tires in snow unsafe at any speed

spp1112

Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
Replying to: spp (Mar 16, 2007 7:51 pm)

We had a very bad winter (compared to recent ones) here in Oklahoma and I got around great in my Sprinter (with stock rubber) until the snow turned to ICE and was just about too slick to stand up on.

Every vehicle I have ever bought did NOT have stock tires even remotely optimum for extreames of weather (rain, snow, ice, mud). In fact, a great mud tire, although pretty good in snow is tragically bad in icy conditions and not all that great in the rain.

SPP, which "stock" tire did your Sprinter come with? What year, size, model Sprinter do you have? We can see that you are concerned, now give us the details. Since you didn't name the tire manufacturer can we presume that you think the tires are OK for the purpose they WERE designed for?

When you realized that the tires you had on your Sprinter did not match your driving needs, conditions, or habits what did you do about it? Go back to dealer, contact DC management, switch tires? What was the DODGE or DC response to you?

Let us know your total experience, it would be appreciated.

PS, the tire that is avaiable here in the USA and seems to satisfy many people for Snow and related conditions is the Bridgstone BLIZZAK model tire line. They won't hold their superior ice handling for the entire life of tread, so they may still be good for fair weather after their useful wintertime life is gone.

PSS I am a former user of Bridgestone tires, and never have been associated with them professionaly.

Are you serious chrysler is in a heap of do do economically. their bean counters will not even entertain recalling and replacing unsafe tires on the sprinters. I'm sure their engineers knew of potential foul weather problems with the "stock" rubber! Maybe one of the engineers that monitors this site will be brave enough to come out from the cold and attest to the fact that chrysler knew that the sprinter would be unsafe in snow with the stock tire! **** if they didn't test the vehichle in snow!!! If you own a sprinter and you drive or at least try to drive in snow or sleet you should be outraged. join me in protest and possible legal action to make others aware of chryslers negligence!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. my sprinter is a 2007 med. wheelbase high roof. The tires on my sprinter are Michlien ltx a/s ct225/75 r16. Absolutely worthless in the snow or light granular ice. I have approx. 16k on the vehichle and can guarantee you that the selling dealership, Lee dodge of commack ny would not even entertain any request to change these tires. I'm having trouble with both the dealership and dodge customer care ( all I hear is that this is an internal matter and I may or not hear back from anyone) to replace a broken switch that controls the interior wall lights from the rear double doors.

PLUMMER

Sounds like a couple of impossible to please customers. Those Michelins are fairly good tires, and rated well up there, even for winter conditions.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
Replying to: spp (Mar 16, 2007 7:51 pm)

We had a very bad winter (compared to recent ones) here in Oklahoma and I got around great in my Sprinter (with stock rubber) until the snow turned to ICE and was just about too slick to stand up on.

Every vehicle I have ever bought did NOT have stock tires even remotely optimum for extreames of weather (rain, snow, ice, mud). In fact, a great mud tire, although pretty good in snow is tragically bad in icy conditions and not all that great in the rain.

SPP, which "stock" tire did your Sprinter come with? What year, size, model Sprinter do you have? We can see that you are concerned, now give us the details. Since you didn't name the tire manufacturer can we presume that you think the tires are OK for the purpose they WERE designed for?

When you realized that the tires you had on your Sprinter did not match your driving needs, conditions, or habits what did you do about it? Go back to dealer, contact DC management, switch tires? What was the DODGE or DC response to you?

Let us know your total experience, it would be appreciated.

PS, the tire that is avaiable here in the USA and seems to satisfy many people for Snow and related conditions is the Bridgstone BLIZZAK model tire line. They won't hold their superior ice handling for the entire life of tread, so they may still be good for fair weather after their useful wintertime life is gone.

PSS I am a former user of Bridgestone tires, and never have been associated with them professionaly.

Are you serious chrysler is in a heap of do do economically. their bean counters will not even entertain recalling and replacing unsafe tires on the sprinters. I'm sure their engineers knew of potential foul weather problems with the "stock" rubber! Maybe one of the engineers that monitors this site will be brave enough to come out from the cold and attest to the fact that chrysler knew that the sprinter would be unsafe in snow with the stock tire! **** if they didn't test the vehichle in snow!!! If you own a sprinter and you drive or at least try to drive in snow or sleet you should be outraged. join me in protest and possible legal action to make others aware of chryslers negligence!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. my sprinter is a 2007 med. wheelbase high roof. The tires on my sprinter are Michlien ltx a/s ct225/75 r16. Absolutely worthless in the snow or light granular ice. I have approx. 16k on the vehichle and can guarantee you that the selling dealership, Lee dodge of commack ny would not even entertain any request to change these tires. I'm having trouble with both the dealership and dodge customer care ( all I hear is that this is an internal matter and I may or not hear back from anyone) to replace a broken switch that controls the interior wall lights from the rear double doors.
"Moderator intervention"
spp1112
On the 4.7 2007 You placed this thread on Sprinter-forum
--------------
unsafe at any speed
---------------
Note: as members did reply to your question of unsafe at any speed, it is noted you did not "reply"
Hyper threading to another fresh link , but with references to other forum sites as this has been seen before, I must query your intent?

reply.jpg
To quote: After 38 years of driving in your 2006 Sprinter
You have had the experience of winters conditions, in a light weight Vehicle.
Quote" reply I'm sorry it took so long to reply!
I have a 2007 Sprinter with Michelin tires?
My question is what's your point of two separate threads with the same compliant that cross links back to another forum???
If you have an issue with Chrysler deal with it, You have a choice to purchase a tire that may be more suitable for your concerns, the manual clearly states tires for winter conditions, and to the reference of
'Snow chains'

SSP1112
You are more than welcome, 'To place legitimate comments.' with in the forum of Sprinter-Forum.
Nokian Tires
Richard
This is the original thread.
unsafe at any speed

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Thanks for finding/remembering that, Richard.

I was reading through that "reply" and "further reply" post with a deja vu feeling and wondering why, in July, we are getting the same complaint about the snow.

As for my own opinion about the tires, I am very happy with the tires on my Sprinter; if I plan to drive in the snow I will put on chains or change tires. I would never assume that the tires that came with my vehicle would handle snow.

BTW,these tires on the Sprinter are the best tires I've ever had as stock on a brand new vehicle. :thumbup:

Last edited:

zigzagguzzi

05 Interstate, N. Fl.
I agree with Bill. I also have the Michelin tires on my Interstate and had them on my Ford van before I sold it. Exellent tires in wet and dry conditions. With the Sprinter, if I were to drive much in snow, I'd go to either a mud and snow tire or just a snow tire. Chains in the mountains are not only a good idea, but are manditory in some situations.zz

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The Michelin has a M/S version rated the same as its A/S oem version. Any reason why not to spend the extra $10 to get the M/S version?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The Michelin has a M/S version rated the same as its A/S oem version. Any reason why not to spend the extra $10 to get the M/S version?
There's no reason from my perspective to pocket the extra money: I'd get the M/S version. I've put a lot of miles on Michelin LTX M/S - Load Range E. The third steel belt - I'm convinced - has saved me a lot of time and trouble.

I know some people think the Michelin shoulders are softer than they should be, but that's never been a problem for me.

-Jon

Top Bottom