last colors might be too out there though. Love one day, hate the next.

Doctor Handyman

I have the graphite gray long tall crew in Southern CA. Yes it gets hot. But I don't have roof A/C or a vent. I have partially insulated with Reflectix and closed cell which helps a little. Dash AC cools it quickly and we had a very hot summer. Apparently Fall is going to be as well.
Pick the color you like the best and don't worry about the few minutes a darker van might be when you first get in it.

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
I have Pebble Grey which is more of a tan color. No rear AC and it does get warm inside on the hot days. Front ac is ok but kinda wish that I had gotten the rear ac as well.

I know that dark colors will raise the temperature by another 10° compared to a white van but it's really a matter of what you'll be happy with. I'm happy with mine. I can find my van in a sea of parked cars at a mall.

Dark colors can show scratches after washing if you're not careful. Brighter colors not a problem, but when washing in the bright daylight, you will need sunglasses. Dark colors tend to fade over time, not so much with brighter colors.

foxharp

thanks for all the input folks. sounds like we should choose lighter colors if possible, but otherwise follow our hearts. :)

for more pictures of pebble gray -- GeorgeRa's "Layout plan" thread has lots of pictures of his van, which i'm pretty sure is pebble gray, though i can't find where he said it at the moment. the color shows best in the interior shots, like these:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=237093&postcount=266
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=241499&postcount=283

ReGULT51

I have Graphite Grey with Windows all around and it's an oven when it's hot outside. Maxxair fan set at 99 deg to ventilate and it's still warm. Takes some 15-20 min running both Front and rear ACs to cool van down to the 80 deg range. I installed 3M heatblock film on all windows as well. I don't have window coverings (yet). Solar panel on roof keeps direct sunlight off substantial portion.

Not trying to be negative, but dark car in sunny weather...if you're sensitive to heat, go light color.

Source for my experience: live in SoCal plus we traveled to Florida and back. Family didn't find interior intolerable so I presume it cooled off sufficiently quick for them. The above is just my seat of pants feel of the interior temps and again depends on your tolerance to heat.

Hope that helps.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I *love* the fact that my Sprinters have not been white. It makes them stand out much more. BUT, my maroon van has rusty doors, and finding white doors is easy... Maroon doors are near impossible... Just a thought.

Top Bottom