Was it anyone here that made a call about PlastiDip today?

surlyoldbill

My friend dipped his minicooper wheels a few years ago, and when I noticed them a month ago, I thought he had just done it. The stuff CAN be pretty durable.

Question, just use a lot of rattle cans or do you buy it buy the quart/gallon and use a sprayer?

Never mind, I just watched the video.

Last edited:

Geek

Dude! It was painting a motorcycle rack 2-3 years ago.......and you expect me to remember how many coats:lol: I'm totally guessing it was only 2-3:idunno: Certainly wasn't a LOT of coats.

And, It was no surprise that my top case messed it up. :rolleyes: Probably had 5,000 touring/off road miles on it at that point.
Do you still have your 950? :cheers:

I love mine :smilewink:

Geek

My friend dipped his minicooper wheels a few years ago, and when I noticed them a month ago, I thought he had just done it. The stuff CAN be pretty durable.

Question, just use a lot of rattle cans or do you buy it buy the quart/gallon and use a sprayer?

Never mind, I just watched the video.
I have two cans coming and then 7 gallons.
I'll use the cans for "detail edging" before I start spraying with the gun.

They predicted I'll need 9 gallons.. we'll see how it goes.
I'm going to do the van in sections and do each section until it is perfect.. buying more as I go from what I learn as I go.

I'm going to start with the rust issue areas - back doors and above the windshield. Then the hood, then work my way back panel by panel. It'll probably look like the partridge family bus for a while well I wait on more gallons to arrive :bounce:

:popcorn:

cloead

so far i've dipped my bumpers and wheel trim (anything plastic) black

will be doing the rest of the van in gunmetal.. they were closing out the spray cans for $1 each at home depot so I bought them all (got about 16 cans). will see how far that gets me. going to do 1 body section at a time.

7 gallons seems like way too much lol but i'm assuming you ordered from dipyourcar.com? they seem to know their stuff.

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
So, I'm curious how well Plasti-Dip puts up with abrasions? My Sprinter is used for camping and often parked downtown. Both of which has put the roof in contact with tree branches a LOT. I've got some pretty impressive scratches in the paint from them already.

surlyoldbill

Just a thought, I wonder if you put a few coats of plastidip on as a "primer" so it can be removed later, and then sprayed DIY bedliner material over it? When I used the Duplicolor bedliner rattle cans, the stuff was pretty durable.

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Just a thought, I wonder if you put a few coats of plastidip on as a "primer" so it can be removed later, and then sprayed DIY bedliner material over it? When I used the Duplicolor bedliner rattle cans, the stuff was pretty durable.
Interesting idea!

I'm not really too concerned with removal personally. I did bedliner on the roof of my Poptop Eurovan, but the van was already black so it matches very well.

I just don't really want a black roof on the Sprinter and don't want to pay for an expensive one off color bedliner. Plastidip offers more options.

Eurovan top for reference since I mentioned it.

cloead

people have used plastidip as a "removable primer" if you will and then painted other paints over it. IIRC it worked well

T.J.T

people have used plastidip as a "removable primer" if you will and then painted other paints over it. IIRC it worked well
The problem then when you remove it is it doesnt peel off like platsi dip it then chips off because the paint is much harder.

cloead

looks like i recalled incorrectly :rofl:

WOOPSs

one more huge rust patch on my sprinter and it will be plastidip time. cant wait!

SRF

I just called and orderd almost $700 worth of plastidip to spray my Sprinter.

The gent on the phone apparently had a call from someone else just this morning who was inquiring about how much it would take to do a 170wb.

Anyone here?
I'd love to compare notes.
:cheers:

p.s. my order should be here early next week.
May have been me. That's about the time I called and ordered 11 gallons.
I have not had time to spray her yet but as soon as I do, I'll post photos.
She should be done by Monday...

Geek

Look forward to seeing it!
What color did you get?
I sprayed the front half of mine last weekend (after 3 days of scrubbing & masking)

.mobile

SRF

Look forward to seeing it!
What color did you get?
I sprayed the front half of mine last weekend (after 3 days of scrubbing & masking)

.mobile
Your van looks great!!!

I got 8 gal of the gunmetal grey and 3 gal anthracite grey.
Plan to spray it this weekend. I will post picks as soon as I do.
Prep has been tough. little time and tons of old vinyl wrap to slowly peel off...

Geek

:thumbup: Prep is everything. I spent 3 days disassembling/masking/scrubbing the front.

What sprayer are you going to use?
This is the one I used: http://bit.ly/1tywPkv

It is built specifically for plastidip and it is super easy to use/clean.

I ordered 3 more gallons of plastidip today. It turns out it was a good thing to order my first order and then this order separately as I had gotten 693 "dip points" on my first order so I got I got like 95% off one of the gallons due to "dip points" (a gallon of camo is 700 points)

This is how it comes: http://bit.ly/1lWQiwy

Top Bottom