recognize your new key. There are 2 possible procedures-The one just
descibed- learning new keys(up to 8 total). The other procedure is
erasing ALL transponder codes- in the case of a key theft(or vengeful
ex). This procedure requires you to bring all your exsisting keys(and
any new replacements) to the programming session, thus rendering the
missing key useless. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Today I had time to read some accumulating tech material and came across a recent TSB. The dealer technician NOW has the option to use the dealerships "dealerCONNECT" system to obtain the protected dynamic code(for DRBIII) every time a key is programmed. This eliminates the need to obtain the code from the time consuming hotline- which can be very busy. Should make programming less time consuming and expensive. Doktor A

JamesM

Re: Key Programming cost??

Has anyone come accross a reasonable price for this service? My dealer wants $95 per key to program two new keys. Can it be done without having the vehicle on hand?

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Re: Key Programming cost??

Has anyone come accross a reasonable price for this service? My dealer wants $95 per key to program two new keys. Can it be done without having the vehicle on hand?
The vehicle has to be there but they don't need to charge the same price for each key -- or does that also include the key? They keys are expensive.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
It's not reasonable to charge double for two keys when the vehicle is already there and the setup already complete for the first key.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
So I had a rough car weekend, 300 miles from home!

In the process of limping one car back to where we were visiting, I seem to have lost one of my original Sprinter keys along with a key to another car I'd driven out there. That key has been remade from the code which I was able to extract with some dissasembly and minor surgury. No chip in a `96 Diesel Passat:thumbup:

I now want to replace my spare fob for the Sprinter.

My Question is:

When looking at buying a used fob, is the FCC ID number the number you have to match in order for it to be compatible?
or put in another way,
If the fob looks to be exactly the same type with the same number and placement of buttons/led will it work?

nebep

the chip of the T1N can be cloned. In other words, I can take your existing key that starts the truck, copy the chip data and write it to another key that's ready to accept it. (This is an aftermarket key that's capable of this, not a factory key)

As far as the remote goes, I'm pretty certain you could program one remote from another T1N to another - The key still has to be programmed separately to start the truck though. When you hold that remote key (RHK) in your hand, it represents three systems:

1 - the mechanical blade for operating the mechanical locks
2 - the keyless entry
3 - the immobilizer chip

As far as immobilizers go - there are chips out there which when they're programmed to one vehicle become "locked" and can't be reused on another vehicle. I've never seen a remote that does this.

(I'm a locksmith by trade, I specialize in automotive keys....and have two sprinters - my next project is to take my '04 and '02 work on the same keys...I think it's possible to do this....It will involved cloning a particular chip that resides in the instrument cluster....then just ordering a set of cylinders for the '04...)

I saw someone here was in Boulder, CO - Call Jeff R. @ City Lock - 303-444-4407 - If anyone in that area could duplicate your T1N key - I'd think he'd be the man - tell him a fellow clearstar member referred you. Tell him you're headed for Estes Park afterwards because your bladder is full.

(Doktor A - yes - the dealer is the only one "authorized" to obtain the coding - but, there are ways around it in the pipeline...As I'm sure you're aware - in the aftermarket auto world, where there's a will - there IS a way!!)

This post is specific to the T1N - I'm working on knowing more about the NCV - not a lot of news yet...

I get this complaint regularly from customers about the dealer charging to program each key - it blows my mind. They're hooked up and programming - you're doing how many ever keys you want to do...

When I bought my '02 - one of the sale criteria were that I would get another key and get to be able to be in the bay and watch the process. At this point, it was all by phone.

Scott_MC - Call ekeys4cars - They are a tad north of boston - but, capable of doing an extra key for your T1N for ya: 603-893-0999

Last edited:

nebep

Radio Shack has a USB to serial adapter cord I've used for quite some time - it has worked well. I *think* it was about $20 when I got it..

I don't think so ... but ask again in the appropriate thread:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9367

--dick
Dick,
Actually I feel this is an appropriate thread. Anybody searching for key programming in the future and finding this thread will not know to go to the DAD topic thread. This DAD information directly applies to key programming. The key program question getting to the DAD topic thread is another issue. I deleted my post here for you though.:thumbup: Hope this does some good. AP/vic

nebep

Dick,
Actually I feel this is an appropriate thread. Anybody searching for key programming in the future and finding this thread will not know to go to the DAD topic thread. This DAD information directly applies to key programming. The key program question getting to the DAD topic thread is another issue. I deleted my post here for you though.:thumbup: Hope this does some good. AP/vic
I agree as well - I'm part of another discussion group of a completely different topic - on that "board", "tags" are enabled. They make searching MUCH easier as long as posters add relevant tags - Is this possible here?

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
nebep said:
........Scott_MC - Call ekeys4cars - They are a tad north of boston - but, capable of doing an extra key for your T1N for ya: 603-893-0999
Thank you nebep for all the info...! Do you have any fears that when you're trying to key your two Sprinters alike, you may wind up unable to start either :eek:?!

The aftermarket type key you mention, I'd like one of those for a third spare. I'm really after/want one oem spare.
Where are you located? If you can re-key a 97 Passat ignition cylinder,(I have pics) lmk...I'll ship it to you. I'm tired of two keys for one car due to dealer incompetence.

......................My Question is:

When looking at buying a used fob, is the FCC ID number the number you have to match in order for it to be compatible?
or put in another way,
If the fob looks to be exactly the same type with the same number and placement of buttons/led will it work?
???

Do all the fobs have a separate/different FCC ID#? I never looked at my two originals to see if they were the same FCC ID. Model year specific, fob specific? Interchangeable? Would an '05 fob work for an '03

Last edited:

nebep

ScottMC - I have a plan A and plan B:

A: Identify/read the microcontroller that contains Immobilizer data from the '04 and the '02. Save both files. Verify them both. Write the '04 immo. file to the proper microcontroller in the '02. At this point the keys which start the '04 will start the '02 also. On the mechanical side of the house, I'll either rekey the locks myself, (I have a kit for older Mercedes which use the same key that may work), or order new cylinders for the '04 and put them in the '02. As far as the ignition goes, I might have to purchase a new ignition cylinder for the '04. I'm not sure if the ignition lock cylinder is servicable or not. (Servicable = can take it apart and put it back together without being able to tell this was done - If it's not, I'll just go the "buy one for the '04" route.) Once this is all complete, the keys for the '04 also operate the '02. Since I have cloning equipment for the chip, I'll be able to make as many keys as I want, which will work on both trucks.

(The purpose of using the '04 is that it has central locking/remote keys. So, I want to maintain control of that functionality for that one - the '02 is a "poor boyz" truck - no power anything...no remote key...I'm not planning on adding those functions to that truck, but, I do want to keep them alive on the '04)

(All this microcontroller talk is based on what I'm able to do with other vehicles. From what I gather, I don't see why this wouldn't work. There may be some reprogramming needed between the cluster and ECU - I'll probably be going after Doktor A to see what he knows about this before proceeding too far. Not 100% sure - these are details I'll be working to find out BEFORE starting down this path at all.)

B: I have a DRB-II with all the things needed for servicing the T1N. - I should be able to accomplish the same thing if plan A doesn't work out.

If I write the data from the '04 to the '02 and the truck doesn't start, then, I'll just need to re-write the data for the '02 back to the controller, then I'll be able to drive the truck.

:bow::bow:I'm personally rooting for plan A...:bow::bow:

This will definitely be a learning experience...

To get an OEM key - you'd need to order it through the dealer. I'm not sure if Jim (ekeys4cars) has a DRB and the connections to get the programming done or not - worth asking him. Also, it would be worth asking him about your Passat Ignition too - he's much closer to you than I, he's a stellar fella too - I've known him a good while. I promise he'll steer you right.

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Information I've received from Sprintguy (Carl) in conversation yesterday, (simplified, I'm sure he'd put it better.) says that the van's ecu recognizes the key, so you need to tell the van, this key is ok via a ridiculous process. We seem to think the `05 key would work on my `03 once programmed. I do have the central locking, one of my favorite features.

nebep

Yeh,

This is my thought process, based on what I know of many other vehicles:

the immo. module is reponsible for reading the chip data from the key and "signalling" the ECU that the key is ok, and authorized. From there, the ECU performs appropriately based on this "trigger" that everything with the key IS or IS NOT ok. If NOT ok, the ECU does stuff like, cut fuel, keep power from getting to the starter(which I assume wouldn't be the case in the sprinter anyway), things like this...

That communication link between the two is what I'm expecting will "break" when I put the immo. data from the '04 into the '02 - and another reason I'll save the original file for the '02 if I can't get the ECU/IMMO synced back up for some reason. because - the data will expect to be synced up to the ECU in the '04 - not the ECU in the '02...So, if I can't get them synced up, I'll plop the 02 immo data back on, that data will be "familiar" with the ECU of the '02, and the truck will be back in its original state and driveable...

from there - It'll be time to just suck it up and code the keys from the '04 to the '02 once everything is mechanically correct and call it a day.

...without doubt...still IMPORTANT questions to answer before trying this...In the end, it will work, there are just a couple of questions that need answers, and I know where I can go to get those answers, so, it's all good!

It'll be an interesting process...

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I wrote:
... but ask again in the appropriate thread:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9367

and AP/vic replied:
Actually I feel this is an appropriate thread.

..and i agree with that. What i -should- have written would have been:
ALSO ask (in the DAD thread)

..so that DAD followers would notice the question.

My -understanding- of the issue agrees with Scott Mc: you can introduce a new -starter- key to the Sprinter by having the other keys available to "certify" that the new one is friendly.
I haven't noticed any screens/procedures in the DAD that involve (or hint at) accepting a new key.

(riffles through DAD menus....)
DAD has no "set SKREEM" screens/menus, beyond "clear errors".

--dick

glasseye

I haven't noticed any screens/procedures in the DAD that involve (or hint at) accepting a new key.

(riffles through DAD menus....)
DAD has no "set SKREEM" screens/menus, beyond "clear errors".

--dick
That was my disappointed discovery, too. I was hoping for diagnostic procedures for the SKREEM or CTM to solve my keyless entry blues.

Otherwise, it looks like a very impressive set of tools. I've not connected mine to my vehicle yet, but I installed the software on an XP desktop and read the user PDF.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
That was my disappointed discovery, too. I was hoping for diagnostic procedures for the SKREEM or CTM to solve my keyless entry blues.

Otherwise, it looks like a very impressive set of tools. I've not connected mine to my vehicle yet, but I installed the software on an XP desktop and read the user PDF.
The DAD has a data stream menu for the SKREEM module. For your particular remote key issues however it regretfully does not offer a RKE/CTM data stream. Doktor A

Top Bottom