How long do Sprinter last?

D

dilleyoshempy

Just out of curiosity, what is the average life span for a T1N sprinter used as a typical commercial truck? (Using the engine we have in North America) Any stories of high mileage sprinters or stories about the durability of them would be great, i love to read about positive experiences with "stuff" i own! :idunno::crazy::smirk:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Gee I thought there would have been a nibble on this thread.
How long does a US sprinter last
Answer: How long is a peice of string:smilewink:
I Sprinters and crafty crafters too
Richard

Last edited:

Suba

I recently met a guy who does expediting for Fed-Ex. He recently traded in his 03 which he said had 600,000 miles. He said the engine ran fine, but he was putting too much money into replacement parts. He also said he got $12,000 in trade towards his new 08.

Last edited:

kendall69

If Ford, GM, and Dodge can go 650K, on the engine ( I've seen them at Disney World Airport Shuttles ), and my mechanic has a Toyota pickup with 450K, my guess is 1 million plus, on the engine.

I have seen plenty of recent for sale vehicles that advertise 150k , 175k miles and don't think a thing of it.

The days are long gone where people would think a vehicle is junk at 60k-70k. I purchase a Ford Cube Van at a government auction for 4k, because they thought it was past it's useful life. I drove it for the next 20 years, and put an additional 200k on it, and sold it for $2,500.00.

Now a days I wouldn't think twice about a vehicle over 100k as long as it was taken care of, and you can generally tell if it has been.

Take care of the Sprinter and it will out live you.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I agree on the last comment My body will give up the ghost well before my sprinters does:eek:
One million is not uncommon on a Sprinter
Richard

D

dilleyoshempy

what about the transmission? those guys you work for fed ex, are they still on the original transmission also? or was one of the expensive replacement parts consisting of a tranny?

Suba

You know, I didn't ask him about the transmission. My though is the transmission will not go 600,000 without a rebuild, but who knows. I think you should get at least 300,000 on the transmission if cared for properly, and maybe more. It all depends if your on the highway a lot. The transmission isn't shifting most of the time on the highway, so that should be a plus.

Changing ATF every 40,000 and driving sensibly with no chipping mods should give you a long lived tranny, but some folks have reported early transmission failure. it's hard to determine if there was a flaw in the transmission, or if they simply abused it with neglect or by design.

I had a small leak on my transmission and my shifting became somewhat erratic, but after fixing the leak, by dropping the pan, then draining the torque converter and refilling with Amsoil AFT, my transmission shifts perfectly again.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The manual transmissions on Sprinters are very strong - faults usually stem from driver abuse.

My Sprintshift 'box with over 700,000kms is original. Its casings haven't ever been apart, but it has had a replacement valve block and two replacement pumps (one under warranty). The fluid is changed annually.

No personal experience with the auto, so can't comment.

Do know of several Sprinters around here with more miles than mine though, but then others don't make it past 250,000kms - used and abused from day one though...

Simon

mobileoilchange

you have to be kidding me!!!!!!! i swear, i am so tired of china made products!!!!!!!!! i refuse to buy china!!!!

TRUCKS' MAKERS NEWS WORLD WIDE

* China - Daimler Starts Building $284 Million Van Plant. And buy a 24 percent stake in Beiqi Foton Motor Co.
Beijing,China -Bloomberg, by Tian Ying -Oct. 23, 2007: -- Daimler AG, the world's biggest commercial-vehicle maker, started building a plant in China costing more than 200 million euros ($284 million) as the country's growth boosts van sales... The plant, in the southern city of Fuzhou, will make as many as 40,000 vehicles a year, including Mercedes-Benz Viano and Vito multipurpose vehicles and Sprinter vans. Annual sales of multipurpose vehicles in China may more than double to 500,000 from 200,000 in the next 10 years, according to Daimler... Daimler also plans to buy a 24 percent stake in Beiqi Foton Motor Co., China's largest commercial-vehicle maker. The 816.8 million yuan ($109 million) deal is awaiting government approval...

* China - Hino's, Toyota Motor Corp.'s commercial-vehicle unit, invest of 3.1 billion yuan
Beijing,China -Bloomberg, by Tian Ying -Oct. 23, 2007: -- Hino, Toyota Motor Corp.'s commercial-vehicle unit, and Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. won approval from the Chinese government for a truck and bus venture with a total investment of 3.1 billion yuan in August

if this is true, the quality of the sprinter wont last at all. china junk

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
"Puff the Magic Dragon" Versus USA
OLD NEWS
Add INDIA....... same Deal.
look at what GMbH is into a conglomerate of a giant! that would make a... US corporation pail! "Into insignificance".
........................................................................................................
I'm so tired of Chinese products.
Well US citizens bought Japanese! "because it was cheap" and of a higher quality, than local US products in most cases. due primary to that country investing into advanced R&D.
Taiwan the next on the list now mostly off the shelves. followed next:thinking:
..........................................................................................................
Who was the next!... Mexico...outsourcing labour, except quality control was a problem back. in the early seventies.

Which was the first US company, to out source to China!!!!! 1972-3 for part manufacturing ?
ERTIL: Why because of profit:bow: and greed.fat lot of good it did them.. Ertil is by name only today.

Look at what is on US shelves today.. 90% Chinese made.. How much is US manufactured? Now the fact is most folk wont buy, because its too expensive for their adjusted Braun washed heads to understand... How an embargo can be reversed economically over a thirty year period to bring down the Largest most powerful super power in the world.
Has the lesson been learned!...[ Not yet].. the pain has not become evident enough to the Middle class sector living off the last dregs of the US wealth. What has become of US production ..Cheap labour, slave rates, Higher prices, inflation! that's not taken into account with CPI rises where government presents a different picture that all is well.
Shut the US boarders down, open up a full transparent trade agreement with Canada, and rebuild, before it's too late.
Aligned with Australia as to mineral and gas exports,and advanced technologies intellectual designs that China is hell bent on stealing or buying out, which ever way it runs, she will get the info.. unite with the same deal for trade, form a new strategy to combine equal opportunity to compete, combine the wealth of Australia, Canada, and the US population...and you can defeat the Dragon. Canada is Geo-politically stable as is Australia a three way partnership that can be trusted. to turn the RED Terror on it's own tail China has a weak link, they are venerable.:popcorn: How long can a sprinter last! How long can we afford to keep one.
Richard.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
It's inevitable. The middle class in China is growing rapidly and Daimler needs to take advantage of that growing segment.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
This is so true, an old civilization coming to life a power base to reckon with.
If Daimler did not open and it's now in production in part open a plant, the Chinese would have imported a Sprinter, pulled it apart and copied it.. She does not respect Intellectual or copy right from out-side of her own, Dominican .
Richard
Sino-German -Cooperation
220px-Sino-german_cooperation.png

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Just out of curiosity, what is the average life span for a T1N sprinter used as a typical commercial truck? (Using the engine we have in North America) Any stories of high mileage sprinters or stories about the durability of them would be great, i love to read about positive experiences with "stuff" i own! :idunno::crazy::smirk:
Just sold on EBay Motors- Early '02 (15" wheels) 158 Cargo, 401,662 miles, driven 12 hours/day, 5 days a week, all within Manhattan (New York City) !! That's not an easy life folks.

Seller states NO know major mechanical issues during it's life. Check out the graphics wrap- auction# 220226401829.
Sold for $10,200, 12 bids. Doktor A

Top Bottom