Alarm Sound coming from dash?

Ivessm

2014 Long/Tall BLACK Pass 4Cyl/7sp
I have the same problem with my new 2014 Passenger model. Makes you wonder if MB isn't paying attention or is waiting for it to be fixed on it's own. I have not heard of any service bulletins on this either but I'm also not in the chain to get such info either. This seems to be an isolated instance of this happening that I'm wondering if MB just isn't keeping their head down on this and hoping it goes away. Not likely...

I would guess that if this were happening on their cars that someone would be on this like bees on honey.

We will just have to wait and see and wait and see and wait and see and wait wait wait and see see see. :idunno::idunno::idunno:

stew

slim4511

Sounds like you guys may have identified the problem. As another thought, my Cadillac will give me an audible alarm when something is placed on the passenger seat (not a person). It thinks someone is sitting there and wants the seat belt engaged. You would be surprised how little actually sets that alarm off. Probably not the issue here but thought I would post just in case.

trek130

Hadn't checked the board in a while,but I was the one who started the thread. I had not heard the "bong" in a while and thought maybe had gone away,but yesterday,lo and behold I left the front door open put key in turned on vehicle while I was standing not sitting in vehicle as I had sprinter in park in driveway,,,,bong,bong,,it went,so I shut the doors went in the house came back 5 minutes later and it was off.
I am headed to Charlotte Nc tomorrow for a "check engine" light and 15k service and I plan on bringing the dash sound to their attention along with showing him this thread on the sprinter board.Will keep you posted

Last edited:

trek130

Took Sprinter in for 15k service and explained,,"alert" sound coming from dash.They could not replicate and they have no idea.I called Mercedes customer service while there and explained in detail what I have experienced,they were understanding,put me on hold while they inquired with supervisors,they have never heard of it either,they suggested if it occurs again try to capture a video,,well today it did and I got the video.Will work on posting it.

Ivessm

Trek130 - "they have never heard of it" - BS!!! I guess they need to turn up their hearing aid. It's definitely there. Roger and I both have mentioned it to our sales rep @ Sun Motor Cars. I have read other posts on this forum where shops have replaced parts still with no results in fixing the problem. There is no way that the honchos in the head office haven't heard of this. If the guys in the front office haven't heard of this yet they aren't listening.

Mercedes doesn't understand the power they wield and the very poor example they set when they tell a customer "ah gee, this is the first time we've ever heard of this" especially when it's been written up in this forum and on the Yahoo Sprinter Forum. "Ah, mercedes customer, can you make a video of the sound the next time it happens? Please? Please? Please?" Come on Mercedes get off your ass and do something about this! Enough of this!!!!!!!!:yell::bash:

stew

trek130

Trust me I am one of those individuals who is unrelenting when issues like this come up no matter what it is.I visited a dealership in Knoxville yesterday to check out service dept as they are now servicing Sprinters,just so happened that I had taken a video of what was going on with sound,yesterday morning.He had no idea,his suggestion was leave it with them so they could re-create the sound.Not good enough for me,I am going to call MB service again mention video I have see what happens.I am NOT going to give up:cheers:

Ivessm

Trek130 - I'm with you on that. I have not had mine in for any service yet, I'm just passing through 6K so I still have a bit to go. I'm considering though taking it in for just the dinging and a vibration that comes up in the 50-60MPH range.

I honestly don't think the dinging is a dealership repair unless some software upgrade takes care of it. I honestly don't think it's a dealer mechanic service item. I'm sure the dealer would have to phone home for this one.

Once they do figure out what the problem is I hope they put it out on some bulletin that gets released to the NAFTA dealers. It would be the right thing to do.

stew

trek130

"Sofware Upates"
I took mine to Charlotte NC Sprinter for check engine light and 15k service,rotate tires,
They mentioned a service bulletin that required shaving coating off of connector pin that might be the issue.They performed all the services.I left dealership,20 miles out,Tire pressure alert comes up I go back ,mechanic says Mercedes won't let them reset so you have to drive around awhile for alert to go away,we drove together it disappeared.Left dealership ,100 miles out going up hill engine revs to 3500rpm vehicle only going 58,loss of power.Back to Charlotte,slept in Lowes parking lot(Roadtrek rv) headed to dealership in AM,Tire pressure alert again.Spent several hours at dealer,They showed me 4 pages of software updates,they ran.Right before I left I asked mechanic if he noticed a slight shimmy in steering wheel when driving ,he said Oh yes at 70mph definitely.I said fix it(balance the wheels,that service did not come with rotation).Their main lift was broken,but they found a way to get it up in the air and get the tires balanced,he showed me the digital readouts which indicated they were way out of balance.Anyway smooth sailing back home,then drove it to Knoxville Tn yesterday to check out Dealer that has just been authorized to service Sprinters,90 miles from home,Smooth sailing the whole way.Sprinter ownership has had its moments,but overall I am extremely pleased with performance and quality of vehicle.Hopefully I am just getting the "bugs" worked out.I am learning more and more everyday about the complex and sophisticated engineering that is incorporated into these machines:cheers:

MBGUY

This problem is currently under investigation with Mercedes-Benz, there currently is no repair available. As of now, the easiest way to stop the 'chime' is turn off the vehicle, and dissconnect the ground post (by the throttle pedal). The chime usually goess off when the can system goes to sleep, this is a faster way since that can take several minutes.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
This problem is currently under investigation with Mercedes-Benz, there currently is no repair available. As of now, the easiest way to stop the 'chime' is turn off the vehicle, and dissconnect the ground post (by the throttle pedal). The chime usually goess off when the can system goes to sleep, this is a faster way since that can take several minutes.
The sticker by my disconnect post says that I have to wait for 10 minutes after turning off the engine before disconnecting the battery. How much should I worry about this?

trek130

Where did you receive this information,Thanks

Ivessm

I don't think I would go to the extreme and disconnect the battery connector down by the foot throttle. I think I would just sit in my seat with the key in my hand and wait for the dinging to stop. It would take you about the same time to get out of the vehicle, get a flash light, reach in and find the disconnect, disconnect, wait, reconnect, make sure it's all back correctly, and climb back in. I dare say sitting in the drivers seat with the key in one hand and my smart phone in the other going over emails sure sounds easier to me.

Once the dinging stops I start up and I'm off. Of course after putting my phone away. No texting while driving...

stew

trek130

Yes,I just wait patiently for the "chime","dinging","Bong" ,what ever you want to call it,,disappear.It usually takes about 6-10 minutes,
I just got off the phone with Sprinter Customer Service . A "manager" is supposed to call tomorrow to get involved in the issue,hopefully I can send them the video I have.The journey continues.Will keep updating.:cheers:

FWIW. Back when I first upgraded my audio system to aftermarket equipment and I installed a Metra harness adapter, that includes the CAN bus connections, I experienced this mysterious beeping for a few start/stop cycles of the ignition switch. I seem to remember it was always after I shut the ignition off. Then it went away. That was 2 years ago. I was not able to pinpoint the source of the sound other than from somewhere behind the dash on the drivers side. I assumed it was related to the "foreign" CAN device I just installed. Perhaps causing some CAN issue that one of the CAN enabled devices behind the dash - such as the instrument cluster - didnt like. Then for some reason it cleared up after a time. No codes as far as I know were stored...or at least the MB tech at the next service didnt mention seeing any.

Anyway based on my experience and other comments in this thread, it may be related to something on the CAN bus.

Mtbiker

Just wanted to chime in that I've also experience this issue a couple of times. annoying.
Need to take a video for records for when I'm at the dealership next round.

'14 2500 v6 sprinter

trek130

Mercedes Sprinter regional manager called me today . They are going to contact the Sprinter dealer and manage my case on my next upcoming visit to Sprinter dealer.Will keep updating.

Bandago

I have an update: MB found the problem. Fix coming in November. In the meantime avoid turning on the vehicle with the driver door open when the CAN has gone to sleep.

Ivessm

Bandago, That's great news. I wonder what they have traced it to. November seems a long time off, I wonder if they are going to issue some letter or service bulletin on it.

Thanks for pursuing this. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

stew

Well, problem still exists with the 2015s. (I did a search and found this old thread.) It happened to me the day after I picked mine up.
I do have a habit of starting with the door open. Will have to try closing the door first and see
if that's the cure. I'll report back.

Top Bottom